It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User
Hyperkim?

where in texas are you? I did live there before I moved here. Did you find a good doc?

Old 04-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User
Re: Hyperkim?

OOOPS! I must have missed this one yesterday!

I live near the DFW area. I found a doc near me that is on the American Thyroid Association's "top thyroid doc" list. Funny thing is I decided to go to this one because she was highly recommeded on some sites about fatigue. Fatigue was my main complaint. Now I realize my fatigue came mostly from muscle weakness caused by hyperT/graves. Go figure. God knew what he was doing even if I didn't!

On the down side...This dr knows more about hypoT than hyperT. And even less about graves. At first, she referred to my hyperT labs as graves disease. Three months later, I requested the TSI test. (I learned about TSI online as the marker for graves disease.) She said I was teaching her something.

So for now I am sticking with her. She has let me order labs off schedule. She actually listens to me. We actually discuss the why's and what for's of my treatment plans. And, last but not least, she has NEVER even mentioned the RAI treatment to me.

I am keeping my eyes open though for a "just in case" scenario. After reading other people's bad dr stories. I want have thyroid "knowledgeable" dr in line if I need one.

Where did you live in Texas?
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

I lived in Arlington, but I also lived in Abilene when I was first diagnosed with hyperT. Had RAI in Abilene, but then moved to Arlington, and was treated for hyperT for over a year there. The man I saw didn't really know much, but he was the one that told me I had Grave's, it was more told to me in a passing thought from him, not really to inform me of it. My exhusbands Grandmother lives in San Angelo, and visits the Dallas/Forth Worth area, and she is hyperT, so I thought that I might find out if you had a good one there. She said that her doctor is having a problem figuring out why she has a low iron count....and her's must be fairly bad, due to the fact that she is on alot higher dose of meds than I ever was. I don't know if her's is Graves, but I do know she is hyperT. If you know of a good doc there is would be greatly appreciated, I would pass the name on to her. Have you ever heard of someone who had a low iron level because of hyperT?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

I have seen anemia (low iron) on symtpoms lists for hypoT. And I was having alot of hypoT symptoms when my labs were showing hyperT. So it can always be a possibility to have anemia with hyperT. The thyroid does control every system in the body.

I used to be anemic and have to take iron. That was also when I had a "monthly" visitor. I had the long hard "visits" if you know what I mean. This I believe attributed to the anemia. (Looking back I had alot of hypoT symptoms during this time. Undiagnosed thyroid problems? I'll never really know.) I have had a hysterectomy and after a couple of years stopped taking the extra iron. My iron levels look good on labs now.
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08

Old 04-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

As far as drs go, I am seeing a dr in Ft worth but she has more experience with hypoT. I wouldn't recommend her for hypert or graves treatment right now. Unless of course the patient is strong willed and going to educate themselves on graves. Most of what I have learned about hyperT and graves I learned online. Not from my dr. I have heard of Robert DeVries in Dallas for hypert and graves treatment. I will probably try him if I change drs.
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08

Old 04-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

Thanks A TON! I will mention the doc to her, not yours the other. She would have to read a book, or get on the computer and you know those older people in there 80's, she's not so into computers. She is now having a hard time reading.

Closed Thread