It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

WantToFeelWell HB User
Question Looking for Eating Recommendations

I have been on Levoxyl with disappointing results, and recently switched doctors and am now on Armour. I don't think I am up to my ideal dose yet as I am still very fatigued. I am looking for recommendations on what I should and shouldn't be eating. I know there is a book, but it is checked out at my library right now.

I crave carbs and sweets, particularly when I am so tired (and my kids aren't!) that I need a boost of something. I know that is probably not what I should be eating, but I don't know what foods are the best for me aside from general "healthy" eating.

Any suggestions? Thank you!!!!!

Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: Looking for Eating Recommendations

Hi WantToFeelWell! Welcome to the thyroid board!
One of the things we would want to look at is your labs -WITH THE RANGES!!

Are you taking your med 2 hr after eating and 1 hr before and with no other meds? And calcium at least 4 hours apart from armour?

Some of the foods I have been researching MAY interfer with the T4 being converted to T3. It is a long list. However, you are on armour, so that Shouldn't be a problem, I guess????

AVOID these - some say if cooked they are ok.
almonds
apricots
arugula
bamboo shoots
bok choy
broccoli
brussel sprouts
cabbage
cassava
cauliflower
cherries
collard greens
corn
flax seed
kale
kohlrabi
lima beans
millet
mustard greens
peaches
peanuts
peas
pine nuts
prunes
radishes
rutabaga
sorghum
soy (beans + tofu etc.)
spinach
strawberries
sweet potatoes
tapioca/cassava
turnip greens
turnips
walnuts
watercress

AVOID
sulfur
chlorine
antihistamines
aspirin
Flouride

EAT selenium rich foods (unless they are on the list):
See at: [url]http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium.asp[/url]

I am adding these for selenium:
button mushrooms
shiitake mushrooms
shrimp
snapper
halibut
calf's liver
salmon

I also read somewhere that adding these may help:

Selenium (if not enough in diet - be careful and don't Over Dose on it)
Zinc
Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitimin E natural, d-alpha form
essential fatty acids (such as those found in fish body oils

That's my research so far - however check everything out. I am no medical person - just trying to improve my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
(female)

WantToFeelWell HB User

Thank you!

Is that list of don'ts all the time or just near the time that I take my meds?

Old 04-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Well, I believe it is all the time - until you get regulated. I will slowly add a food back in to my diet, ie broccoli since I LOVE it. Bear in mind some say if it is cooked, it is ok. Anyway, I am going to add it twice a week for at least 2 weeks - then if I have no problems I will try it 3 times a week - or as many times as you usually want it. But only one at a time - over at least a month, I would think. This is just my own thoughts - haven't read it anywhere!

The dairy products, as far as I know, are only limited within 4 hours of your meds - just like calcium. Some of these foods may not bother you at all. I learned the other day that almonds made me REALLY hypo. I ate 20 or so one night and the next day could hardly move. I hadn't been paying a lot of attention at the time and didn't remember them being on the list. I am going to post this on my refrigerator and probably put a list in the car - and of course to my parents and kids! Maybe it will keep them from buying almonds for mothers day

Hope this helps you some. Take care!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The whole point of replacing thyroid hormone is to normalize you. If one's life is going to be forever filled with "don'ts"... especially otherwise healthy and enjoyable foods... what's the point in going to the trouble?

I don't agree you have to avoid everything on "the list". Eat whatever is on it that you like and doesn't cause you trouble (except perhaps soy, which I view as evil... JMO).

I can identify wholeheartedly with your sugar and carb craving. I found that since I finally got stabilized on the right dose of Armour, the craving has been much more controllable. I hope it will happen for you as well.

A good diet for anyone, particularly a hypothyroid person, is one without most "white" food... refined flour, white bread, lots of white potatoes, most sugar. Think "South Beach Diet" without the copyright. Eat whole grains, lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, and lean protein. Don't be afraid of the so-called "good" oils... olive oil and nuts and their oils.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
(female)

Kharma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
A good diet for anyone, particularly a hypothyroid person, is one without most "white" food... refined flour, white bread, lots of white potatoes, most sugar. Think "South Beach Diet" without the copyright. Eat whole grains, lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, and lean protein. Don't be afraid of the so-called "good" oils... olive oil and nuts and their oils.
I have to second this. I've been on Atkins for over a year and feel better than I have in years physically, even with all the bouncing around my thyroid has done lately.

I'm not pushing Atkins, but looking at a lower carb way of eating seems to really help.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hey Midwest - Good point!!! I aggree with you all the way!!!
Quote:
The whole point of replacing thyroid hormone is to normalize you. If one's life is going to be forever filled with "don'ts"... especially otherwise healthy and enjoyable foods... what's the point in going to the trouble?
However, for me, right now (not forever), I need to watch these things since any one of them can cause a big crash and I am down for the day. What I NEED is another slight boost - well maybe more than slight - so I can be back to normal and eat as I used to. I can avoid these for a while - I don't intend to do it forever - just to not be so foggy and lethargic until I finally get the right doc -hopefully May 9!
Quote:
Agree - Agree - Agree - I forgot to add the white refined flour for sure. We have eaten only whole grain for a number of years -I make my own bread sometimes ! I don't know if it affects the thyroid hormones or not - but it is just NOT healthy! And the soy - it may have caused some of my problems, since I was vegeterian for about 8 years and guess what I ate a lot of? Soy! I also ate a lot of beans - which I continue to do. Great complex carbohydrate that can curb the cravings for sugar/white flour stuff!

Thanks for adding all that - It is hard for me to convey everthing that needs to be on the computer. You are an of mercy!

I have NO idea what the south beach diet is - a little familiar with the Atkins - My Brother and Sister both went on it and started having a few health problems after about a year or so. I think variety is the key for anyone. I just need to feel better NOW and by eliminating these foods and slowly reintroducing them back into my diet is what I am trying.
Gotta get hubby up for work.
Thanks again everyone!

Old 04-27-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

I appreciate having a list of the foods that can be problematic for us but I agree that we cannot have normal lives if we try to squeeze ourselves into the tiny molds that would be left by total elimination of so many otherwise healthy foods.

My strategy is to be aware of how much and how many of those foods I eat during any given day and try to be hyper-aware of how they might be affecting the way I feel. For instance, I ate a couple handfuls of filbert/hazelnuts last night (they aren't on the list but almonds are) and an hour later I crashed.

That tells me to be more moderate the next time I reach for the filberts.

I love pasta and rice but found out a few weeks ago that basing my whole diet around the two causes problems so now I limit myself to one serving of one or the other, per day. No problems at that level.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Thanks Archie! You know what is so great about this board? Everyone's point of view and experiences. My problem is I am so not used to sitting and sleeping most of the time. I can outwork both my daughters. I USED to have energy to burn. This is not ME. I want ME back! I want to avoid another big crash. I am, unfortunatly, getting used to the small ones.

Lady50 just answered me in another thread about milk -or any dairy - wait 4 hrs after meds - it has a lot of calcium. I have been researching foods since I had my little bout with almonds - put me down for a day. Today I ran across a little info that SOME people think milk and dairy products are bad for the thyroid. Harvey Diamond's book, Fit for Life, says milk is a major contributing factor to thyroid problems, especially since modern dairy products often contain traces of antibiotics such as penicillin and hormones which place an even greater burden on your endocrine system. ?? SO - buy the organic. ?? However, another guy - Dr. Norman Walker, M.D., in his book Become Younger, says one of the elements or ingredients which the Thyroid uses to make thyroxine is a protein known as casein. Our bodies manufacture our own casein out of the atoms present in our food, in the same manner that the cow generates the casein in her milk from her food. It is one of the important components of milk, but when cow's milk is used by humans of any age, it is not digested properly or completely under any circumstances. He says that is the reason why the use of milk not only creates a great amount of mucus in the system, but also has the tendency to disrupt the function of the Thyroid gland. The casein in cow's milk is 300% more concentrated than that in a human mother's milk. If you pasteurize or cook milk by boiling, the casein is changed still worse than in its raw state.
Well, I still think the jury is out on this one. I haven't read it anywhere else - yet. Clearly, a lot of people have problems with dairy - my hubby has lactose intolerant. My sister gets headaches if she eats too much dairy( discovered by elimination and slowly putting back in her diet). Lots of allergies to dairy.

Anyone ever try rice milk? I haven't seen it on the bad lists except to eat brown instead of white rice.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

In my younger days I drank milk with almost every meal. I thought it was good for me and was a good way to maintain my weight (I was a 140lb weakling from 15 to 30 something; couldn't gain an ounce and lost 5 pounds if I missed a meal; those days are long gone!).

Then I discovered it was causing many of the problems I started having in my 30s and I gave it up. I use milk on dry cereal once or twice a week--never just drink it.

But I am not about to give up cheese and the rare bowl of ice cream and I use milk in recipes that call for it.

I really don't think we were meant to drink milk beyond our childhood years. I'm reminded of Prince's song about vegetarianism--what's the line? Something about no other animal in the animal kingdom drinks milk beyond maturity...something to that effect. Great song, BTW. I'm not a vegetarian but I eat much less meat than the average person, usually chicken or fish. I have to be desparate for nurishment to eat a hamburger and steak is just too much WORK!

It sounds like you are much more sensitive to some foods than the norm, if there is such a thing as the norm! But if you're drinking glasses of milk you might try giving that up and with any luck you'll find you can still eat many other dairy products without problems.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Want to feel well - Any other questions/concerns? Do you understand this list is not a forever list - just some things that may interfer with the T4/T3 conversion or the thyroid (if you have one) making it.

Hi Archie, You sound like my son. Except, I hope, he has no thyroid problem. He eats like a horse, does all kinds of body strengthening things, and his wife does too. He eats TONS of protein to maintain his muscle.

I have given it up - just want it back. I really don't think we were meant to drink cows milk at all - just our mothers milk. However, it just tastes good to me and is easier to have than a steak. I never eat steak -I'm with you - it is just too much work.

I don't THINK I am sensitive to foods - just being cautious. If I eat ANYTHING like a normal meal I crash. It doesn't matter what it is. So I don't eat all day (just a piece of bread or an orange with my calcium) and eat a normal meal about 7 or so. Then I can crash.

I AM trying the selenium now, this is day 3. Day 1 took 100 mcg - day 2 & 3 50 each. I THINK there is an improvement. We'll see if it lasts. Maybe it is just the up in my meds. It's been 3 weeks since a doc upped me from 75 to 88 mcg Levothyroxine.

Old 04-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
(female)

WantToFeelWell HB User
Cool Re: Looking for Eating Recommendations

Thank you all for the great ideas. It has given me a lot to think about. I am much less controlled with my eating than most of you, so I think I might start keeping a diary of what I eat to see what the patterns are. Milk is an interesting one. My mom is hypothyroid and lactose intolerant. And, we drank a lot of milk growing up, and I haven't kicked the habit. I do really love it. Particularly on cereal. I had read about the calcium interfering with absorption of thyroid meds, so I've been trying to eat oatmeal instead (without milk). I've been buying organic for my kids and I drink it too. My husband prefers his "chemical laden" milk. My daughter was showing signs of lactose intolerance. Now, she seems fine with organic. Interesting. Is it the lactose or the chemicals?

Anywhoo... When should I be taking my selenium? I take my Armour first thing in the morning.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
(female)

b&wcats HB User

Hi, newly diagnosed hypo person here -- I posted regarding the dizziness question (and my lab results are there in case for some reason someone is interested ) --
I'm a bit confused -- I'm taking a tiny amount of generic synthroid (6 mcg in time release because of my extreme sensitivity to it) and nothing is happening yet (just emailed my doc to see if we can up it a bit) -- more on that in the other posting --

How and when am I supposed to take this? My doctor only said: 1st thing in the morning, wait 1 hour before eating and 4 before taking supplements / vitamins.

Any clarification would be most appreciated.

Also, i've been vegan most of my life (too much soy?!) so I'm having a huge amount of trouble trying to figure out what to eat, especially proteins -- I'm OK with eating eggs if that will help.

If anyone out there has any thoughts I would be so appreciative. I'm completely bewildered (and extremely fatigued, dizzy and cold -- something many of you know about)!

How do you ever do this with children?! I can't even get to work!

Thank you!

Old 04-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Haven't made it to the thyroid board in a long time. I am so glad I did today to see this thread. I had forgotten the thing about milk. Thanks so much for the reminder and all the other great info.

By the way I am hypothyroid and have my tsh and ft4 in a good range on 112mcg. synthroid but can't seem to get the ft3 up where I think it should be. Maybe I will take a closer look at my diet.

Glojer

Old 05-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi WantToFeelWell - I am not sure when selenium should be taken - I take mine in the afternoon, inbetween my calcium. Just in case it interferes with the T4.
Interesting about the milk - you never know!!! However, I will say for my hubby, he is fine if he eats cheese and takes his pill. If he forgets, watch out!!!! So I think HE does have a lactose intolerant problem, but for your daughter -could be whatever they give the cows. It's probably in meats too, though, so I would check that out.
Hi cats -thyroid meds - 1st thing in the morning, wait 1 hour before eating and 4 hours before taking supplements / vitamins -correct - or any food with a lot of calcium, like milk.
The average person needs 50-65 grams of protein each day.
Most beans work - I am sure you know that.

There is a list of protein content under nutrition on:
[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dietaryproteins.html[/url]

It is long, and full of meat and cheese! You can search the page for specific foods.

One cup of cooked beans or lentils contains about 14 to 18 grams.
Two tablespoons of peanut butter contains about 8 grams.
One serving of grain foods (barley, pasta, cereals, whole wheat bread, for example) generally contains 3 to 6 grams of protein.
Oatmeal/cream of wheat about 3-4 g per serving.
Cooked Barley - 1 cup has about 3.5 g.
brown rice -1 cup cooked has about 5 g.

Hi Glojer-haven't seen you in a while! I think for me the selenium may help -and I guess I need magnesium too. (and keeping away from the big problem foods)!

Let us know if you figure out what helps you!!

How much magnesium do most of you take?

Closed Thread