It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

Melissa Anne HB User
Lightbulb Boarderline HyperT - My story

arialblue

My story is of hyperT, but my numbers are all boarderline with symptoms of rapid heart beat, sweating, tremors, nervousness, short of breath, major lack of concentration, elimination upset, tongue tingling, inability to exercise, etc. Also diagnosed at the hospital in October with panic attack. I was diagnosed with high B/P in October and Diabetes in February.

My endo doc acted like there was NO way I could be so uncomfortable with hyperT symptoms because of how I presented physically and the numbers he was looking at: TSH .03 (low), T4 101 (normal) and T3 226 (high). Iodine uptake was 34.8%. The boarderline percentage for the Iodine uptake is between 25%-35%. Again, I am at 34.8%. Pretty darn close to 35%. These are all boarderline numbers for the values that we read about.

Thanks to the book Thyroid for Dummies, I was alerted that I may have T3 Thyrotoxicosis because my TSH was very low, the T3 was so high, but the T4 was in range. The book explained it was a form of Graves', i.e., caused by some kind of autoimmune disorder. Today at my doctor's appt., I pulled out my book, Thyroid for Dummies, and showed it to my doctor. He was a little offended and said he had many books in his office. Then later on in our conversation, the doctor actually told me, "I never thought of T3 thyrotoxicosis....." Well let me tell you, I was furious that the doctor said that to me and that he thought I was OK because everything appeared "normal." I had been telling him from the beginning of our relationship about my symtoms and I don't think he listened and/or believed me. I know my body and know when I am not feeling like normal for me. I feel like things are going a mile-a-minute inside of me. Doctors need to open their ears and listen to what we are telling them. Symptoms are as important as signs and test values.

Thanks to the Thyroid for Dummies, my persistence, and my husband sitting in the room with his arms crossed and a very serious look on his face, the Doctor agreed to give the medication route a shot. Today I received a beta-blocker Propranolol (Inderal) 20 mg t.i.d. and Methimazole 10 mg, o.d. I took my first Propranolol at 12:30 and could feel a slight difference by 2pm. Just that little bit helped the nervousness, tremors and rapid heart rate! Hopefully, things will only get better.

Thanks for all of your posts, they have really helped educate me and have gotten me through the hard times.

Best of luck to all of you. I hope this helps someone who is "boarderline" hyperT like me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Boarderline HyperT - My story

Hooray for you!!! You stand as an inspiration to every one of us who has ever been treated badly by a thyroid doctor.
Wishing you the best of luck in your recovery.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
(female)

SoManyFeelings HB User

Hi Melissa, glad to hear that your dr. is treating you ... and thank goodness for all your knowledge of your thyroid before seeing him ... certainly does take some drs. by surprise, that's for sure, as we all know "we are our own best health advocate" ... "YOU GO GIRL"!!

Old 04-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
(female)

Melissa Anne HB User
Smile Re: Boarderline HyperT - My story

Thanks for your words of encouragement! I feel so much better today after only 3 doses of the beta blocker!. Best to everyone!

Old 04-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi Melissa Ann,

Just wanted to say "good for you"........I just bought thyroid for Dummies as well. Hope I find answers to some of my questions, altho I must say this board has been a God Sent!

Let us know how you're feeling.
Rachel

Old 04-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
(female)

Lola51 HB User

Hi Melissa Ann,

I was diagnosed as Sub-clinical HyperT back in Sept. My TSH was <.01, but everything else was in range. My uptake read 33% and my scan showed an enlarged thyroid - goiter! The only symptom I had was occasional palpitations and anxiety with some occasional sleep problems, so I went along until February when they got pretty bad. I started on 10 mg tapazole and 10 mg Propranolol and after 2 weeks felt FABULOUS!! But after about 2 or 3 more weeks, I started to get depressed, weight gain, and the sleep disturbances started back. My numbers showed that although my TSH was still low (.03) my FT4 & TT3 were now also so low, they were borderline hypoT!! I cut back the Tap to 5 mg and the Propranolol to 5 mg, and I'm feeling pretty good again.

I guess because we were just "borderline" hyper, it doesn't take much to get it back, but we have to watch that the numbers don't go too low. My endo wanted me to keep at the 10 mg level, but I know what feels better! I was also told that going hypo after being hyper can cause antibody problems. I don't have GD, but it could swing that way if I don't watch it.

Isn't it wonderful to feel good again?? But we still have to supervise our own wellness!!

Best for continued good health,
Lola

Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
(female)

Melissa Anne HB User
Wink Re: Boarderline HyperT - My story

Hi Lola:

Thanks for your encouragement and for sharing your story with me . I, too, am concerned about doing an about-face into hypoT, but at this point, I feel a lot better, so, one day at a time. I'm still having anxiety attacks and heart palps once or twice a day, but at least its not all day long . I'm actually going to see a new endo/holistic doc in May to get another opinion. I'll let ya' all know how that goes. My best to you Lola. I hope you continue to feel better too! Thanks again.

Melissa

Old 04-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
(female)

Melissa Anne HB User

Thanks for your encouragement Rachel! I like the way the author writes. I also bought Diabetes for Dummies and Diabetes Cookbook for Dummies. Happy reading!

Best wishes,

Melissa

Old 04-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

Just thought that I might throw this in for ya...if you believe that it is a form of Graves then you should have your antibodies done....TSI is the one that would show if it is truely Graves, and even if the other tests are within range if it is Graves it will be elevated.

Closed Thread