It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Neck "fullness"???

I have been holding this "symptom" in for a while from my dr...well from everyone around me. Its hard to describe, i have a dr appointment tomorrow 4:30 EST that i want to mention this. i dont know if it has to do abouts WITH my thyroids OR NOT???? But my neck has a full effect, like a sorta swollen but no pain, but there is pressure on my vocal cords and swallow tube but not enough to hinder anything at this point. The only thing i can think of is that my nick feels fuller then before. I guess you can say bigger, but to me it doesnt look bigger, it just FEELSthat way. AM i losing my blasted mind here, its 1 am in the morning and im worrying about this?? Oi...

Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
(female)

Melissa Anne HB User
Re: Neck "fullness"???

Kittenpaws:

I feel the same way. Just was diagnosed with boarderline HyperT. Started meds this week and already that feeling has diminished. Don't freak out. Good luck. Let us know what the Doctor said.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenPaws
I have been holding this "symptom" in for a while from my dr...well from everyone around me. Its hard to describe, i have a dr appointment tomorrow 4:30 EST that i want to mention this. i dont know if it has to do abouts WITH my thyroids OR NOT???? But my neck has a full effect, like a sorta swollen but no pain, but there is pressure on my vocal cords and swallow tube but not enough to hinder anything at this point. The only thing i can think of is that my nick feels fuller then before. I guess you can say bigger, but to me it doesnt look bigger, it just FEELSthat way. AM i losing my blasted mind here, its 1 am in the morning and im worrying about this?? Oi...
I know what you are talking about, I get them from time to time and I have hashis/goiter...Do you have hashis? Maybe it could be a flair up?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

I found out i was hypo last aug, i was in really bad shape. But for the neck part i was loosing my voice, I would gag sometimes, I had sleep apnea or what ever its called, I snored very loudly. Now that i think back i had the full feeling also. It's took 3-4 months of meds, and that all has went away, my thyroid is still bigger than normal, but i can live with it.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
(female)

SoManyFeelings HB User

Hi KittenPaws

Sure hope all's okay and the feeling goes away for you soon. I understand what you mean and thought I'd share my story.

As of this past winter I had a good few new symptoms to add to my list of already past conditions but I kept thinking these new symptoms were related to those, meaning either post-menopause, lupus, fibromyalgia, degenerative disk disease, Raynaud's, the list goes on . Anyway, my new symptoms first started last fall 2005 and the first new symptom started with my throat, kinda choked on my toast while I took my first bite, I thought, hmmm., that's strange but it happened a few times in the mos to come. Then this past Jan-Feb. I started noticing a more fullness of my throat and also a fullness that lead to a different feeling of swallowing ... I thought this is crazy, just trying to gulp was kinda hard ... but, just like you, it wasn't painful. Also, I started with the graspy/hoarsey voice in and out but choked it all up to ... well, whatever condition I had that maybe it could go with, menopause maybe, hehe ... no, really, could have been my hiatal hernia or GERD, but wasn't sure what was changing with me but knew it was something.

Then, oh my goodness, lucky me got to go have a colonoscopy done, ordered by my gyn since I had consti. for 6 wks which was definitely unusual for me (another symptom but didn't realize it was one at the time), I really didn't want to have the procedure but like the dr. said, you're 49 and you'll be needing it soon anyway ... soooo I did the prep with the green bottle of 10oz magnezium citrate and the gallon jug of nulytely (sp?) ... anyway, prep went well, lol, and the procedure the next morning went well (no polyps thank God, but have diverticulosis which is diverticular disease, geez, one more disease I can add to my list).

However, for the next 3 days my throat became so swollen to the point that I couldn't even swallow/gulp (not painful though but just scary when you can't gulp) and ended me up in E.R. only for the MD to say I had spring allergies and prescribed me 3 meds, of course I didn't take a one though ... I knew this MD was a quack and I stopped by to speak to the pharmacist at the store and she said "from all the sodium you just put into your body with your colonoscopy procedure" can certainly have an affect on your throat and body, absolutely ... and told me to drink plenty of water to keep flushing it all out of my system. So, after a few days I could swallow/gulp a little better but I still had the fullness and thickness in my throat and still have it as I type this now and my speech gets hoarsey off and on. (I'm still not sure though if any of the prep drinks I had ... had any influence with my thyroid, it does seem possible).

As I know now, this fullness of my throat, as well as many of us, do have this feeling mainly due to our thyroid. Bye for now, Marty

Old 04-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi KP,

I get swallowing probs big time when I'm undermedicated. To the point of losing weight. DO MENTION the feeling of fullness inside your throat to the doc.

Best wishes.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

Well stupid me forgot my notepad at home (brain fog gets to me) so i forgot to mention it to my dr. I did get my labs back, all the dr would tell me was that my TSH got down to 0.32 ..... Geeze i still feel the same as when it was 15.8...blah blah blah. I do also know the feeling about having lots of diseases but mine are all undiagnosed since they always clear up when it DR time. Sometimes it feels like im trying to swallow a square, sharp pain in the back of my throat...this is while drinking LIQUID.. i dont understand it sometimes. Maybe its because i always feel congested and stuffed up even though i am not (I believe its lupus due to other ailments but tests proved "false" ...plus my dr doesnt believe in it if blood doesnt show anything. plus i got fibromyalgia as well(been blabbing there about this too :P trying to get answers)).

I was just reading another thread on this section (the one about getting in a fight with a dr friend) and it helped me understand something about T3 and T4 can be off and your TSH can be "normal" and still have HypoT symptoms... I think im gonna look into this, maybe disguss it with my dr. The next appointment is in 2 months. If ya can help me out that'd be super... Im feeling kinda lost...

Old 04-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

oh yes. i've got hashi's. the throat symptoms that i complained of is what led me to be tested and later diagnosed for hypothyroidism.

i'm still working my way up to optimal dosage of levothyroxine, and the neck fullness/tight throat sensations come and go and worsen depending on my posture. especially worsens if my head is lower than the rest of my body like when i'm bending over to clean the tub or something - feels like my throat and head swell and weigh about 50 pounds.

Closed Thread