It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Dr. ordered these tests...can you tell me what is is looking gor?

I went to my thyroid doctor yesterday. After his name his degrees, I guess you would call them, are M.D. FACP FACE What does all this stand for???

I told him about my episodes of high blood pressure, increased heartrate, and anxiety. Even though I have been diagnosed with hash's and have nodules, he told me that the blood pressure issue was totally unrelated to my thyroid. The last visit I had with him he told me hypothyroidism COULD cause high blood pressure. Then he ordered these tests and when I asked him what they were for, he said something about they were testing to see if my adrenal was putting out too much adrenaline..Then he said "Just go on the internet and read about it". Then he had his nurse come in and tell me how much improved I was and how I should be patient because it took a good 6 mo. on hormones to feel better.

Here are the tests he ordered and his prices for labs. I was wondering if the lab prices are too much.

Assay, Free Triidothyronine (TT3)..................................1 11.00
Assay, Free Thyroxine............................... .................. 118.00
Assay, TSH..................................... ..........................86.00
VANILLYMANDELIC ACID URIN.................................... ...127.00
Assay, Three Catecholamines.......................... .............231.00
Assay, Urine Metanephrines........................... ..............76.00

I know what the first 3 tests are and I guess the next 3 must have something to do with adrenals, but can someone please explain more about them. If I were to have an adrenal tumor, what do they do for that? I have read somewhere that you can get a lot of false positives on the "catecholamines" and you have to get several readings to determine anything on that test whatever it is for.

I tried to look these up on internet, but everything I found was explained in medical language so I could not understand much of what I was reading.

Also, I told him about the numbness in the last too joints of my fingers on both hands. He said that was nothing to do with thyroid. I don't agree.

I should hear today or tomorrow the results of my labs except for the 24 hr. urine test which I don't do until this weekend. I guess the last 3 tests are done on my 24 hr urine sample. Is that right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: Dr. ordered these tests...can you tell me what is is looking gor?

Hey. Those last three tests are the catecholamines(epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine) and their metabolites. He is checking for a pheochromocytoma, which is a non-cancerous tumor of the adrenal gland. It can produce symptoms such as b/p spikes, heat intolerance, and anxiety. It can come on out of the blue for a few minutes, and them quiet down. Sometimes it hits people in the middle of the night. From what I understand, you're looking for results(urine) that are 2-3 times normal. Otherwise, I think they have you repeat it sometime again. I have a small(7 mm) tumor on my adrenal gland and that is what we are checking into right now. I've ordered the 24-hour urine on my own before, but my levels were not elevated.

Hope all this helps!

Karen

Old 04-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Shmily,
The only info I can give you is:

The letters stand for:
FACP: Fellow of the American College of Physicians
FACE: Fellow of the American College of Endocrinologists

MatthewsMom - Lyse - gave us that info a while back.

I hear you about the medical language - I run into that also!

Old 04-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi Sue,

Can you tell me, I had the 24 hr urine test & it came back normal so does illiminate adrenal problems? How did they find the tumor?
My Dr says she cant just order a kidney scan because of insurance purposes, go figure.

Rachel thx

Old 04-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Thanks everybody.

Sue......if it turns out you do have a tumor, what do they do about it?

Old 04-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Rachel- Sometimes it takes many more 24-hour urine tests to hit a time when your pheo is active. Some people say than can feel when they are on a "high" cycle-more energy, not sleeping-and they test then. I asked my endo to rule out a pheo for me, as I'm not any kind of typical thyroid case. I had been having b/p spikes, palpitations, etc. I told him that I would like to know for sure if my adrenal glands were doing anything they shouldn't be. So I asked if we could get a ct scan, and he said "anything you want". He's very good about working with me, although he doesn't have a magic wand that he can use to make me feel well! That's when the small adenoma was found.

Shmily-IF it is actually functioning, they remove that adrenal gland, and the remaining adrenal gland still functions for your body's needs. I'm still waiting some results from LOTS of testing done last week.

Karen

Old 04-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
(female)

confused725 HB User

Thx Sue & GL to you. I hear once the tumor is removed the B/P autimatically stabalizes, so I wish you well.

What type of BP spikes were you having?
Thx

Old 04-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

I am a normal 120/80 person. Lately when I get a "strange" feeling, kind of like a panic attack without the panic(?!?), I check my b/p and a couple of times it was 170/100. I think that's why I felt strange. Lately though I've been getting occasional readings a couple of times a week of 140/90. This is all new to me.

Karen

Closed Thread