It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

SoManyFeelings HB User
My GP said "Your TSH Means Nothing" - GEEZ!

Hi everyone, I went to my "other" GP today so I can get the referral to an endo and also "hopefully" talk to the GP about everything that has been going on with me ... OH YEAH, "NOT"! At least I was able to get out a few words by telling him that my TSH for the past 10 yrs+ has always been 1.4 to 1.8 range ... but as of last Dec. it went to 2.7 ... then 3/3/06 went to 5.3 .. then 5 wks later to 5.6. He said, the TSH means "Nothing"! Immediately, I told myself to stay "calm" and try to explain to him a few of my newer symptoms in the past 6 mos ... and also I was able to mention that I've done some research (thanks Midwest and others) and I know that a Free T3, Free T4, anti-TPO and -tg needs to be done. Then all I was able to get out was my extreme fatigue of anything I do anymore is a "chore", even to brush my teeth, and then that was it ... I couldn't say anything else about my symptoms before he cut me off in mid-sentence. All he could say was ... as he shook his head back and forth was ... huhhhh!! fine then, go to a endocrinologist. Then he picked up my folder and said "we're finished here, let's go" and he was out the door, at this moment I'm telling myself not to cry while I walked out alone. (What a "quack" that GP is). At least now I'll get the referral that I need for whichever endo I find. What's so hard about all this is it really does hurt your feelings ... he treated me with such disrespect, jerk.

Out of the whole ordeal, I'm just so surprised about how he feels the "TSH" means nothing, what's your thoughts about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: My GP said "Your TSH Means Nothing" - GEEZ!

Quack, Quack Quack is what I think!!! Why do some docs(most) think they are God?
Sorry you had to go through that! Some docs think TSH is the ONLY thing that means anything. Weird - as weird as my last doc saying T4 is the only hormone that does anything - T3 is nothing.

RUN RUN RUN to the endo and hope this doc tests for Frees and antibodies - you may have to wait to get in and then wait a week for tests - SO my advice would be to CALL and ask for the tests to be done before the appt so you know what the results are before you meet with the doc. It helps if THEY have the tests too. OF COURSE, if they don't normally do those tests, if you can go to another endo, call around and find one that does. Be sure to get the antibody tests midwest told you about.

I understand your hypo feelings. It's yucky!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

ohmygawd what an #$*(@$!!

tsh does have relevance although perhaps not as indicative of problems as ft3 and ft4 levels, and tsh levels may have even less relevance once on medication. lots of doctors seem to look at just the tsh, and others more with the frees. i think a good doc looks at both. i think they're both important.

i hope you never have to go back to that gp for anything. you could send him a sympathy card "sorry you're a real jerk, doc. love, your former patient."

you were already on the right track. go see an endo, or another gp, and keep looking til you find someone you like.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

To paraphrase an old saying...
If it looks like a quack... and walks like a quack... it certainly isn't a duck!
It's that guy!

After you see the endo [who may be just as much of a quack, but I'll hope not and keep my fingers crossed for you] - maybe you should find a new primary.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User

Well I don't know if you read any of my posts but my doctor just yelled at me in front of my kids! She WOULD NOT listen to my list of complaints my husband and I wrote up. ANd she dismissed my TPO levels!!!!
You MUST go to the endo and then change pcp. I know it's hard. I have to wait for an oncology appt. THEN I am changing as fast as I can.
I am sorry you were made to feel like that! I felt like crying as well. Maybe I did on the drive home. This is a very lonely time. Not knowing where you stand on diagnosis, being in pain and frustrated.
I am new here and believe me these ladies have lifted me up and brought me much needed hope. And the courage to fight the system for my own health!!!
Go girl!!!
Deena

Old 04-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
(female)

MissHelen HB User

Hope the endo you go to knows what he's doing. I had some run ins with docs. I refuse to let them win. I told one guy that I had serious memory problems, he had me count backwards or something and said I was fine. I told him my butt was dragging and he said you need to lose weight (I did). Keep in mind I've been hypothyroid for 25 years that we know of. I switched doctors and she did TSH levels and they were at 7 something. Increased my thyroid meds and I lost 43 lbs, moved much better. I then had tsh run a few months back and I get a call telling me I should cut my meds by one pill a week because my tsh levels were too low. I felt great, but I did what they told me and 2 months later and even my coworkers realized I'm tired all the time. I went to have the t3 and t4 done last week. I'm still waiting for the results. I didn't bother skipping it this past week and I'm not going to until someone can tell me why I'm slowly running out of gas again. If they don't figure it out I'll get a referral to and endo. The tsh levels are important, but they aren't the whole picture.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

SoManyFeelings HB User

Thank you all so so much for your wonderful support, you all gave such great advice and also made me laugh, thanks

I'll be sharing my info with you as soon as I get into the endo's office, incredible how long it takes just to make an appt., wow.

And MomofBoyz, that's awful what you went through!! Who in the world gave her the right to treat you the way she did? All any of us are trying to do is just get well and we rely on these drs for help and in return for half of them to treat us so rudely, it's crazy ... definitely no bedside manner. What I see in a good few of them is their interest is really not in the patient but just a way to make a living, has to be.

Thanks again you all ... you helped bring up my self esteem.

Closed Thread