It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User
First test series after TT and RAI

There are so many tests mentioned in the threads on here that I am confused.

Some tests seem to be aimed at identifying problems specific to females, and others may be appropriate for Graves or Hashi sufferers, but I need to know which tests are appropriate for someone who had a recent TT and RAI. I've been on 200mcg Synthroid for about 60 days now and may be going in this week for the first tests. It's been a roller-coaster but I've been feeling pretty good for about 10 days. I recently started losing hair, however, and am retaining fluid in my legs.

Of the following tests, which should I insist are done?

Thyrozine, T3 Resin Uptake (or Thyroid Uptake), Free Thyrozine Index (FT1 or T7), Free T4, Total T3, Free T3, TSH, Anti-TPO, Ferritin, and Hgb/hct.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks to everyone willing to share their vast collective experience.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User
Re: First test series after TT and RAI

I just found out my endo does three tests--TSH, Free T4 and Thyroglobulin.

My follow-up question is--if I am unable to convince him to do additional tests should I go doctor shopping?

There is a DO in town who comes highly recommended by a friend with Graves. But she is on Synthroid only (like me) and during the time he was helping to get her stable all he did was tweak the dosage. Is that necessarily a sign that he might not be one to consider Armour or Cytomel to supplement Synthroid?

I know, this question is objectionable on the grounds it requires speculation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Archie,

I met my endo, let's call him Dr. Doogie because he's so young, just before my surgery to get clearance for my surgeon. At that time, he was willing to run any test I wanted. But afterward, he focused only on TSH---and I will tell you, why I accept this, no problem---he keeps my TSH suppressed, below .01, to prevent a cancer recurrence.

If anything, I tend to be more on the hyper side, than the hypo side. He got my TSH where I wanted it, he didn't mind giving me T3 when I asked for it/needed it---afterward. Once he got my TSH where he wanted it, my other tests were so hyper, my GP who ran them as a routine, couldn't believe it. I dropped the T3, and the water retention and brain fog eventually lifted with just synthroid.

I will also say that even if you get to the right bloodwork "numbers" it takes a while to feel normal---you may be suffering leftover symptoms from being so hypo---the hairloss can be from the hormone change of going from hypo back to a more normal range. It really does take time for your body to readjust---you were soooo hypo for so long, then you had the trauma of the RAI.

Boy, I'm rambling here, but because of the thyroid cancer, first I would worry about getting to where your endo wants your TSH supression wise, and then give your body a chance to catch up and then, tweak to get to where you feel better.

I think the people here with Hashis need more extensive bloodwork---because the doctors are more worried about getting them to the "normal TSH" range, where your endo might want to achieve a supressed TSH with you. You also have to get baseline and manage the thyroglobulin issue. I'd skip the DO for right now. The DO might even prefer you work with an Endo because of the thyroid cancer issue. You can always explore the other doctors and options at any time.

But that's just my totally unprofessional opinion.......

Old 04-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

I like the way you think, Reece. A lot of what I read on here is about the Graves and Hashi people and it has confused the issues for me. Thanks for clearing the air and focusing on my situation which is, after all, very much like yours.

BTW, the DO's specialty is endocrinology but I'll stick with what I have for now.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread