It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
(female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User
Swelling feet, knees and hands...

I still have my thyroid and have been taking 100 mcg of Synthroid for about 14 days now. I know things get worse before they get better, but I hate this.

Everyday my hands, knees and feet swell. I wore tennis shoes yesterday, which should be really comfortable and I had to keep loosening the laces.

I don't eat any salt and am drinking lots of water, but I keep swelling.

I'm sure I need to go up on my dose of Synthroid. Any idea when the swelling will go away or is this a life long thing now?

How long before people usually go up on their dose? I live in Texas and I am afraid of the hot weather (I could swell up so much my clothes might hurt me)!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

tawnyjade HB User
Re: Swelling feet, knees and hands...

I've been swelling so much lately, too. It is VERY uncomforable. My swelling is more around my gut and thighs. I was 125 lbs. before my TT in November. I am usually 133 now. About three weeks ago I swelled to 145 for 3 days. Onthe 4th day I woke up and actually felt smaller and a whole lot more comfortable. I was 140. The next day 133. WHY??? No idea. I can't remember ever having water gain, and that's all I can think it could have been. It's been happening since, but only up to 140, thank goodness!
I mentioned this to my pharmacist to ask if I could take a diuretic(sp), and he said "MAKE SURE YOU CALL YOU DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY AND LET HER KNOW ABOUT THIS>>>IT COULD BE SOMTHING SERIOUS!!!!" My doctors don't seem concerned, but I am!
Is this just another fun part of being hypo?

Oh, I got my GP to prescribe a diuretic 2.5 to 5mg of Torsemide. Tried 2.5 for 2 days, then 5, then 7.5. Made NO difference. Didn't even make me pee more. Of course since my TT I am always thirsty so I drink tons of water, so I pee at least once an hour.

Hopefully someone will come on here with some ideas to help us.

Tawny

Last edited by tawnyjade; 04-11-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread