It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
(female)

Charitee HB User
Smile Can you be hypo and hyperthyroid?

I need some help. I haven't found a lot written on this, but I find that I have a good mixture of symptoms of both hypo and hyperthyroidism. I had my thyroid partially removed in January of this year but I still have extreme heat intolerance - which is usually related to hyper. I have weight gain (hypo) but may be attributed to the the prednisone that I take for Rheumatoid Arthritis and some poor eating habits. When I look at the lists for the hypo and hyperthyroidism I find that I have a lot of symptoms on both lists. How I can really tell what I am? The biggest symptom I am dealing with, however, is the heat intolerance. Now that the temperature is rising in the East again, I dread it. It is only in the 60s and I hate it because I am sweating already. Any help anybody can offer would be welcomed. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

6-DeNaults HB User
Exclamation Re: Can you be hypo and hyperthyroid?

I am new too, just diagnosed with mulitple nodules 2 weeks ago and waiting for blood tests etc. Have to have biopsies done on the 20th. BUT...I too seem to suffer from symptoms on BOTH the hypo and the hyper end...for instance most of my symptoms would indicate HYPO but i weight 103 lbs and rather than gain I would lose 3-4 lbs here and there. But after reviewing the lists on both I have MORE HYPO than HYPER symptoms. I have heard that you can fluctuate or alternate from hypo to hyper as well. I know it isnt much to go on, but I have read in articles and seen posted on other boards that there are people who do alternate between the 2.

Melissa

Last edited by 6-DeNaults; 03-10-2006 at 10:24 AM. Reason: bad typing!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
(female)

Julesjewels HB User
Re: Can you be hypo and hyperthyroid?

About 5 years ago I was fluctuating between hyper and hypo. The endo wouldn't touch me. I finally got so upset with the whole thing I never went back. My hemotologist sent me to a new endo last month when he discovered my enlarged thyroid. Cross your fingers my new endo will be able to help! I think I read somewhere that people can fluctuate until the body finally "settles into" one or the other. I don't know.... There are others here with great knowledge and can probably shed more light on this.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
(female)

Charitee HB User
Re: Can you be hypo and hyperthyroid?

After I wrote the first question I did find an article on the Web by Mary Shomon(sp) saying that you could indeed exhibit both symptoms of hyper- and hypothyroidism. That makes me feel a little better and compels me to do more research on the subject. I know I don't fit neatly into one category. Good luck to all.

Closed Thread