It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
(female)

Tracey110 HB User
Test Results...Dr says "normal"....any advice?

Hello all....i have my blood test results....my Dr says these are "normal", but is now doing further tests for thyroid antibodies. He actually seems ok compared to a lot of doctors!!! He told me that "blood results are only part of the picture" and still seems open minded to the idea that i have a thyroid problem. He even said he knows that some drs prescibe a low level of thyroxine even if bloods ok if someone shows signs of hypothyoridism to the extent that i seem to be showing it....he is going to do the antibodies test and redo the tsh etc in 2 weeks time.
Anyway.....levels

TSH 3 (no range given)
T4 14 (said range 9 to 20) and being as i am smack bang in the middle of the range he said absolutely no sign of hypothyrodism according to bloods.

I have so many symptoms though....and they seem to be getting worse. Extreme tiredness, cold ALL the time (especially hands and feet), dry eye syndrome, thumb pain, heel pain, no libido, sinus problems.....the list is ongoing and seems to be extending (didnt have any heel problems til about 2 weeks ago!)

I have done the basal temperature test for about a week now and temp coming in between 96.3 and 97.4. ( I havent discussed this with dr, thought i would do tests again and take results with me after next blood tests)...

Any advice on test results/ your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Tracey (West Mids, England)

Old 03-16-2006, 04:20 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Re: Test Results...Dr says "normal"....any advice?

Hi Tracey ~
Sounds like you've got a good Doc. Many just look at the bloodwork and decide from that alone. Glad he's willing to look farther. GOOD SIGN !!!

I think I've been Hypo for some years. Dry hands/hair, memory probs, depression, easily over heated for no reason, on & on. I just got on Synthroid after having 1/2 thyroid removed, and now am disagreeing with Dr about WHERE my levels should be. She's thinks barely in normal range is OK Be happy when I can get to see Endo.

Sorry, I'm new to this, so i know NOTHING about blood levels. We do have other members who are VERY experienced.

Best of everything to you on this journey,
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

You need more tests. FREE T3 and FREE T4 and also thyroid antibodies.
Your TSH being 3 should send up a flag. Your dr is using an outdated range. The AACE range a while back was .3-2.5 and I believe that it was in the process of being changed to .3-2 Anything above 2 should be investegated further because most people with no thyroid problems will have a TSH below 2 generally closer to or below 1

Get the above tests done. I'm assuming from the range that the T4 you had done is a total, and being at mid range suggests that your Free T4 would be low because the total is bound by protiens and only a small portion of it is free.
Both the free levels will need to be in the upper 1/3 of the labs range, if they are lower then you are lacking enough hormone to feel well.
Push for more testing and let us know what happens.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
(female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User

Dea4, you sound very knowledgable about this. I have had symptoms for awhile and finally got tested and my doctor, based on the accepted range only, thinks there is no problem. my TSh was 1.57, well within thr reference range they gave me of 0.4-5.5.

T4-free was 0.873 They show the ranges as 0.8-1.8
T3 was104 range 60-181

Do different docs use different reference points? I thought the 4 could still be a problem being at the low end of the low. After years of great cholesterol reading, mine have shot up unbeliveable inspite of the healthest diet I have ever had. This is another symptom of thyroid problems. This doctor is not very sympathetic or interested in womens health issues. Could these readings still indicate a problem? All this doc wants to do is push statins on me.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

MAC... find a more knowledgeable doctor. Your free T4 is about where mine was when I started treatment. Granted, my TSH was above normal (unlike yours), but a really good MD will know TSH doesn't mean everything. It's that low-normal FT4 that's causing your symptoms. Your lowish T3 likely means your FT3 is low or low-normal as well.
There are MDs who will agree to a trial of hormone in cases like yours. They can be hard to find, but worth the chase. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
(female)

also2tired HB User

Middleagedcrazy,
I am probably not as knowledgable as Dea4, but I will give my opinion. Even though your tsh looks pretty good to the doctor, your ft4 is at the very bottom of the range. Your t3 (you did not say whether it was free or not; free is more accurate) is below the middle of the range. It would have to be 121 for it to be at the middle, and most people feel better with both ft4 and ft3 in the upper 1/3 of the range. These levels probably account for your symptoms. Both levels need to come up, in my opinion. Also, did your doctor check for thyroid antibodies: TPO and Tg?

You are right about high cholesterol being a symptom of hypothyroidism. I do believe your thyroid is the reason for your symptoms. I know it is frustrating to have "normal" results and have the doctor dismiss your valid complaints. Many of us on these boards have suffered for a long time because doctors are too clueless about thyroid disease. They think it is just a magic game of numbers!

Tracy110,
Your tsh is definitely too high. Get the tests dea4 recommended.

I wish you both luck!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User

Thank you guys so much for your response! This is so frustrating. I am not getting much support from my doc. His answer for everything is take cholesteral meds. It's time to doc shop. Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Yep, that FT4 is too low, no wonder you feel poorly. I would be dragging and feeling so bad at that point that I'd barely be functioning at all.
Good luck on that dr search and keep us posted.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
(female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User

Thank dea4. I see your in texas, I am too. I am in the Dallas Area. Can you recommend any docs? I am so sick of this, it is like having all the joy in life sucked out of you. I would appreciate any info you have about good docs. Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I have a good dr but she will be moving to California in May. Her associate however is also good so I'll continue to see her. Their approach is treat as natural as possible with meds thrown in when necessary. But...I live in the Conroe area and my dr is in Magnolia so it would be quite a drive for you.
I hope you can find a good dr. As big as Dallas is, surely there is one there somewhere. Finding them could be a big job though.

Closed Thread