It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #1

G9r HB User
next step?

Hi there, I am new to this community and I had a few questions pertaining to my diagnosis/condition. I was having all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, especailly fatigue. My best friend had noted that I was severely fatigued and thought that I might have hypothyroidism so she convinced me to go the doctors, which I did. When I got there, the doctor said that the fatigue might be something else so he tested oter things too. I went and got blood work done. the results came back that my sTSH was 8 when it was suppose to be beterrn 0.35 and 5, and my ferritin was 10 out of a possible 300, indicating that I was probably iron deficient, as well as had hypothyroidism. When the results came back a second doctor took alook at them and said that I needed to get more blood work done to test for anti-thyroglobulin, sTSh again, and Free T4. I had these tests done in the afternoon, in compared to the morning with the previous tests, and the results cam back that my sTSHwas 6.05 (8 earlier), my free T4 was 12 out of 10-20, and my antithyroglobulin was negative. Now, my doctor, was a clinic doctor who I had never seen before. When I went in for a follow up appointment to get the results He stated that I had hypothyroidism, but symptoms don't normally show until TSH reaches 10, so my fatigue was most likely related to my iron. He then noted that my TSH levels had gone down from 8 to 6, so that I don't need to be on medicine, and he wouldn't want to put me on medication incase I become hypertyroidic. I have been prescribed palafer for my iron, but do you think I should get something for my hypothyroidism once I go and see my regular doctor at home (as I am at university right now). Sorry about writing so much, but thanks for any advice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
Re: next step?

HI there. I think you should. My TSH was about 7.5 and I could certainly feel my symptoms which included fatique. I think when you go to your regular doctor you should request meds for your hypothyroidism. I'm new also to all this, but I think one should be treated long before TSH gets to 10, that seems ridiculous. Carisa Good luck.....

Old 04-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #3

G9r HB User

Thanks for the help

Old 04-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
(female)

also2tired HB User

How high the tsh is does not necessarily correspond to symptoms or the severity of symptoms. Sometimes there are people who have a tsh OVER 10 who do not have bothersome symptoms at all, and many times there are people who have tsh below 5 who have many severe symptoms. The doctor who told you that is not correct, although that (erroneous) information may have been in a medical textbook that he read. The tsh is an indirect measure because it is a hormone from the pituitary. It is not an actual thyroid hormone, but it usually rises higher in an effort to stimulate the thyroid to make more thyroid hormones. Tsh is as high as the pituitary thinks it should be to get the thyroid to make enough hormones. However, it is all relative. Furthermore, one person could have a normal tsh of .3 and then have it rise 10 times to get to 3.0, and another person could have a normal tsh of 1.0 and have it rise 10 times to get to 10. (The new AACE guidelines state normal tsh is from .3 to 3.0). The tsh of 10 may be higher than 3, but both tsh numbers multiplied the exact same amount from where they were originally. The only important thing is that tsh is higher than what is normally for a particular person. Tsh along with free t4 and free t3 tell a better story, and if ft4 and/or ft3 are in the lower part of the ranges, then they probably need to come up near the top of the ranges in order to feel better. Did they also test for all the thyroid antibodies? (Especially Tg and tpo)

Yes, it is very possible to have symptoms with your tsh level (and most people do have symptoms with that level) and you should be treated for hypothyroidism. FATIGUE is usually the number one symptom with hypo, and it is common for iron deficiency to also accompany hypo. Try to see another doctor if you can.

Last edited by also2tired; 04-23-2006 at 03:49 PM.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #5

G9r HB User

Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it. I am making an appointment with my regular physician when I return home in a week or so. I have to hiver her a photocopy of my test results anyways. I just didn't want to sound like a hypochondriac when I went in. I am on Iron supplements now, so hopefully it will help with the fatigue. Thanks again

Closed Thread