HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Got sum sort of a diagnosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/377963-got-sum-sort-diagnosis.html)

confused725 03-28-2006 01:35 PM

Got sum sort of a diagnosis

Hi all,

Hoping all is well w/ everyone.

Went to a 2nd endo today. Just wanted another oppinion. He says I have Hashimotos thyroiditis. Says its like being allergic to your own thyroid. Told me that hopefully, my thyroid will burn itself out so i can then be permanently hypo (because I'm having such HYPER syptoms).

Explained to me that because i have TPO ab & TG ab, they are playing tug of war so i can expect to be hyper at times then hypo. (not sure if this was the hypo part but I actually slept the past 2 nights.) perhaps it is. What do you think?

He did take a test for Lupus, only because ive been having joint pains but told me this is very common in patients with thyroid disease, I think he did it to satisfy me more than anything.

He said for me to keep check of my pulse (1st thing in the morning, before even rising) just to be sure weather I'll need beta blockers.

As of now he doesnt want to give any thyroid drugs because of the fact that all other labs are normal and does not want to interfere w/ the thyroid failure because it can cause me to become more hypo.

This is the 3rd oppinion that is the same. He said he will recheck the blood in 3 months.

What do you all think?

Rachel

hyperkim 03-28-2006 02:19 PM

Re: Got sum sort of a diagnosis

I think its a good start. What did he say about your TSI levels?

NikkiNak 03-28-2006 06:03 PM

Hello-

I agree with Kim. That is a fantastic start. At least to know you have hashi's is something. My endo wouldn't even acknowledge that I carry graves antibodies. I just posted some info. that she had sent my GP and it is a joke.

I know how frustrating it can be with thyroid disease. Hang in there it can only get better right?

Nikki

confused725 03-28-2006 06:54 PM

I guess its good but still confusing.

He didn't outwardly come out & say "you have". I had to say, I'm a bit confused, "when my family asks what do I have, what shall I say".....and thats when he said thyroiditis.......I said oh, but is it Graves disease? He said, its basically Hashis thyroiditis.

He was really trying his hardest to help me understand but my mind seems so hooked on HYPER, Hyper, hyper, that anything hypo just seems odd. (I'm sure some of you will relate to that.)
This is why he explained the tug of war....going back n forth.

I did ask if he can just take it out cause i dont want to deal w/ this and he very quickly said no. Said that can cause even worse problems (Even becoming MORE hyper) which surprised me.

Ahh, I forgot, Kim to ask about the TSI Ab......shoot!
Now I'm not sure which endo to stick with. The 1st one was really good too. :rolleyes: Thats the thing about 2nd oppinions...ya know?

Rachel