It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

stacey1811 HB User
Question newto this

hi i found out about my hypo last year, i am on 100mcg of thyroxine but i am always forgetting to take it as i have a small baby, i dont seem to think it works anyway when i do take it i am still tired all the time even after 10hrs sleep i never have any energy to do anything. does any1 else have this problem how long did it take for it to start to work for you?

thanks stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: newto this

Hi Stacey, Welcome the the thyroid board!!

Sorry you have to be here. What were your last lab results and when were they?

You should be checked every 6-8 weeks at first is what I have been told, until they get you regulated. It takes 4-6 wks for your body to get the meds regulated. When you first start, it can be slow going - that's what I am doing right now, and I HATE it!

Then every 6-12 mo UNLESS you are having symptoms!!

Sounds like they just put you on the meds and then ignored you.

You are from Cheshire - is that UK, I think? I believe they only test for TSH there, unless you go private, which really sucks for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

stacey1811 HB User

hi yeah that is all they check for they dont tell me what the result is they just say if its high or low they said it is better at the moment but thats all i know when i was pregnant i was on 150mcg but they just reduced it they said im ok with the change so they dont really tell me anything, i only get tested when i ask ive only had it done 3 times and it was 2 years ago i found out this years gone fast didnt realise it was that long thanks for your reply

stacey

Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

It seems like you need to take it very badly. You may need an increase. Sometimes, when you first start taking meds you feel better for a while and then you start feeling bad again and think it is not helping. This usually means you need an increase in your meds.

You need to get new labs done if it has been more than 6 or 8 wks. Be sure to ask for Free t4 and Free t3 and the antibodies to be checked. Then post them on here with the normal lab ranges and there will be someone on this board that can help you understand what is going on.

Get in a routine of taking you medicine when you first wake up.........an hour before you eat. It might help to put a weeks supply in a pill caddy.....that has a different compartment for each day of week. That way you can look and see if you missed a day.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

it took 6 months of gradual increases of my levothyroxine before i actually started to feel better.

that was taking it every day, not skipping any doses.

i know its hard when we have no energy due to this disease, but i hope you can find incentive to be more aggressive with taking your medication faithfully and following through with your doctors. its a slow process and one really has to hang in there in order to eventually feel better.

j

Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

I hear that the medication stays in your system for about a week, so even forgetting it every once and awhile won't do much for ya. But if they changed it while you were pregnant and then again after that you might not of needed the lower dose, and should of left it alone. I had mine changed during pregnancy and they did do tests to make sure that I didn't need it back to the way it was before. I didn't. It stayed the same. It may be just the medication that your on. I feel tired all the time as well, I'm going to ask my doctor to see if they will change the kind that I take. Not the amount.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
(female)

ziesnana HB User
Talking Re: newto this

I too take meds for thyroid, it is a family thing,all the woman.

You should take your meds the same time every day.

You should take it on an empty stomach. I take mine just before bedtime.

Give it time to see if this makes a difference.

Closed Thread