It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

carroc HB User
Tiseal Glue instead of stitches..INPUT NEEDED

Dear Friends,

My TT is approaching quickly (one month and counting). My surgeon just informed me that he will be closing my incision with Tiseal Glue instead of the traditional stitches/staples. Is there anybody out there who's doctor closed you with glue instad of stitches or staples? What are your thoughts regarding this technique. Please discuss timeliness of healing, discomfort, dissolving of the glue, and the remaining scar appearance.

Thanks so much!

Old 04-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Re: Tiseal Glue instead of stitches..INPUT NEEDED

I'm exactly 6 months from my Oct Surgery & was glued shut also. Its been fading more & MORE, especially in the last 2+ months. I didn't wash it or pick at it, as I wanted the glue to stay on as long as possible. The only other stitches I'v had were in my wrist, so its hard to compare. I was lucky that surgeon could place inscision in crease of neck. I think in 3-6 months time, others won't notice it, unless they KNOW its THERE & check it frequently!

Don't worry so much!!! I didn't know or ASK if I was getting stitches or plastic skin, never even thought about it. RELAX - trust your surgeon, ok?

Welcome to the boards,
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

I didn't have the glue - however, it was suggested on this board to request it if you could. My stitches didn't hurt when being removed, but others have said they did. depends on WHO is taking them out. My docs "helper doc" took them out and was VERY gentle and VERY slow removing them. The people who had the glue were VERY satisfied with it!

My scar ...............WHAT SCAR?? You really have to look carefully!!

Be sure to drink a LOT of water - before and after! Also, DEMAND the anti nausea med they give you to keep from getting sick after surgery from the anesthesia. Some here didn't have it and wish they had. That was the worst part for them. Two things stand out about my surgery -
1. I can't remember much at all about after surgery the first day - have someone with you to write down things docs say and do and be your advocate.
2. Have someone there to help you go to the bathroom - I was drinking a lot of water (partially to get the anesthesia out of my system)

Some say it is the easiest surgery they ever had. I don't have much to compare it to, except having babies!!

It is good to trust your surgeon, however, NEVER feel like you can't ask questions. Mine answered my 2 pages of questions - every single one. If they won't, I would worry. It pays to be informed on what is happening to YOUR body!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
(male)

Travellers HB User

My TT surgery has been done for almost one month. My surgeon used glue and the incision has been healing pretty well. I went back to work after 7 days. Right now, the small part of neck above incision is a little bit swollen. But this is normal and you even don't identify it easily. As far as a scar is concerned, doc told me that you have to wait for 3 months to know the result. But I do not worry about it since it looks much better than I imaged. So don't worry too much and trust your surgeon and ask questions to gain knowledges on TT surgery.

Closed Thread