It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
(male)

chopsie HB User
Thyroid medication is poor stuff

Anyone worried about thyroxine. I am. Before I started taking it I was not prone to paranoid depression but now have it all the time. I'm not saying it is very bad but it is very hard to relax. I wish I did not have to take the stuff. I have been on it about thirty years now. I get the sweats, unbidden thoughts, constipation and irritable bowel. I have another thread I would like to share if you are interested.
Best Wishes

Old 04-22-2006, 05:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: Thyroid medication is poor stuff

I don't know anything about Thyroxine in the UK, however, my opinion of you having "paranoid depression, sweats, unbidden thoughts, constipation and irritable bowel" you need a change!!! Do you have any recent labs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The thyroxine you're taking in a tablet is the exact same substance your own thyroid gland would make if it could. Unless your own body's hormone depressed you while you had enough of it (- not possible! -), your tablet isn't doing that either.

Now... if you aren't getting a high enough dose, or if your thyroxine is not converting to triiodothyronine (T3) in your system, that could possibly make you depressed.

If you can obtain books published in the US, get a copy of The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem. He discusses how the lack of thyroid hormone causes all manner of mental symptoms.

If you find that isn't the problem, you should seek help from the psychiatric avenue.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
(male)

chopsie HB User

I have no recent blood results. They only allow it once every 6 months. They always say the results are 'within the parameters'. I would not understand how to read them anyhow. What change do you suggest? Best Wishes.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
(male)

chopsie HB User

The problem is that when I was first diagnosed it was found that my thyroid gland was perfect. It had never been used. The doctor said he had never seen such a perfect specimen. They sat me on a tall swivel chair on a stand and gave me an injection. Several medical people stood around me and seemed to be waiting for something to happen. I looked out of the window, across the river Mersey towards the Welsh hills. My eyesight changed. My vision became very pure and I thought I could see the sheep on the hills thirty miles away. The medical staff began looking at me and then assisted me to get down. The chief doctor said to me 'You are the first person not to have collapsed after one of those injections. That was why we were standing by you.'
Does the gland make as much thyroxine when you are old as in previous years? If it does not should I be taking 125mcg at 64 yrs of age?
I am on lithium for manic depression and have promazine and diazepam occasionally and sertraline every morning. My wife has Alzheimer's and I have been looking after a close relative with dementia for two years.

Last edited by chopsie; 04-22-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Chopsie... You have a lot going on in your life... It must not be easy.

You have more issues to deal with than I can begin to address. I'm only a layperson who tries to educate and support newly diagnosed folks about their thyroid disease, and to help those trying to get a diagnosis to obtain one.

Are you aware that lithium itself often causes hypothyroidism? If you were already taking it at the time of your diagnosis, that explains a lot. If the hypoT came first, perhaps the lithium is complicating your thyroid recovery. (Just guessing, I can't say for sure.)

All I can tell you with absolute certainty is that the thyroxine is not causing your delusions and mental problems. If anything, it is keeping them from being even worse than they are.

Surely you are working with a psychiatrist? You might want to broach the subject of adding some T3 to your T4. It can have a beneficial effect on the mental processes, which has been supported by some clinical research.

Wishing you all the best, dear friend. Would that I could help more.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

I have heard the same thing about lithium. It has a possible side effect of lowering thyroid levels. It may be a matter of a slight increase in your T4 med to offset the side effect. You might ask your doc on your next labs to check your T3 levels also. Just to check for T4 to T3 conversion trouble.

You might also do an internet search on lithium. I originally checked it out when I first found out I was hyperthyroid. You can get it online as a nutritional supplement. I thought about getting some and trying it for my HyperT. Lithium has a long list of side effects. I decided against it for that reason. So you might check it out. You may be experiencing side effects of the lithium. (I really can't remember what was on that list. Its been several months ago now.)

For that matter you might try searching for side effects of all the drugs you're taking. You could be having interaction problems that a doc or pharmacist missed. Unlikely, but it can happen.

We say around here an educated patient gets better care. I think its because after learning more on what our conditions are, and about the drugs we are taking, we are better able to understand what is going on with our bodies. This helps us to "work" with our doc more in our own health care.

Sorry to ramble on so. Hope that helps some.
Best Wishes,
Hyperkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Old 04-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #8
(female)

daisy01 HB User

chopsie, i am from the UK but I am not sure what test you had for your thyroid. it doesnt sound right to me, are you sure it was a test for your thyroid and not something else. All I had was a blood test and a thyroid scan to rule out thyroid cancer and to look for nodules and I think this is true for most of us in the Uk and USA( please correct me if i am wrong anyone)
Go to your GP and ask for a copy of your thyroid blood test results and post them on here. Someone will be happy to interpret them for you. legally you are entitled to copies of your results so dont let them fob you off.

I have worked with alot of people with mental health issues and all of them who take lithium also take thyroxine as it causes hypoT. I have had alot of problems getting my body to accept the levothyroxine but gradually I am getting there and my depression is lifting so yes it can cause problems initially but I now know I couldnt function without it now.
hope you feel better soon

Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

Hi chopsie welcome!

I'm only 2+ months into the HYPO-t meds rollercoaster , , , started on Synthroid in early Feb w/ a multitude of side-effects. The worst of those were: Insomnia & meloncoly to feeling like I was taking depressants. For me, I think 2 things were happenning:

1) my body didn't TOLERATE Synthroid well ~and~
2) Synthroid was NOT mixing nicely with Zoloft (says thats a possibility on Pharm paperwork)

Fearful of MORE Synthroid, I asked for another thy med. When my old dr refused, i found a different PrimeCare-Dr who let me TRY something different. That was nearly 4 weeks ago, the difference was like night & DAY for me.

I'm wondering if you could have similar results?
Hope you feel more like yourself soon,
Sue

Old 04-23-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
(male)

chopsie HB User

Thanks for that, Sue in the Californian Desert from Chopsie outside Liverpool UK in the cold sun of early spring.
Can you tell me what the second doctor gave you? It might be what I need. If you live in a hot place you will not suffer with cold feet and hands like we mostly do, and did you know that your hands may shrink in size if you have hypothyroid? Get an old pair of gloves and try them on, you will be surprised!
But maybe if you live in the desert you may not have any gloves!!
Best Wishes

Old 04-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
(male)

chopsie HB User

Mid, you are very kind. I do know of the Lithium effect on the thyroid but my thyroid does not work at all and never has done so it cannot be effected. It is said that broccolli also has a detremental effect on the thyroid. I suppose you would have to eat half a ton of it for it to make any difference! You are absolutely right, I should visit my pharmacist and get an opinion on my medication. I find lithium very good with few side effects but a friend of mine was on it for 15 years and now has Parkinson's more or less certainly because of it. Best wishes to you on Our Queen's 80th Birthday weekend!!

Old 04-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
(male)

chopsie HB User

Daisy, thanks for the advice about the thryroid results. I will certainly post them on here. My main problems probably stem from having to care for my wife who has Alzheimer's and also her uncle for the past two years who had dementia (he died last month)The stress is not overpowering but wearing. She is a lovely woman with great common sense but she also tends to have fits. She had one today (my 64th birthday) because she could not find my card. I have been feeling realy bad for ages and don't know why. The only relief I get is from watching St Helens Rugby League Club on the the TV!! I mowed the garden yesterday but had to keep having rests as I was exhausted. I am strong but have no stamina.
Thanks again, and best wishes for your kindness.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #13
(male)

chopsie HB User

Kim, thank your for your general advice and information. All my correspondents seem to be steering me in the right way. It's what you need when you are confused. I really am grateful.
Best Wishes.
Chopsie (Pete)

Last edited by chopsie; 04-23-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:38 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Cool Re: Thyroid medication is poor stuff

Pete ~
I'm unfamiliar with your Thy med. Is that a T4 only type like Synthroid or Levothyroxine?? Many thyroid patients tolerate meds better when a t3, such as Cytomel, is added. Medicine I'm on is a t3/4 combo, Armour. But due to afternoon * crashes *, my Dr OKed adding .25 mcg's of Synthroid to the 3/4 grain of Armour. But even with that, I don't feel right. So I'll be doing more labs in a few weeks

Find out what type (t4 only?) med yours is. Maybe your body would work better with a different perscription? There ARE other choices. I know I feel MUCH better taking a T3/4 combo - than when I was only on the T4, Synthroid.

1/2 my thyroid was removed last fall, and even though I live in the desert, (people think its ALWAYS warm - no!) only in the last few nights have I been able to go to bed w/o SOCKS!
take CARE of YOU,
Sue

Last edited by sudufu; 04-24-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #15
(male)

chopsie HB User

Dear Sudo
The only thing I know is that I take 125mcg per day, although I felt much better on 150. My doctor stated that it is bad for the heart to have to high a dose. If I could get back on higher than 125 I could feel like going to the gym more regularly and swimming really fast and annoying everyone. Thanks for the advice on T4 etc. I read some years ago about the American way of thyroid treatment and I mentioned it to a doctor friend. He said 'They give the stuff out like vitamin pills to anyhone over there. It's dangerous.' It doesn't sound as if the people I have spoken to from the USA are being treated in that manner.
Best Wishes in the desert (Mojave?)
Pete (chopsie is Welsh for bad tempered!!)

Last edited by chopsie; 04-25-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Closed Thread