It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

cmvt74 HB User
thyroid and poly cystic ovary syndrome

Hello I went for my second opinion yesterday for endocronolgy and metabolism. She feels I have poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) that is causing my thyroid to act up. Has anyone ever heard of this? She said it relates to your whole endrocrine system and will mess everything up. She is putting me on glucaphage to help normalize my blood sugars and regulate my periods. The thing that scares me is that my sugars are already ok,,i have normal to low sugar so will that lower my sugars even further? I was dianosed with hypoglycemia and pre-diebetis. I've heard of syndrome X and said I have some symptoms of this also. With me having the high antibodies to my thryoid it kind of ties in with estrogen dominance also. I've read today that too much estrogen or not enough progesterone can cause an auto immune disorder and could cause hashimotos which i thought was interresting. I've said all along that it felt like something hormonal was wrong because every month around my ovulation my symptoms gets worse. She also said that is when your hormones are at its highest and maybe that is why I get worse then. She still will not treat my thyroid because of my high heart rate. She feels it will agravate my already high heart rate. I did take a small dose of thryoid before in Oct and it landed me in the hospital for severe tachycardia and high blood pressure. Maybe I shouldn't take thyroid but I'm so tired of feeling like crap all the time. She is making me take 1 mg of dexamethason at midnight and then I have to go to the lab at 8 am to check my cortisol levels. She is checking for cushings disease but she feels its not what it is so she just wants to rule it out. Anyone ever take glucaphage? I am taking 500 mg extended release at dinner and then I am supposed to increase it slowly to 3 at dinner. This is supposed to help with PCOS and then if that helps the doctors feels it will in turn help my thyroid. Anyone have any thoughts on this? She is also checking my thryoid function again to see what it is. My last numbers in march were TSH 3.28, free t3 286, free t4 0.8, hemoglobin a1c 5.0, peroxidase antibodies 698. She wants me to follow a low glycemic diet and see if that helps me too. I am curious to what your thoughts are.

Thanks
Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
(female)

MarlaP HB User
Re: thyroid and poly cystic ovary syndrome

Hi Christine,
I've also been diagnosed with PCOS, but it am being treated in the opposite ay to you! I'm being treated for the hypothyroidism but not taking anything for the PCOS (pretty much because I've said I don't want to take any birth control which was the only treatment offered to me).

How did they diagnose you as having PCOS? I went to my doctor complaining about not having my period for up to six months at a time. She asked me a few more questions, like the age at which I started my period (about 13) and if it had ever been regular (no), and seemed to conclude that PCOS was the problem. I've heard that it's a sort of generalized diagnosis, that a person having a few symptoms can be said to have PCOS, which is why I assume she diagnosed me as she did. Did your doctor do any definitive tests to diagnose you? I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with this.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
(female)

appleofearth HB User

my doctor tried to say i had PCOS rather than a thyroid problem when I was arguing with him he did a blood test that came back with normal hormone levels so gave up on that... I think it's one of the ones with similar symptoms to hypothyroidism so it's often worth them testing you for it.

My symptoms always get worse about a week before my period, oestrogen does something to your T4 that makes less of it available for use... don't remember exactly how it works thought, you'd have to google it your doc is right though, the whole endocrine system is a big fat balancing act, only takes one thing being out of sync with the rest to make the whole lot go wrong - that's why thyroid probs cause so many weird symptoms :/

doesn't the fact that you have high antibodies imply that you have hashi's?

Becky

Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #4
(female)

cmvt74 HB User

My doctor offered me birth control pills but I can't take them. It raises my blood pressure to high. Even though I'm on high blood pressure meds now I don't know if I could handle it. My gynie doctor said I can't take any birth control pills because he gave me the lowest dose and I had a major reaction to it. I took them in high school to regulate my period and it really helped. I knew exactly when it was coming and it was much lighter and much less crampier. I wish I could take them because I know it would help. The doctor just dianosed me by my symptoms which I thought was kind of strange. I would have thought she would have done an ultrasound of my ovaries to make that diagnosis. I guess she sees enough patients to know what it is. I don't have some of the symptoms it says,,I don't have the extra facial hair or acne and I guess that is a major sign. Maybe mine is in the beginning stages and didn't get that yet. I see my gynie in May so I am going to ask him about PCOS and see if he will do the ultrasound and see if my ovaries are enlarged or have cysts on them. I know my mom has cysts on her ovaries and she has a lot of the same symptoms as I do. The information I get says its heriditary so maybe this is it. She won't treat my thyroid because of my heart rate,,I even asked her for just a very low dose but she said it would aggravate my already bad symptoms. My heart rate now will go up to 160 at times. Usually its around 140 when I do anything but when it is around my ovulation it will go up to 160. I asked my doctor about the high antibodies and she said that a lot of people have high antibodies and does not neccasarily mean that I have Hashi's. She even said she has antibodies and nodules but she doesn't have hashi's. What symptoms do you have to have in order to be diagnosed with Hashi's. Heck I have every one of them! She said she would have treated me if it wasn't for my heart rate and since my nodules are smaller than 1 cm for now they just need monitored. Regardless of nodules size,,can't they produce hormone and make you hyper for a time? I get so frustrated and confused by the doctors. At least this second opinion told me something new. I ordered a book on PCOS and I should be here next week. My doctor also wants me to eat a low glycemic diet and said this will help so I also ordered a book on that with recipes so hopefully with the diet change and glucaphage it will help me lose weight. I am to eat 3 meals a day with 3 snacks in between. It seems like I all do is eat but she said that will help my insulin and sugars. I am also going to have my gynie check my hormones around ovulation and see what the numbers are compared to last time which was right before my period. Maybe i do not have enough progesterone and have estrogen dominance and that in turn makes all my other symptoms worse. At this point I'm grasping at straws to figure this out. Somewhere along the way someone has to tell me what is wrong. I have tons of stuff wrong and each doctor tells me that but they have to lump it all together and put it into one thing. AHH so frustrating going from doctor to doctor and each one puts you on a medication so now I'm taking more than what I would like. Somewhere around 10 now. I get so tired of popping pills everyday but if it helps then I guess I will have to do it. Thanks for both of your replies. It really helps knowing someone out there has the same symptoms as me. Some days I feel like I'm so alone and no one gets it. That is what is so great about this website,,so many pepole have such similar symtpoms and experiences and its great to talk to everyone about it.
Thanks again,
Christine

Old 04-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
(female)

Bemm4 HB User

Oh my favorite subject! I have had PCOS for 25 years now. I am 41 now. I have hashi's and had a total thyroidectomy October 2005. I take Avandia for type 2 Diabetes. It is amazing what the hormones can do to your body. I tried the Metformin but I was to sick on it. The side effects never went away. Good luck on your journey. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Elaine

Old 05-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Have you treid posting on the thyoid forum? I have hyperthyroidism l too ended up in hosp with blood pressure higher than ever when l started levothyroixne as part of my block and replace treatment along with my antithyroid medication maybe your doc should of given you a lower dose l know l have the opposite to what you have but your post interested me as even on a high dose of antithyroid medication l am getting more and more hyper and you mentioned pco can make thyroid have problems would one of you kind ladies tell em what symptoms on would have with pco please? Cheers good luck with everything

Old 05-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ps my symptoms get really worse 10 days before my period right till its finished

Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi this is interesting because they found a cyst in my ovaries and everything is put of sink with me im at my wits end do you have awfull heavy periods?? ido they really scare me i have anemia also but no further tests are available they wouldnt give me the pill because im 35 and i lightly smoke any thuoghts where i should go freom hear?????? lots of love from kat xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx i hope you get better soon

Old 05-31-2006, 03:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

to my knowledge pcos does not cause hashis..Hashis is an autoimmune disorder.. our immune systems sees they thyroid as a foreign object and kills it off..Now if the thyroid is off it can cause symptoms of pcos..If im not mistaken there is a blood test to determine if you have it or not meaning the pcos
Also from what I have learned its not uncommon for women with thyroid disorders to have an estrogen and progesterone imbalance.. Estrogen dominance cant be treated very easily with natural progesterone or if one prefers synthetic..
On the flip side if one is w/o nodules, present antibodies, and has a clear bill of no pituitary tumors.. High amounts of estrogen will interact with the thyroid..Causing sub clinical hypothyroidism..
The whole hormnal system is awfully hard to learn and bloody confusing ..lol im trying my best to study up on what I can...I myself am suffering with estrogen domince and whacked up periods.."knock on wood that seems to be trying to stablize "
Hope all gets to feeling better ; )..Everyone take care

Crapola made a mistake , There isnt not just one test to test for PCOS there like a few of them...Had to retract that..
Found this somewhere;Hormone Level Testing: Testing testosterone, LH, FSH, and androstenedione levels. This test is one that doctors often use to determine whether you have PCOS or not.

Last edited by lucky charms; 05-31-2006 at 10:59 AM.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

My periods only last approx 3 days but really heavy for first 2 cramp and headaches is horrendous and feeling weak etc yes everything hormone wise is connected but l dont think l fit the criteria for pco.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:09 PM   #11
(female)

gr8flnancy HB User
Lightbulb Re: thyroid and poly cystic ovary syndrome

I was also diagnosed with Hashi's and my doc asked me a couple of questions and determined I may also have pcos. He said he needed to treat my hashi's first, then we can work on the other when I am stable (which I feel just may be never!). He asked me if I was trying to have children and I laughed b/c I'm a single full-time graduate student that has no time and it's the one last thing (besides marriage) that I wanted to do after I get my teaching career started. I swear, my last name should be Murphy b/c I seem to have the luck!
We'll see how it goes and I feel better knowing that this wasn't just my experience.
Thanks so much for sharing, it really helps!
Nancy

Closed Thread