It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
synthroid increase and dizziness

hi all

i'm wondering if today's new symptom is due to a recent increase of levothyroxine. i've been on 25 mcg for a month and started taking 37.5 mcg 5 days ago. i've been slowly increasing meds for 5 months now (dont ask) but this is the first day i started feeling off-balance/dizzy. it gets worse if i bend my head certain ways, or move around a lot.

the increase, and getting closer to an effective dose- is the only thing i can think of that may be causing this. anyone know for sure?

thanks!
j

Last edited by scoot; 03-09-2006 at 06:05 PM.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: synthroid increase and dizziness

You'd have to be pretty sensitive to the meds for it to be from an increase just started 5 days ago, it takes a while for an increase to even take effect. I get dizzy like that sometimes simply when my thyroid levels are too low. Your levels will fluctuate throughout the day and many things can cause lower levels including the weather. If it continues or gets worse call your dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

HI scoot, you are me all over. If I take thyroid meds, my TSH drops, my FT4 drops and my FT3 drops on 25mcg and 37.5 mcg and I end up with less circulating hormone in my blood and less for the body to use and more hypo symptoms. When I tried to rais to 50mcg to get my frees up (though my TSH was way down) I only ended up feeling worse on the two week trial...I am not expert, but most posts I read someone may feel poorly for a while, but then they feel better...or the other thing is they feel better a bit for a couple of weeks, start feeling bad again which means for them they need an increase.

My guess for you may be one of the above...one other guess, which I am going to explore for myself is that Synthroid is just not for you. There is Armour (which I tried and did not work for me) but there are also other meds including some with absolutely not horrible fillers (only vegies stuff) from Womens International Pharmacy (not sure if I got the name right as I have not fully research it yet. )

For me I am off all med right now for one month...Pixiek

Old 03-10-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiek
HI scoot, you are me all over. If I take thyroid meds, my TSH drops, my FT4 drops and my FT3 drops on 25mcg and 37.5 mcg and I end up with less circulating hormone in my blood and less for the body to use and more hypo symptoms. When I tried to rais to 50mcg to get my frees up (though my TSH was way down) I only ended up feeling worse on the two week trial...I am not expert, but most posts I read someone may feel poorly for a while, but then they feel better...or the other thing is they feel better a bit for a couple of weeks, start feeling bad again which means for them they need an increase.

My guess for you may be one of the above...one other guess, which I am going to explore for myself is that Synthroid is just not for you. There is Armour (which I tried and did not work for me) but there are also other meds including some with absolutely not horrible fillers (only vegies stuff) from Womens International Pharmacy (not sure if I got the name right as I have not fully research it yet. )

For me I am off all med right now for one month...Pixiek
How are you doing so far pixie being off all meds and everything?

Old 03-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

hi likeme...I will hijack just a little here to say that I am holding on...labs improved and i get new blood test wednesday to check again...can't see all that much difference off meds compared to on...though symptoms differ....symptoms on meds, symptoms off meds...6 of one half dozen of another....more wait and see! thanks for asking! Pixiek

Old 03-11-2006, 04:42 AM   #6
(female)

Lucado HB User

I have been having awful problems with dizziness and losing my balance. My doctor just increased my meds to 100. Gosh I hope this doesn't get any worse. I don't understand all this medicine stuff. She said I was on the high side of normal but increased my dose. I have always had spells with dizziness but this is awful.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
(female)

also2tired HB User

I am on Armour, not synthroid, but I have had problems with dizziness, too. I am not sure if it was because of just being hypo, needing a dose increase, or what, but it was driving me crazy for awhile! The dizziness went away after about two weeks. I hope it gets better for you, too.

Closed Thread