It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

confused725 HB User
Thyroid conditions and low potassium or high B/P?

Hi again,

Does anyone here know if thyroid diseases can or do cause low potassium levels or even high B/P?

Thx,
love, Rachel

Old 03-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Thyroid conditions and low potassium or high B/P?

As I understand it, with thyroid disease your bp could be high, low, or normal. In other words, bp is usually not diagnostic of thyroid disorder. However, when thyroid disorder is treated, sometimes bp abnormalities will normalize.

Haven't heard of a link between thyroid & potassium, myself.

If bp is high ... some of the antihypertensive drugs mess with potassium levels.

Potassium levels can be off in kidney disease. Care must be taken w/extra potassium in kidney disease.

If you are in good health, you can easily get more potassium from fruits & veg. The standard American diet is too high in sodium, & too low in potassium, for optimum health.

Low potassium & low calcium can lead to elevated bp.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
(female)

confused725 HB User

Elmhar,

TY......I appreciate your reply!
Rachel

Old 03-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused725
Hi again,

Does anyone here know if thyroid diseases can or do cause low potassium levels or even high B/P?

Thx,
love, Rachel
If you're low in magnesium you won't be able to keep your potasium normal. Also you can be having thyroid symptoms/problems if your magnesium is low. You need to look up intracellular magnesium....also magnesium and thyroid. hope this helps

Old 03-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

tawyna HB User

hi,
i have hypothyroid diease. i had mine checked and my potassium was a little low . they called me in and told me. i am on a high blood pressure pill and i am 29 yrs old. i have been on it for about 4 yrs.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi Tawyna,

What did they tell you about your potassium? Why was it low and what # was it? Did they give you suppliments or just tell you to eat more bananas and OJ?

What about your B/P? How high is it that they put you on meds? You are so young.......what med are you taking for the High blood presure?

Also, did they ever mention aything about your adrenal glands? I have low potassium and slightly high B/P......

Hope to hear from you, I'm curious.
Rachel

Old 03-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User

II was taking a diuretic for high blood pressure and then I got sick with vomitting and diarrhea, worked out and sweated a lot and ended up in the ER with hypokalemia and an irregular heart beat. Come to find out I have had low potassium for years. Most likely caused by the diuretic but maybe confounded by my hypothyroidism/Hashi's. I'm trying to sort it all out. It's enough to drive you mad!!

Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

what diuretic do you take?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User

Right now I take Triam/HCTZ. I used to take plain HCTZ. It was killing me, but I didn't know it. My cardio never asked for labs. It was my GP who made the connection. But that still didn't happen until *after* the ER. I think that makes a strong case for playing a part in managing your own health care.

Last edited by Tamsin; 03-21-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsin
Right now I take Triam/HCTZ. I used to take plain HCTZ. It was killing me, but I didn't know it. My cardio never asked for labs. It was my GP who made the connection. But that still didn't happen until *after* the ER. I think that makes a strong case for playing a part in managing your own health care.
You're absolutely right. HCTZ can also deplete magnesium.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
(female)

tawyna HB User

my potassium was off just a little . he was going to put me on a suppliment but we decided for me to eat more bananas and oj. i now am a little nervous about having it rechecked.

my blood pressure was staying on the high side. i also have panic attacks which does not help. i am on toprol xl 25mg. it helps. before i was on it my bp was 160 over 90. it would vary. but toprol helps.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #12
(female)

confused725 HB User

Was it Consistently 160/90 ? Or did it fluctuate?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
(female)

andee730 HB User

Hi, I am a 51yr old female who was diagnosed with high blood pressure out of the clear blue in 1994. I have been on every class of b/p meds since then trying to control it. Through the years I had low potassium but nothing I guess that would cause alarm as it was just borderline low. My b/p never controlled and remained stroke level throughout the yrs, potassium borderline also. In Sept of 2003 I was hospitalized for potassium level of 2.6 and no magnesium and discharged. B/P still remained out of control with medication.
I was just hospitalized again in Oct of 2005 for potassium level of 2.5 and during that inpatient stay an MRI was done and it was found that I had a tumor in my right adrenal gland(sits on top of each kidney and is half the size of your thumb) and a complex mass in my thyroid. The adrenal tumor produces a hormone called aldosterone and this is the cause of my high b/p and my potassium loss(read about condition Aldosteronism). It never showed up in my labs and I have been told by my endocrinologist that a CT should have been done to check for the adrenal tumor as soon as my b/p was diagnosed. I hope this helps you!!!

Last edited by andee730; 03-21-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User

Thanks, andee, very interesting.

My interim labs already showed an increase in potassium by .5, just by stopping the diuretic. But this is good information for all of us.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andee730
Hi, I am a 51yr old female who was diagnosed with high blood pressure out of the clear blue in 1994. I have been on every class of b/p meds since then trying to control it. Through the years I had low potassium but nothing I guess that would cause alarm as it was just borderline low. My b/p never controlled and remained stroke level throughout the yrs, potassium borderline also. In Sept of 2003 I was hospitalized for potassium level of 2.6 and no magnesium and discharged. B/P still remained out of control with medication.
I was just hospitalized again in Oct of 2005 for potassium level of 2.5 and during that inpatient stay an MRI was done and it was found that I had a tumor in my right adrenal gland(sits on top of each kidney and is half the size of your thumb) and a complex mass in my thyroid. The adrenal tumor produces a hormone called aldosterone and this is the cause of my high b/p and my potassium loss(read about condition Aldosteronism). It never showed up in my labs and I have been told by my endocrinologist that a CT should have been done to check for the adrenal tumor as soon as my b/p was diagnosed. I hope this helps you!!!

You had no magnesium level?

Closed Thread