It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
very low blood pressure, 88 over 50

Should I be worried about 88 over 50? It sounds so low to me. I went to the dr's and the practitioner took my blood pressure before the dr. came in and I fprgot to ask her about that. My dr. said she's pretty sure I have Hashimotos and I took some blood tests to look for antibodies. My thyroid is swollen and I've had a pain in my throat for weeks. Anyway, any feedback on my blood pressure would be appreciated. Thank you. Carisa

Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User
Re: very low blood pressure, 88 over 50

Some people with low thyroid can have low blood pressure, especially if their heart is beating slowly or weakly (what is your resting pulse?).
One thing to be aware of, though, is that low blood pressure can also be a symptom of a much rarer autoimmune disease, Addison's disease (adrenal failure). If it doesn't pick up with treatment for thyroid disease, consider asking your doctor to check you for Addison's.

Ellie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

confused725 HB User

Ellie,

Do you know if the 24 hr urine test is for Addisons? My endo did that & all i saw was cortisol?? It was normal

Is this what they check when looking for adrenaline problems?

Thought you might know.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi carisa,

I just posted on another question similiar to this.
As Ellie said, if it continues, you should look further into of course but I will tell you what my Dr has said about low B/P. (If you look, I posted not too long ago too).

I was frantic because I took my B/P and both times in 2 days it was low! One time it was 100/45. I was thinking, its not good.

Long story short.....I spoke to my PC, my Endo, my sons pediatrician and a heart Dr too. (I really thought it was just too low. In any event, they ALL told me the same thing. It is actually better to be low. If you DO NOT have any dizziness or symptoms of real lathargic....dont worry. They told me it fluctuates all day. I think the hypo and hyper Symptoms have a BIG part as when I was hyperSymptamatic a month or so ago my B/P was 130/80.
I hear a few people say that hypo can lower your B/P.

I just wanted to share with you what I was told by numerous Dr's because it was only 2 weeks ago that I posted & I was really concerned too!
I hope that elliviates some of your worry.
I can only share whats been told to me......

Rachel

Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Thank you guys! I was really worried about it. I called my dr. to ask if I should be worried and she said it was no big deal and that it is really common for Hashi's and Hypo, which I am both. I knew it was common, but I thought that was just WAY too low. I will keep watch of it. I know what you (Rachel) mean, it can get to the point where you are obsessed with what your blood pressure is at every moment. I'm going to try and not go down that road. After I posted my question I immediately saw the other post up there almost identical to it. I read all those posts too. And Ellie, I will ask my Dr. about Addisons, it's good to rule out things! As if I don't have enough going on right now. Thanks guys.....Carisa

Old 04-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
(female)

confused725 HB User

No problem, Carisa......Glad you feel less worried.
See ya around!
Rachel

Closed Thread