It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
shmily...question on dr. sessions

I am thinking of him again. I went to the Diagnostic Clinic in Houston, he ran all the normal tests, like cbc, etc. I thought he would run all kinds of different tests, kind of some more specific tests for endocrine function. Anyway, the cortrosyn stimulation test for the adrenals showed:

baseline cortisol 17.5

30 min. cortisol 32.8 H

60 min. cortisol 37.2 H

They gave me no ranges. It appears that my adrenals work fine. I am at a loss as to why I feel so weak, am hot all the time, and don't tolerate my thyroid meds. I was thinking Sessions might be able to find a clue. I've never been to a D.O.

My endo here in Louisiana is great in that he will let me do whatever with the thyroid meds, or possibly even have my thyroid out. But I'm scared if I really am a little adrenal insufficient to have surgery, and then to still not tolerate meds!

Karen

Old 04-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Re: shmily...question on dr. sessions

I would not want to get my thryroid out unless it was absolutely necessary for the same reason you stated. It is tempting with all the problems we have to just want to get rid of it. ha

Go back and read what I wrote to you before about Dr. Sessions. He is certainlly not a TSH "worshiper".......believes in giving enough medication to get your thyroid levels up to the upper third of range, even if your TSH is suppressed. If I remember correctly, you are hyper T. though.

The main reason I quit using him was that the last time I had an appointment with him, he had just run a lot of tests and he was in the office with me and I was asking him a lot of questions. After about 15 min. he said to me, "I have an office full of people out there. I can't spend any more time with you." I was shocked because he had done a hair analysis that showed I was high in iron and iodine and I wanted to know what to do about it. My regular blood test didn't show that and I was concerned and I never got an explanation and still don't know. My thyroid dr. now just shook his head, and said that hair analysis were not accurate enough to diagnose. I think I believe somewhere "in between".

Another thing about him, he does not make appointments. I always tried to get there about 15 min before he opened because everybody lines up at the door before they open and it's "first come, first served." That is inconvenient and I guess that is why I got so upset with him when 15 min was too much time to give me when I had waited an hour or so to see him. I asked one of his nurses about the way he treated me and she said he must have been having a bad day, but they had had other complaints about him.

But on the other hand, I do believe he knows what he is doing. He just doesn't like to discuss it with you. He does prescribe armour but usually prescribes thyroid compounds that you can get at a pharmacy right across the highway from his office. I asked the pharmacist about it and he said it was just like armour but without the fillers that some people are allergic to. I forgot to ask him if it was synthetic or natural like Armour, but I would think it would be synthetic.

I know a lot of people that are using him for their thyroid and really like him. If I went to him again I would tell him I didn't want the hair analysis and all the unnecessary tests and I would tell him I would like commication because I wanted to be proactive in my treatment.

He is closed on Wednesdays I would call first to be sure he is going to be in the day you come.

If you see him, let me know the outcome and what you think of him. He has another dr. that works with him that I have heard that treats just like him but has a better bedside manner. Don't remember his name but at the time I went was the only other dr. there. His clinic in on Hwy 96 on the south side of Kirbyville. It is called Jasper County Medical Center.

Last edited by SHMILY; 04-28-2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: deleted phone number

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread