It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

hinomiko16 HB User
Hypothyroid?

I hope you guys don't mind that I'm posting this here...

I'm 18 years old. I've been having muscle pain and twitches, hair loss, quite bad mental confusion and horrible memory loss, fatigue, difficulty swallowing, and weakness in my legs. I've had all of the thyroid tests done, and they all came back normal except the thyroglobulin antibodies, which were at 169. The doctor told me that just means I have the risk for getting hypothyroid in the future. My question is: is it possible to have hypothyroid even if your TSH and T4 come back normal?

Old 04-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid?

Quote:
My question is: is it possible to have hypothyroid even if your TSH and T4 come back normal?
In a nutshell, yes.

Post your lab results and ranges here if you wish to share. Someone will be able to see what your MD may be missing. These results are open to interpretation, and just because yours are within a certain range, that doesn't mean they are normal for YOU. Just as you have a particular shoe size which is comfortable within a broad, normal size range, you have a normal setpoint for thyroid hormone within its range.
Odds are very strong that your T4 is very low in its range, meaning you probably don't have enough to keep you well.

Thyroid disease is never the black and white issue that the majority of MDs think it is.
There are some MDs who would treat your symptoms plus antibodies, no matter where lab levels are, so you may want to get another opinion or two from more knowledgable MDs.

To understand the basic terms, tests, and treatments, get a copy of Thyroid for Dummies from the library or bookstore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i agree with midwest.

please make sure you get copies of all labworks you have done. you should have these copies for your own personal use. if i had done that when i was first tested, i would have learned i was hypothyroid 7 months earlier than i did and would have saved myself so much aggravation.

post your numbers here, with the ranges also, if you'd like people here to give you feedback.

your symptoms sound like you could be hypothyroid. i believe - but i am not positive - that if you have the antibodies that means you have hashimoto's. dont quote me on that. i have the antibodies and i have hashimotos but i also had low t4 and high tsh, unlike you.

you might want to see if thyroid problems run in your family. you might want to think about seeing a couple other doctors to get their opinions on your situation as well.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

hinomiko16 HB User

Thank you both for responding so quickly.

The TSH range says .3 - 4.5, and my actual number was 1.44, and the Free T4 range was .7-1.7, while the actual number was 1.2, so if anyone can tell me what that means I'd really appreciate it ^_^

Oh, and my mother has hypothyroid, so it does run in the family.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User

Welcome to the wonderful world of "subclinical hypothyroidism". So sorry you have to deal with this at such a young age.

Your numbers are "normal" - so much so that you'll probably have some trouble finding a doctor to give you what you probably really need - which is a trial on some thyroid hormone.

There are some things you can try on your own - there are some studies to suggest that selenium supplements can decrease thyroid antibodies, so I would start 200 mcg a day, along with a good multivitamin. You may also want to take extra iron for a month or so. (Not good to take it longer without checking levels - but iron deficiency is common in women and decreases thyroid function). Eat a healthy diet, plenty of protein and good fats (olive oil, walnuts, fish, fish oil) and fresh fruits and vegetables.

Then go back to your doctor (or a different one) in a month or two and insist on a repeat TSH, free T4, FREE T3, and thyroid antibodies. Document all your symptoms and PLEAD for a trial on thyroid hormone!!!!!

Ellie

Old 04-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User

PS -
Try taking some magnesium and calcium for the muscle spasms. I had them something awful when I was really hypothyroid.

Ellie

Old 04-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

hinomiko16 HB User

My MD has said that she will refer me to an endocrinologist, even though she thinks it will be a waste of time. I guess it might be worth it to go. Thank you for your help ^_^

Old 04-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User

Insist on the endocrinologist doing all the tests, okay - especially the free T3.

If you don't get satisfaction from the endo, then find out who prescribes Armour thyroid in your area (ask your pharmacist or check the site of the manufacturer of Armour thyroid - they keep a referral list). A doctor who prescribes Armour is more likely to be open to treating you, I think.

Ellie

Old 05-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
(female)

hinomiko16 HB User

Sorry to bring up this thread again, but I have a question (trying to rule out other causes of muscle spasms).
Ellie342, what did your twitches feel like? Were they like your actual leg/arm/etc twitching or like little pulses under the skin? Mine feel like the latter and last for about 2 seconds, and then move somewhere else.

Last edited by hinomiko16; 05-06-2006 at 07:02 AM.

Closed Thread