It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

Debjean777 HB User
HOW MANY THYROID NODULES DO YOU HAVE & IF THERE ARE SEVERAL DO DOCS DECIDE TO REMOVE

Hello, i have 3 thyroid nodules (benign) and my thyroid is functioning properly but i think i have another nodule now which will be 4. Do doctors remove the nodules or the thyroid gland after having so many or do they not worry about it if the thyroid is functioning? They are are not poking out of my neck or anything like that. I was just wondering if there are people out there that have quite a few nodules.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

tncindy HB User
Re: HOW MANY THYROID NODULES DO YOU HAVE & IF THERE ARE SEVERAL DO DOCS DECIDE TO REMOVE

I have one large nodule that used to protrude slightly, but now only I see it cause I know it's there. If they start to bother you physically or they continue/start to enlarge they might take it out. My doc told me since my biopsy was benign, he saw no reason for the procedure. My grandmother had a nodule but told me it actually shrank over time. Now understand I think it was SEVERAL years cause she's in her 70's now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Re: HOW MANY THYROID NODULES DO YOU HAVE & IF THERE ARE SEVERAL DO DOCS DECIDE TO REMOVE

Until last fall, I had a slightly noticeable nodule in the right lobe of Thyroid. When it had grown X 2 its' size in a years time, my Endocrinologist wanted it out. So that's what occured in Oct. I'm on Thy meds now to help it function better. To my knowledge, they can't remove JUST the nodule because of the thyroid's small size, making removing that 1/2 of Thyroid necessary.

My remaining 1/2 of Thyroid has a few smaller nodules, that are on a "watch" statis.

Have they checked your TSH, t3 & T4's? Often the reason for nodules is that the thyroid IS NOT functioning properly anyway. Did you have an ultrasound or other scans on the enlarged nodules?

Welcome Debjean tncindy!
take care,
Sue

Old 04-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: HOW MANY THYROID NODULES DO YOU HAVE & IF THERE ARE SEVERAL DO DOCS DECIDE TO REM

Unless yours are large, possibly cancerous or causing you problems, they leave them alone. You should be tested regularly. What were the results of the antibody test? Hopefully they tested for Graves too. Post them with the ranges, and also call your doc and get the results of the other tests WITH THE RANGES(all labs are different) so someone here can help you. You may already be having symptoms - depression, constipation, hot flashes - there is a whole list in the archives at the top of the page for Hashi's and Graves - hypo and hyper - you don't have to have them all and some are the same for both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debjean777
Hello, I was able to see an endo yesterday about my thyroid nodules that are benign. He did an ultrasound in his office and said to his nurse this looks like Hashimoto's. He said my thyroid was enlarged and there were 3 nodules. All my blood work came back normal (TSH, T3, free T4). He then took blood to do an antibody test to see if it is Hashimoto and said that if the blood test showed antibodies that my body is trying to destroy my thyroid. He mentioned that there is no treatment until i become either hyper or hypo which could be never or years to come. Can i still have symtoms without actually be hyper or hypo right now? I feel like i'm going crazy.... very depressed, hot flashes and i'm only 36 yrs old, wake up at night very warm. I'm not fatigued though. Can someone please give me some words of encouragement? It's hard to find a doctor that cares. Thanks so much everyone!!!!
Quote:
Hi, i don't have my lab report but i have had an ENT, an internal medicine dr. and an endo doctor do a TSH and a free T4 and T3 and they were indeed normal according to all 3 doctors. I'm waiting on the antibody test to see if i have Hashi's. The endo told me that there is no treatment at this time because i'm neither hypo or hyper at this time acording to my blood work. He said my thyroid is functioning fine right now. I'm so confused and scared because i'm having symtoms of thyroid problems. So if my antibody test shows that my thyroid is being destroyed by my body than i have to wait around until my thyroid isn't producing the way it should. I could just scream. It seems that with an enlarged thyroid gland and 3 nodules that my thyroid is pretty screwed up... but what do i know. My thyroid gland has always been slightly tender also.
Of course, the constipation could be the meds - I don't know what the side effects of effexor or klonopin are.
Quote:
Hi All, I am taking 225 mg of effexor and 2.5 mg of klonopin daily and i have been constipated ever since i started taking it. It's kind of an embarrassing question but i figure maybe someone is experiencing the same thing. My depression is getting a little better except i was flipping through the channels on the tv and started watching THE STEPMOM (with Julia Roberts) and i bawled for an hour. I knew it i shouldn't of watched even a second of it because i've seen it before and it tore me up then. Sometimes i feel like i torture myself that way. Also, does anyone know if Klonopin is addictive?
PLEASE get back to us with the tests results.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
(female)

itsmefelee HB User

Personally, nodules aren't supposed to be in your thyroid. If they don't belong there, remove them. This is my theory since 2002 when they found a small nodule on my right thyroid while doing an MRI of my c-spine. All my thyroid blood tests always came back fine. I had an uptake and it came back as a cold nodule. I then asked for a biopsy. The doctor took three samples and they came back benign. He suggested I have it tested again in 6 months. I told him if it didn't belong there, I wanted it out. Had surgery that November and frozen section during surgery was benign as well. Well, low and behold the final pathology report nearly three weeks later came back as cancer, follicular varient of papillary carcinoma.

My theory...if it doens't belong there, get it out.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: HOW MANY THYROID NODULES DO YOU HAVE & IF THERE ARE SEVERAL DO DOCS DECIDE TO REM

Wow, itsmefelee!! Thank you for enlightening me. I have never heard a story like yours. 3 FNA samples benign yet cancer. I didn't realize it could be that way. Of course, they can't just take out the nodule - they have to take that half or the whole thing. The one thing in someones favor is that if it is cancer, it is normally very slow growing - only one kind is really really bad and it is very very rare.

Debjean - do you have any test results yet?

Old 04-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
(female)

TEEEB HB User

My sister had the same experience as itsmefelee. The FNA showed nothing, so they left the nodule alone for about six months. It grew and was causing her difficulties so the doctor agreed to remove it. The lab work performed while she was in surgery showed nothing. Then the frozen work which came back later showed follicular cancer, so she had to have the other node removed.

Since I have 3 nodules, I've been reading up on it. From what I've read the accuracy of the results are tied to the size of the nodule. The larger the nodule, the more likely the FNA will be accurate. In a 1 cm nodule, the rate of a false negative (results say the tissue is benign when in fact there is cancer present) can be as high as 40%!

Needless - or needles - to say, my sister isn't a fan of FNA

Closed Thread