It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 01:34 AM   #1
(female)

mangosky HB User
Question right back (shoulder blade) pain and difficulty in breathing

Hi,
I am 31 years old, a mother of 6. When I was around 13 yrs old I had thyroid and was on medication for a long time. I stopped the medication couple of years before having my first child. Lately, I was feeling fatigue most of the time. A check with the doctor and ts/t3 blood test confirm I'm having the throid again. It was mild, so said the doctor. So I was back on medication. It have since been a week. 3 days into the mdication, I had breathing difficulties and this back pain on the right houlder blade, somewehere beside/below it. I can't seem to be getting enough air without yawning and the back hurts everytime I breathe in. I went to the doctor, unfortunately the doctor I saw earlier is on leave. This doctor told me that it was 'nothing'. And that my flu cause it. I was like ... I knew something is just not right with me. Yes I've had frequent flu but never this. And I felt feverish most of the time. I knew I'm always hot due to the thyroid. I suspected, there could be something wrong with my spleen/liver? my upper abdomen seems to be large. People would ask if I'm pregnant. Anyone had this symptoms?

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: right back (shoulder blade) pain and difficulty in breathing

Hi Mango,

Docs who say a patient's symptoms are "nothing, just the flu" -- and that, gee the patient has "frequent flu," should be fired. This isn't medical CARE, it's laziness.

Did your back/shoulder blade symptoms start up after going back on the thyroid med, or did you have them before?

Are there any times of day that the pain is worse than others?

Also, what sort of thyroid meds were prescribed?

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
(female)

mangosky HB User

Thanks for the respond elmhar

The pain actually occurs everytime take a breath or yawn.I'm given thyroxine 25mcg, taken once in the morning daily.

Beginning January, I started having flu and it lasted me 1 1/2 months. After that, it seems to be coming back again on and off. Told the doctor about it and she said that I'm actually having a sensitive nose. Kept telling her that I don't have sensitive nose and that it started only recently.

Last edited by mangosky; 04-14-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Mango,

The 25 mcg T4 you are Rxd is almost a "teaser" dose -- such a low dose may, through a feedback loop, be only enough to reduce your body's own T4 production, leaving you with net less than before you started on the meds.

Did you get a photocopy of those thyroid labs? Doctors are notorious for undertreating thyroid problems. When you get your lab numbers, post them along with the reference ranges from the lab, and others here on the health board will comment.

The breathing pain & abdomen swelling are not typical symptoms for thyroid disorder, as far as I know, but a thyroid problem can affect just about everything, including any other health problems that are going on.

Has your doc ordered a complete blood chem panel recently? I would want a complete blood count (CBC) with manual differentials (where they look at the different types & qualities of blood cells.) And specific tests for EBV/mono.

Has your doc examined the area of your abdomen that is enlarged? What does he/she say about that?

Is there any change in your pain with eating?

Best wishes.

Closed Thread