It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

lescobarca HB User
Question Goiter Removal

I was wondering if when you have a goiter removed do they also remove your thyroid. I have a large goiter and it is starting to make it like something is caught in my throat all the time the doctor said she could remove it but I am worried if the will remove the thyroid at the say time? I have hyper thyroid and I would like to keep it? Anyone who knows please let me know.
Thanks

Old 03-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

Bemm4 HB User
Re: Goiter Removal

I had a large goiter with multiple nodules on my thyroid. I had my whole Thyroid removed because I was having trouble swallowing. I was so happy to have the whole thing taken out. I am able to swallow again. I am hypo though. I don't think it matters but, I am not sure. I know alot of doctors moniter the goiter over time but, my doctor said I had one of the criteria to have it removed. I couldn't swallow with out choking, even on water. As far as having the whole thyroid removed or partial is up to the doctor. I had the whole thing removed because of all of those nodules. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The definition of "goiter" is "enlarged thyroid gland". Same thing. If the goiter is removed, the thyroid is being removed.
Now, if you were told you have a "nodule", that's different. A nodule is a kind of lump on the thyroid. You could have a nodule, or many nodules, on an enlarged gland (goiter). A large nodule causing throat problems can be removed by itself, while most of the gland is left in place.

If you're having trouble sorting all this out, read Thyroid For Dummies, by Dr. Alan Rubin. It contains all the basic information about thyroid disease in an understandable format.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
(female)

lescobarca HB User

Thank you, I do not know a whole lot about the thyroid but I do have multi-nodule toxic goitier, and am having trouble swallowing the thing I am concerned about is if they remove the whole thing I would go hypo right? I have read that you have a lot of diffrent symptoms being hypo that are diffrent then being hyper and I do not know which one is worse.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
(female)

patrice43015 HB User

back in 85,i had a goiter and thats what was causing my thyroid to be hyper,they had to remove it cause i was so hyper it was affecting my heart rate,i was in the hospital 3 weeks,well they gave me rai and it just ate the goiter and took my thyroid,,,,,,sure i felt good being hyper,i lost a bunch of weight,and i was never tired,but it got so bad i got dehydradted,and once i ended up in the hospital and almost dead,,,,.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescobarca
... I do not know which one is worse.
Well, uncontrolled hyper is more dangerous - more imminently life-threatening due to the possibility of dangerous heart arrhythmias. Hypo is 'safer', and if you have a really good thyroid doctor, who is open-minded about prescribing the proper dose and type of thyroid hormone, hypo might be the better of the two evils. The problem is that there are so few of that type of MD in the world. They so often want to keep us undermedicated.

Your main problem now, as I see it, is that growth in your neck. When a hypo person's thyroid expands, the right dose of hormone can sometimes keep it from getting larger, or may even shrink it. Obviously, you can't take any extra hormone. I'm not sure that leaves you many options.

How is your hyperT being controlled now? Are you on anti-thyroid meds? If so, are you sure the dose isn't too high, causing your gland to swell in an attempt to provide more hormone to make up for the possible overmedication?

I'm not personally familiar with hyperT, nodules, or goiter, so I don't know how to advise you from here. I can tell you that there have been several members here over the past few years who've had total thyroidectomies and done very well afterward, due to the excellent MDs they had replacing their missing hormones.

I wish you the best in making your decision.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
(female)

lescobarca HB User

Yes I am currently taking tapozole but I have the does checked quite often I do not know what the blood test number are but have been on meds for a year and they are still not in normal limits, my throat never bothered me until the last few months now it is like there is something stuck in there and I can not get it out. Thanks so much for all of you r advice

Closed Thread