It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #1

florie HB User
Question for people with hyperthyroid??

Hello everyone,

I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroid disorder 6 months ago. I'm waiting for it to go away on its own as I'm told that I have a postpartum related disorder. The symptoms are still very much uncomfortable.

WHat bothers me the most are the palpitations. It seems they are getting worse. I feel like my heart is jumping out of my chest super fast. It pounds but only lasts a few seconds. During those few seconds, I feel so faint that I need to grab on to something or sit down. Does anyone here with a hyperthyroid disorder get dizzy + faint when heart starts to jump out? It would help to know what others feel with their palpitations.

Also, is exercising still ok when we have a hyperthyroid disorder. I started going to the gym and am wondering if it's a bad idea. I try to limit myself to low intensity stuff.

THanks, your help is greatly appreciated,

Sarah

Old 03-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User
Re: Question for people with hyperthyroid??

Are you still breastfeeding? Beta-blockers can help a lot with the symptoms you are having, but i don't know if they are contraindicated for breastfeeding moms.

Ellie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

Florie...definitely ask your dr about beta blockers to protect your heart while you are hyper.

On exercise....As long as you do not collapse afterward that is a good sign. Exercise can stimulate the thyroid. It might be a good idea to put a hold on the gym membership for now. Or stick to slow/moderate walkig.

It all depends on your recovery time after you exercise. It shouldn't take you more than 10 to 15 min of recovery time no matter how long you exercise. I have muscle weakness and fatigue (my strongest symptoms). I used to exercise for 20-30 min in the mornings then rest for 1-2 hours (it was a have to thing - couldn't function otherwise). When I shut that down I realized that not only did I not have bad recovery time but more endurance throughout the day. For me the exercise made things worse. This was hard for me b/c I have exercised daily for over 20 years. I now view daily activities as exercise (such as cleaning house, working, shopping, cooking). I am also doing more physically than I have in a few years.

Are you on any meds for the hyperT? If not, I DO NOT like your dr! Your hyper "phase" (if you will) should not go untreated until it calms down. That could take a couple of years. In that time damage could be done. Especially to your heart. Beta blockers will protect your heart.

Hopefully your dr ruled out other causes of hyperthyroidism like the presence of nodules, goiter, or anti-thyroid antibodies before he said it was postpartum thyroiditis. What tests did he do before diagnoses?

Hyperkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Last edited by hyperkim; 03-20-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #4

florie HB User

Hi thanks for your replies. I'm not breastfeeding. I stopped when I began taking apopropanolol a while back. Is that a beta blocker? I got multiple blood tests done since this all began. I got a scan/image taken which showed I had a "thyroidite sub-aigue du postpartum" (sorry french terminology). My second last blood test showed that my condition was improving. So my doctor told me to stop taking the apopropanolol. I gradually diminished the dosage but my palpitations + other hyperthyroid symptoms got worse again so I didn't stop taking the meds (but I'm taking like half the dosage). I got another blood test done 1 week and a half ago and I suspect that the results will show that I'm hyper again.

Anyhow I feel like crap. I'm afraid to have a heart attack. Do you feel about to pass out when you get palpitations sometimes?

thanks again.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
(female)

tkopp HB User

Hi...I read your post and wanted to comment. I have Graves Disease (hyper), and I am on propanalol. Yes it is a beta blocker. Before I was put on it, I felt the same as you. Like I was gonna have a heart attack. I still have the palpitations, even on the med, but not as bad. I do feel faint and dizzy but it goes away pretty fast. What tests did they run this time? I'm sorry you feel so bad...and with a small child! If your system is out of whack again, you're gonna feel like dookie all the time. They are still trying to get mine under control, and I still feel like poo. Let me also say that one of the side effects of propanalol is fatigue...but I'm willing to deal with it as long as it helps the heart probs.

Take care,
Tuesday

Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Hi, just wanted to mention that you should NEVER stop a beta blocker cold turkey(propranolol is a beta blocker). You must always slowly WEAN off of a beta blocker. Stopping it cold turkey can cause heart issues.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi florie,

I too get very bad papitations where i can feel the beating in my head. Mine can last for some 30 minutes at a time.

How fast does your hear rate go? Are there any side effects to propanalol? Did it help a lot with the palps?

I try to do breathing exercises (altho it sounds cliche) it does help.
I dont get faint but i do feel I need to sit and relax. My chest will hurt as well if its a long lasting one.
Rachel

Old 03-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #8

florie HB User

hi,

I just got the results of my last blood test and apparently my thyroid levels are back in normal ranges. I should be happy but... I'm confused now. Why do I still have these crazy palpitations if my thyroid levels are ok? I'm taking propanolol now 20 mg twice a day but my doctor wants me to wean off of them. But I kind of feel like I need them. I'm not sure it's helping though cuz I still get palpitations. I had my most "serious" episode yesterday. Could all of this be anxiety related? I recognize I've been very anxious. I'm so worried I have heart problem. I did get a holter test + an ecg and I was told everything was normal. Am not sure what's next....

Old 03-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #9

florie HB User

hi,

I just got the results of my last blood test and apparently my thyroid levels are back in normal ranges. I should be happy but... I'm confused now. Why do I still have these crazy palpitations if my thyroid levels are ok? I'm taking propanolol now 20 mg twice a day but my doctor wants me to wean off of them. But I kind of feel like I need them. I'm not sure it's helping though cuz I still get palpitations. I had my most "serious" episode yesterday. Could all of this be anxiety related? I recognize I've been very anxious. I'm so worried I have heart problem. I did get a holter test + an ecg and I was told everything was normal. Am not sure what's next....

Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
(female)

tkopp HB User

It is so natural to be anxious. I was. A lot of information I've been finding on thyroid disorders has stated that stress and anxiety are not only symptoms, but triggers for your symptoms to get worse. My doc said to not be under any stress. I looked at her like 'stress and anxiety are symptoms of graves disease...how the heck am I gonna do that?' Here is what I do. I think back to all the tests they did on my heart, and they all came back ok. Then, I convince myself that even though my mind and body is trying to convince me that my heart is going to explode, or pound out of my chest, that it is not going to. I keep telling myself that it is going to be ok. It doesn't work all of the time, but it does help. Believe me --- it is hard trying NOT to be anxious and stressed with everything going on, but it's worth a try.
I hope you feel a lot better soon.

Take care,
Tuesday

Old 03-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Being told that your levels are "normal" is not enough. You need to get copies of your lab reports and see what tests are being run. Ideally you would want your FT4 and FT3 to be above the 50% level of the normal range.

It's quite common for us to be overmedicated on ATD's at some point...so get those copies of your labs!

Palpitations can be a symptom of *both* hyper and hypo.

Closed Thread