It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

wadelle2 HB User
Anyone else seeing an internist for thyroid?

After almost a year with an endocrinologist, I have not been happy with my treatment. Mostly, I've been unhappy with the lack of information I get from my endo. Most of my questions are answered with, "Well, what do YOU think?" He also flip-flops on his recommendation for surgery. If I'm going to have it done, I at least want the doctor recommending it to be convinced! Anyways, he's the only endo in my area covered my insurance. I happened to hear of an internist in my area who had several thyroid patients. I met with him and received more information in that visit than I've gotten from my endo in the past year. Is an internist normally someone accepted for thyroid treatment? I'm thinking of dropping my endocrinologist entirely and just going to the internal medicing doctor.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
(female)

alliepat HB User
Re: Anyone else seeing an internist for thyroid?

I have a couple of friends that have been very happy with their internal medicine guy managing their thyroid conditions. One had graves and the other one has Hashi's.

Allie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Any type of doctor has the potential to be great at thyroid treatment. Ironically, endos can be the worst, because they so frequently specialize in diabetes and know next to nothing about thyroid. They are often close-minded and seem to have the worst 'bedside' manner of any speciality.

In general, I believe that doctors who practice holistically are the best. Holism is not a spacy, strange alternative speciality. It's simply the philosophy which says that all body systems are intertwined and shouldn't be treated one by one to the exclusion of the others. DOs (doctors of osteopathy) are holists and are frequently good at thyroid. An experienced general practice MD will frequently be thyroid-savvy. It depends on how many thyroid patients he/she sees on a regular basis, and how he/she feels about restoring a patient's total health using lab tests only as a guide, not as the Bible.

My own doctor is a family practice MD, who happens to also be a homeopathic practitioner. He prefers to treat with natural dessicated thyroid almost exclusively, and he treats many thyroid patients. I used to see an endo who didn't serve me well for various reasons. Lots of endos are like that. I happen to think that an endo is definitely not a necessity for the simpler cases of hypothyroidism. The excellent ones among them are probably more useful and necessary for hyperT and hypoT with gnarly physical gland problems like large nodules and goiter.

An internist or other speciality may not be able to address your surgical concerns; but if you need help with adjusting your meds and thyroid levels, he/she may do you more good than any endo.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
(female)

snowfall HB User

I see an internist and I am very happy with her. I did try and endo and he was horrible....treated me all wrong and I was a mess, I swear he didnt know what he was doing!!!!!

I had one internist until he retired and he was great....after he left I got another internist and she is also wonderful.

Good luck!!!!

Closed Thread