It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

Linda in TX HB User
Tingling in Hands - Thyroid problem or what?

I had a complete Thyroidectomy & (1) Parathyroid removed in Nov. 05. Am doing OK but still not sure if my meds are regulated just right. I have a tingling in my hands like they are sleeping - usually my right hand goes to sleep more than the left. Is this still part of a thyroid problem? I had this before my surgery. I have no pain - it just feels like my hands are tingling & sleeping. Sometimes during the night I wake up & my right arm is tingling so I hang it off of the bed & it wakes up. I can be driving down the road & have my hand on the steering wheel & it goes to sleep. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Linda in TX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User
Re: Tingling in Hands - Thyroid problem or what?

This sounds like typical carpal tunnel syndrome, which is more common in people with thyroid disease. A nerve to the hand gets pinched as it passes through the "tunnel" of bones in the wrist. In thyroid patients, it may be due to fluid retention or myxedematous changes in the tissues crowding the tunnel. It is worse when you flex your hands down towards your arm.

Hopefully it will improve as your thyroid levels improve. People often use wrist braces at night for this (keeps you from flexing your wrist in your sleep). Sometimes they do a surgery to release a restricting tissue in the wrist. (Carpal tunnel runs in my family, my mother and brother had surgery for it, some of my aunts and cousins too, my sister had it when she was pregnant. Somehow I managed to avoid it, but I'm bigger-boned than they are, which helps.)

Ellie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
(female)

kathy590 HB User

I have had carpal tunnel in one wrist and Ulner nerve disorder in the other arm. Exact same symptoms. Worse at night or if I'm pushing a lawnmower or something. If you wear a brace to keep your wrist or elbow straight at night, that will prevent the tingling feeling. I had a TT in February, and I was hoping by some miracle, this would disappear. I have had it for 13 years and have only 50% chance that surgery will fix it, so I live with it.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
(male)

MyBowTie HB User

I was going to say carpel tunnel too. I get that also from being on the computer all day, every day. Its common with thyroid patients.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

Linda in TX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie342
This sounds like typical carpal tunnel syndrome, which is more common in people with thyroid disease. A nerve to the hand gets pinched as it passes through the "tunnel" of bones in the wrist. In thyroid patients, it may be due to fluid retention or myxedematous changes in the tissues crowding the tunnel. It is worse when you flex your hands down towards your arm.

Hopefully it will improve as your thyroid levels improve. People often use wrist braces at night for this (keeps you from flexing your wrist in your sleep). Sometimes they do a surgery to release a restricting tissue in the wrist. (Carpal tunnel runs in my family, my mother and brother had surgery for it, some of my aunts and cousins too, my sister had it when she was pregnant. Somehow I managed to avoid it, but I'm bigger-boned than they are, which helps.)

Ellie

Ellie,
Thanks for the info. I think that it might be carpal tunnel too since it didn't go away when I had my TT. It sure is annoying. Guess I better go see the DR.
again.

Linda in TX

Old 03-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Wink Re: Tingling in Hands - Thyroid problem or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBowTie
I was going to say carpel tunnel too. I get that also from being on the computer all day, every day. Its common with thyroid patients.

What is??? The carpel tunnel, or being on the computer all day?!! LOL

I had/have this too. It was the worst before I got on thyroid meds. Tingling, pins and needles and burning pain, and numbness too. It did get better, but I still have pins and needles..sometimes it will be real bad, like sharp needles for a few days, really painful too. I read as well that tingling and pins and needles is also an autoimmune symptom. Maybe that's why we get it. I can't lie on my side watching TV with my head resting on my hand for more than about 5 or ten minutes...things like that can start it up again.

Ugh...it's Nasty! I'm wondering too if it's possibly permanent nerve damage....I hope not!

Deda

Old 03-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
(male)

MyBowTie HB User

Deda, u smart A#$! How's things? It is Nasty, isn't it?

Just like that darned thyroid, once you've got the problem it is so hard to get rid of it.... Howz your skoal thing going?

The tingling from carpal goes along with all the other odd appendage things, buzzing, zaps, numbness, etc.....its just fun from beginning to end with these thyroid troubles.

Last edited by MyBowTie; 03-26-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Wink Re: Tingling in Hands - Thyroid problem or what?

Now the word "Nasty"... that's an understatement for some/most thyroid symptoms!! !!!!!

I'm doing....things aren't too bad. All of my thyroid symptoms are gone, except for that tingling (now and then..which I can live with), but one thing that lingers are these tight muscles in my torso area. I get them in the front of my chest, midriff area, abdomen,...those places, tho not always all at once. I was having muscle spasms pretty severe there for a long while in my upper back, and thankfully, that finally went away. Geez Louise, I wish this would go too. It has improved from 1 month ago, and 2 months ago, but it's so terribly annoying, I want it gone for good! I'm going to my Dr. this week and telling her, "ENOUGH ALREADY!!!" She does give me Flexeril for it, which seemed to help the back, but not the front. And Klonopin helps out too, but I don't want to keep taking that...it makes you lazy! I'm going to ask her to check my magnesium level...altho I do take it daily, I wonder still if I'm low in that. My calcium and potassium levels are good. Typing on here makes it hurt and spasm, even if it was fine right before that. At times it feels very numb too..but that could be spasms, I think. We are thinking of turning off our Internet service, in order to KEEP me off here for good, (for a while), altho I have cut my time down on here big time. Maybe just getting off here for good for a while might let these muscles heal up. If not, I'll take up her offer for some PT. I just haven't felt like going down there back and forth...I do enough Dr. stuff already...Anyway, when I did do PT years ago, it was just a lot of ice-ing, deep massages and was supposed to go back to learn stregthening exercises, but never did. Maybe it would help. What's strange is, some days, (rarely) I am symptom free, even typing away on the computer...does that make any sense??

The SKOAL!!! LOL Doing fine, but still chewing the gum a bit...on my last box tho...this time I MEAN IT!!!!! How are you doing with that? I think it would be hard to give up until you get your thyroid problem in order. Any luck there? Hope you're feeling fairly well these days...meaning better.

Good seeing you...
toodles,
Deda

Last edited by Deda; 03-27-2006 at 12:29 AM.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #9
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

I have osteoarthritis and had to have wrist surgery to remove a very small bone that has no use...lol. Just to find out if I have tendons/ligaments damage....the had to numb the three joints in the wrist....then they would insert a needle with iodine and shoot it in between the joints in the wrist. It was so painful my back was off the table on the last one the doctor had to do. To find out if you had arthritis because the location where I was having problems was the wrist....the intern had to inject I believe iodine into my foot....well he popped my vein and he almost got something popped also...lol. It took two doctors to finally get the needle into the vein. Then I had to wait around for a couple hours and then come back to sit on a chair and then lean up against a table and halfway lay across with my arms out and on the table and had to stay still. The doctors thought I may have had carpal tunnel syndrome. Thank goodness I didn't have the surgery for that. My fingers are always swollen...some days worse than others. I am not on any meds for this except taken motrin/advil just about everyday.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
(female)

Betsyp HB User

Hi Linda. I have exactly the same thing. I had my TT in December. I'm hoping as my levels gets adjusted, the tingling will go away. In any event, I am having a nerve induction study done next month to see how much the carpal tunnel has progressed. Surgery is an option, but I'm hoping the meds kick in. If not, the brace at night works wonders. Betsy

Old 03-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
(female)

shellandstones HB User

What is your calcuim levels like- could they have damaged the parathyroid?

Old 03-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #12
(female)

Betsyp HB User

Hi all. I have an appointment with my endo tomorrow to get my levels checked and see if I need an increase to help with the carpal tunnel. My GP has me scheduled for a nerve induction study and then a consult with a surgeon for possible surgery to correct the carpal tunnel. I'm hoping a bump in meds with take care of the whole thing. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Betsy

Old 03-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
(female)

nr2go HB User

Hi. Found this discussion interesting.

I have both hypothyoidism and hashimoto's disease. I also had hyperparathyroid disease. Additionally, I had been having problems with my hands/arms tingling/numb when I wake in the mornings for some time.

I went to see a neurologist back in February and was diagnosed with bilateral carpal tunnel. I had told him that this seems to happen primarily after waking in the morning and that I thought it was a problem with my neck. I was told that I should wear wrist braces while I sleep and that would help. Was also told that if it didn't improve that i might need surgery. I thought that maybe it might be due to the parathyroid disease since it can affect nerves and muscles. I had a parathyroidectomy recently and the tingling seemed to get worse. I was told there would be some pain in the back of my neck following surgery, but that it would go away in a day. Well, it didn't neither did the tingling/numbness in my arms/hands. I still thought maybe there was something wrong with the back of my neck since I was having pain there after the surgery. I went to see an orthopedic surgeon a few weeks ago and was sent to have a MRI done. He also gave me some steriods to take for 6 days which greatly helped with the pain on the back of neck. It also made the tingling in my hands/arms go away as well. Today I took the MRI film to my orthopedic surgeon. He went over the MRI scans and showed me that I have 2 herniated discs in my neck that are pressing a little on my spinal cord. This is what is causing the tingling/numbness in my arms and hands.

My reason for wanting to share this is that while you have symptoms that may indicate hypothyroidism you might have an entirely different problem. I'm not saying that your don't have hypothyroidism, but that you might also have another problem like I did that may have similar symptoms. Hyperparathyroidism affects the nerves, muscles, and bones. It can easily be identified through a blood test. Since you are having blood work done anyway ask your doctor to check your calcium levels as well. High calcium levels are indicative of hyperparathyroidism. If you've ever had a neck injury, you might want to have an MRI done on your neck.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the underlying cause of your carpal tunnel symptoms. I was hoping mine would go away after the parathyroid surgery, but my carpal tunnel symptoms are due to the herniated discs.

Last edited by nr2go; 03-31-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:01 AM   #14
(female)

CyberGodess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda in TX
I had a complete Thyroidectomy & (1) Parathyroid removed in Nov. 05. Am doing OK but still not sure if my meds are regulated just right. I have a tingling in my hands like they are sleeping - usually my right hand goes to sleep more than the left. Is this still part of a thyroid problem? I had this before my surgery. I have no pain - it just feels like my hands are tingling & sleeping. Sometimes during the night I wake up & my right arm is tingling so I hang it off of the bed & it wakes up. I can be driving down the road & have my hand on the steering wheel & it goes to sleep. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Linda in TX
What you describe is most definitely a hypothyroid symptom. Do you take hormone replacement? Without adequate hormone replacement doses your symptoms will gradually occur more frequently and become more intense. In five years time, I went from tingling in the fingers to complete numbness of both arms (it became chronic). As soon as I got back on hormone replacement, the symptoms disappeared (but would gradually come back after several weeks) until I got on a high enough dosage to eliminate these symptoms completely.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
(female)

Linda in TX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGodess
What you describe is most definitely a hypothyroid symptom. Do you take hormone replacement? Without adequate hormone replacement doses your symptoms will gradually occur more frequently and become more intense. In five years time, I went from tingling in the fingers to complete numbness of both arms (it became chronic). As soon as I got back on hormone replacement, the symptoms disappeared (but would gradually come back after several weeks) until I got on a high enough dosage to eliminate these symptoms completely.

Hi there,

I was reading over the post to my quote this afternoon & ran across yours. I take .150 mcg of synthroid - I was taking .175 mcg but the Dr changed it because my T3 was normal & my was high. I am on the computer all day at my job - but I'm just not sure which way to go. I guess I need to tell my Dr - he is so thorough - guess he will have me on the run again for tests etc.

How much hormone replacement do you take?

Linda

Closed Thread