It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #1

ljs3 HB User
What type Dr. treats your thyroid disorder?

I've had hypothyroidism for almost 10 years now. I have my tsh checked every 6 months and it's always within the normal range so my synthyroid dosage has never had to be changed. In other words, it's been very manageable. I've always had my tsh checked by my family Dr. When it's time to renew my RX I just call my Dr's office and she orders the lab work. Lately I've been wondering if I should see a Dr. that specializes in thyroid disorders, even though I've never had any problems. Opinions?

Old 03-09-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Re: What type Dr. treats your thyroid disorder?

Hello-

It probably wouldn't be bad idea to see an endocrinologist. That is what they do. Everything in the endocrine system.

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
(female)

also2tired HB User

I see a doctor who focuses on holistic and integrative medicine. I really like him because he does not focus on the tsh as much as most doctors do. He does not believe in the so-called "normal" tsh reference ranges, and his policy is to at least let a person try thyroid hormones if they have symptoms of hypo.

In my opinion, I would not switch doctors if I were you if you are happy with the one you have and do not presently suffer from symptoms. It seems that most endos focus on the tsh to the extent that many people do not get satisfactory treatment. Most endos would probably tell me that my thyroid was fine and in no need of treatment because my tsh was not high enough (2.95) to indicate a thyroid problem, despite the fact that I have almost every single complication of hypothyroidism listed in the textbooks! My tsh has also plummeted to hyper levels now since I have been on medication, but my free t4 and free t3 are still too low. An endo would declare that I was hyper and decrease the meds because they are trained to think that the tsh is the only thing that matters. From reading these boards, I have found a few people who are very satisfied with their endos, but a lot of people are quite frustrated with them. Thus, just because that is their specialty does not mean that you will always get better care from them than from an ordinary family doctor. You just need to find someone who is open-minded about your health care. Sometimes that is an endo, and sometimes that is a holistic doctor, naturopath, D.O., an ob-gyn, general practitioner, etc.

I hope you are feeling well.

Last edited by also2tired; 03-09-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I completely agree with also2tired. If you feel well, don't ask for trouble by switching doctors. Too many of them - most especially endos - are completely clueless about how to treat this, you risk relapsing if you go elsewhere.

Closed Thread