It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 04:19 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Need some information please :(

Hi, im 22 year old. Over a year ago i was put on generic Sinthroid as i am on medicaid. My TSH level dropped from 8.5 down to 5.6 and stayed there, all of a sudden recently my tsh jumped way up to 15.83. my dr has upped my dose of sinthroid, but i am scared because its not working to bring it down. What would cause my TSH to jump up after a year + of being on meds? Would my thyroid be failing? I dont want surgery. Please help me someone answer me help.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Need some information please :(

You won't need surgery unless your thyroid gets so enlarged that you have trouble swallowing and breathing, or if it develops large nodules.
But you do need a higher dose of levothyroxine now, or else that enlargement has a higher chance of possibility.

Your TSH rose because your dose wasn't high enough, so your pituitary put out more TSH in an effort to tell your struggling thyroid to make more hormone to alleviate the extreme shortage. Have you ever felt well while taking thyroid med? A TSH of 5.6 is still above-range and abnormal for nearly anyone. You needed a higher dose even then, and you need it even more so now.

The other possibility is that your generic manufacturer has changed, and so you're in effect taking a different brand which may not be working as well.

Is it possible that you have been missing doses? That would make TSH rise. Are you taking your med every day at the same time, without food, apart from calcium supplements, iron, or birth control pills? Any inconsistencies in the way you take the med will cause fluctuations in blood levels of hormones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

So should i take vitamins/birth control at a different time then my sinthroid? or will it not even make a difference. To me my neck feels full, like im always wearing a choker necklace, but dr says my thyroid is fine, but yet i cant shake the feeling. I have another Dr appointment coming up, still waiting on the blood results to come in, gonna phone the dr's office to see what they are, but i am so clueless about this disease. All i know is hypothyroid but i been told that thryoid problems can co-exist with fibromyalgia as well. Just so confused. Im sorry for the babbling.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
So should i take vitamins/birth control at a different time then my sinthroid?
If the vitamins contain iron or calcium, they should be taken at least 4 hours apart from thyroid medicine. I have not seen proof that it should be taken well apart from estrogen-containing birth control, but to be safe, it should be.

Ideally, thyroid med should be taken by itself on an empty stomach, one hour before eating. If you can manage to do that, you will be getting the maximum benefit from the med. If you can't manage it, there may be other ways to work around it if you're creative and consistent.

Now then.... You mention fibromyalgia. Have you been told you have it? Fibromyalgia is a common diagnosis for what is in reality under-treated hypoT. You seem to be clearly undertreated. The "fibro" may actually be that.

Wait and see what happens with this increase in Synthroid. I hope you have been scheduled for a follow-up visit and blood testing in a few weeks to see if your TSH is coming down.

Meanwhile, read Thyroid for Dummies which will help you understand the tests and treatment. If you understand your condition, you'll hopefully be able to understand when you aren't getting the best treatment you could be.

Edit to say ~ When you call the office for your results, don't just accept them over the phone. Always ask for a photocopy to be sent to you. It's your right by law to have them. You can post the results/ranges here for help in interpretating them.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-22-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

Yes i been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and also have an auto immune disorder thats unknown right now as it "comes and goes".

My TSH the 13th was 15.83

my sinthroid was increased from .150 mg to .200 mg (or 200mcg ) Synthroid.

On the 20th it tested to be around 3.2 and was told that it was abnormal and to test again this coming monday. So i am confused. I still dont feel better or worse, i just feel the same but with more pain then normal.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I have hashimotos (auto immune disease) i suffer dreadfully from pains in my arms and legs when my TSH is messing around. Some days its so bad I cant walk or even lift a cup, so I know what you are going through.

As midwest says, it does sound like you are being undermedicated. I have had times when I have felt great with a TSH of 13.5 and crap at 5.5 it just depends on whats going on with the antibodies at the time, so it may be the same for you as you have an AI. Go back to your Dr and tell him that you are feeling unwell. Ask for more blood to be taken as ask them to find out exactly what auto immune disorder you have.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

My dr doesnt believe i have on AI, ive had 3 positive blood works that show i have an AI and just cuz it came back negative once, they totally dropped the case and so have i. Maybe i should kick my rear end back into motion and get this going again, cuz i do feel like crap no matter what my TSH is.

I just cant believe these are the best dr's i could get from medicaid from my small city.....

Closed Thread