It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

Iloveturtles HB User
Swollen Thyroid, what does it mean?

I went to the after hours clinic last night because it felt like I had a tennis ball in my throat. The doc looked in my throat and said it looked really nasty and did a strep and mono test which were negative, thank goodness but it doesn't explain my throat being nasty. The only reason I can think of why it is that way is because I have been coughing for three months straight! He also said that my thyroid was swollen and that is why I was feeling like I couldn't get air and why I was having the fullness in my neck. I have a thyroid uptake test tomorrow. So, what exactly does it mean to have a swollen thyroid? It feels better today...With a swollen thyroid, does it feel different every day

Thanks,

B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Re: Swollen Thyroid, what does it mean?

It means you have a goiter. With Chronic thyroiditis some people have normal lab results with the neck swelling some of the symptoms include pain in the neck which is unusual some have chest pain trouble swallowing or a sensation of fullness in the neck maybe some symptoms of hyperthyroidism and when this happens blood tests wont be normal. Im not saying you have this l have hyper t (graves) and some days my goiter is bigger than others. I used to have a cough before l was dxn with hyper t too lm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to explain better than l am right now got a head full of fog today good luck with everything

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

Iloveturtles HB User

niecsey,

Thanks so much for your reply. You did a great job explaining it.
Will a goiter show up on a thyroid uptake scan? My TSH actually did come back normal about a month ago, but my Vitamin D came back very low and my usual temp is like 97.4 and I also have a low blood pressure all the time. Also, my hair is thinning and it seems like I am losing more hair then usual.

Thanks again!

Old 03-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi the scan will show the shape and size of the gland it will measure how active the thyroid is. If your thyroid is overactive it will take up more iodine if its underactive it will take up less.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ps. did l answer to you on another board today (general maybe?)

Old 03-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
(female)

Iloveturtles HB User

I am sorry, I don't remember you replying to another post...

Old 03-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lol just your post sounded like one id answered to earlier on another board general maybe?

Closed Thread