It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

countrycarole HB User
Unhappy Still waiting for new surgery date

I have been posting for awhile on this board. Was scheduled for April 12th TT due to large substernal goiter. Came down with respiratory infection, was put on antibiotics, surgery postponed. Also, my EKG test which was done by the nurse in my primary doctor's office came back abnormal (which I believe was either caused by incorrect usage of machine or operator since my sister's co-worker who also had the exact same EKG test by the same nurse the next day as I had also came back with the exact same abnormal results. She, like myself, do not have an hx of heart problems, nor in my family and all my blood work re Chol, etc and BP were excellent!

Anyway, had to see a cardiologist for medical clearance. Had appt with cardiologist who now says I must go next Friday to have a stress test done!!! More waiting and another test. At this point, if I was sure that my goiter would not grow any larger I would forget the entire thing!!! So here I am, still waiting for medical clearance and a new surgery date set.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

lfr HB User
Re: Still waiting for new surgery date

I sure hope you can get it all worked out quickly. Did you decide to postpone/cancel your vacation? Sorry you had to go through all this and I hope you get it worked out soon.

As for me, I'm all ball of nerves....surgery is tomorrow - 14 hrs. away - yikes!

Hope you get a date soon -

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

countrycarole HB User

Hi Lisa:

Good luck with your surgery! I can certainly understand your being nervous. Try to get some rest tonight even though I'm sure it might be very difficult for you to do. I would probably be the same. I'm sure everything will be fine. According to all the other people on this board who have gone through the surgery, it doesn't seem that bad. Just stay calm and before you realize it you will be back home resting.

Yes, I cancelled my vacation which would have been the first 2 wks in June because it would be much too close after my surgery (probably have it done sometime in May - hopefully) to go. I also do not want to postpone my surgery until after vacation because I don't want to go through any more tests and since I live in Florida certainly do not want to have surgery during our Hurricane season and I really tired of waiting - just want to get it over with already.

Again, good luck and keep us posted after you return home and feel like it (you will be so relieved to have it over with).

Carole

Old 04-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

MATYA HB User

Please keep us posted. I really want to know about your recovery, because I had a very large substernal goiter, Post TT Dec 2005 and still have alot of tightness in the neck; incision is still very red and lumpy. I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
(female)

countrycarole HB User

Hi Matya:

I, too, have a large substernal goiter and that is the reason I will eventually (once I receive medical clearance) have a TT done.
Do you remember how long your surgery took and was it more difficult since it was a substernal goiter?
Is it usual to take this long for the tightness in your neck to go away along with the appearance of your incision?

Carole

Last edited by countrycarole; 04-23-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
(female)

lfr HB User

Carole,
Thanks for the well wishes. I am home. Ended up two nights in the hospital as my calcium levels weren't where they should be. I'm doing ok. My throat hurt very bad until this morning, now I'm just achy. hanging in there though. I'll post more later.

Lisa

Old 04-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
(female)

countrycarole HB User

Hi Lisa:

Just a quick note to welcome you back home !!!

Try to rest and not to overdo anything.

Post again when you are up to it.

Carole

Last edited by countrycarole; 04-23-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
(female)

countrycarole HB User

Just an update on my post. Went to cardiologist today, had echo and stress test done on treadmill. Cardiologist said my heart is fine (just as I thought) and will now give medical clearance for my surgery. The cardiologist will contact my primary physician next week who will then speak with the surgeon to let them know that I am fine to go ahead with the surgery. Just need to stay away from everyone at work because an office "cold" is again going around and I cannot afford to catch another cold which would mean another delay.

Hopefully, next week I'll have a date for my surgery and will once again go through waiting and being nervous.

Carole

Old 04-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
(female)

lfr HB User

That's great news Carole - how far out is your surgeon scheduling? I remember I was so nervous to go anywhere the week before the surgery - I swear, everyone was sick. Hope you get a date and stay healthy! It's nice to be on the recovery end of things...and not the nervous and wanting to get the show on the road end.....

Lisa

Old 04-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
(female)

countrycarole HB User

Hi Lisa:

I should be able to get a date for my surgery within 2-3 wks. I want it done only in the morning and either on a Weds or Thurs. So I'll just have to stay away from everyone.

How are you feeling? I hope you are resting and taking it easy.

Carole

Old 04-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #11
(female)

lfr HB User

Thanks for asking Carole,
I'm doing ok. I went to the dr. the other day because my legs were really aching. Calcium, potossium, etc. were all normal - but my right calf was swollen. Dr. was worried about blood clot so sent me for a doplar - which came out normal.

I drove today for the first time to my son's baseball game. I'm hurting a bit still but haven't taken any pain meds for the past 2-3 days. All in all, being 8 days post op, I can 't expect more - still sore, tight neck, hard to turn head, but pretty much it's just what everyone described.

I will say though (at least for me) that I so thankful I have another week off of work, there's no way I'd be able to go back on Monday.

Here's to you staying healthy! Let us know when you date is.

Lisa

Old 04-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
(female)

countrycarole HB User

It seems like you are doing well for just being 8 days pre-op according to all the other people on this board who have gone through the surgery. Glad to hear that your blood work came back fine. Just remember not to overdo it even though you are starting to feel a little better.

I agree that 1 week off from work just isn't enough. I am planning on taking a full 2 wks off from work. It seems that everyone who has to stay an extra day in the hospital is due to low calcium issues. If I knew it would help, I would try to eat as much calcium-rich foods as possible just so I could stay less time in the hospital - but I don't think that would work.

Will post again when I have the surgery date.

Take care Lisa

Carole

Old 04-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
(female)

lfr HB User

Thanks Carole -
Glad you're taking two weeks! Let us know when your date is....

L

Old 04-29-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Carole,

My surgeon told me to take 1500-1800 mg of calcium CITRATE per day before surgery to avoid the low calcium problem. I didn't have one, and don't know if it helped, but obviously didn't hurt. Make sure you get enough magneseum also if you take calcium supplements. I am 60 yrs old - so that MAY have something to do with taking it. I am on 1500 a day now.

Let us know when you are going!
Take care.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #15
(female)

countrycarole HB User

I will definitely post again when I have the exact date.
I think I will ask my surgeon about taking the calcium supplement. That sounds like a great idea. I'm surprised they didn't mention that to me.
Along with the calcium, how much magnesium do you take?

Carole

Closed Thread