It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

betnanj HB User
Question "boarderline" hyperthyroidism

I'm wondering if anyone else out there is just boarderline as well and if their Dr. still prescribed medication. If so, what medicationg to take? Also, anyone with this problem, on medication, finding that it's helping with the weight loss? I am about 60 pounds overweight right now. I exercise 1-2 hours EVERY DAY and I eat healthy and it's not making any difference at all. The Dr. suggested that my Thyroid is the problem, but I don't know if I take meds if that will help with it all tha tmuch or not.
Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 04-26-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Re: "boarderline" hyperthyroidism

Hello-

I was borderline hyperT for 2 years due to a "hot" nodule found. My nodule has grown slowly and my thyroid finally went completely hyper a few months ago. I have suffered with symptoms for about 4 years total. I have never been medicated for the thyroid but for the symptoms instead. I take anxiety meds and beta-blockers for my heart palps. I have also opted as RAI for my treatment so I cannot take anti- thyroid meds before this. I have an uptake scan coming up on May 1st and 2nd to decide my RAI dosage.

I know what borderline is so I can completely relate to how you are feeling. I hope I have helped a bit.

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

Melissa Anne HB User
Re: "boarderline" hyperthyroidism

Betnanj:

I posted my story a few days ago on another thread. Here it is...

My story is of hyperT, but my numbers are all boarderline with symptoms of rapid heart beat, sweating, tremors, nervousness, short of breath, major lack of concentration, elimination upset, tongue tingling, inability to exercise, etc. Also diagnosed at the hospital in October with panic attack. I was diagnosed with high B/P in October and Diabetes in February.

My endo doc acted like there was NO way I could be so uncomfortable with hyperT symptoms because of how I presented physically and the numbers he was looking at: TSH .03 (low), T4 101 (normal) and T3 226 (high). Iodine uptake was 34.8%. The boarderline percentage for the Iodine uptake is between 25%-35%. Again, I am at 34.8%. Pretty darn close to 35%. These are all boarderline numbers for the values that we read about.

Thanks to the book Thyroid for Dummies, I was alerted that I may have T3 Thyrotoxicosis because my TSH was very low, the T3 was so high, but the T4 was in range. The book explained it was a form of Graves', i.e., caused by some kind of autoimmune disorder. Today at my doctor's appt., I pulled out my book, Thyroid for Dummies, and showed it to my doctor. He was a little offended and said he had many books in his office. Then later on in our conversation, the doctor actually told me, "I never thought of T3 thyrotoxicosis....." Well let me tell you, I was furious that the doctor said that to me and that he thought I was OK because everything appeared "normal." I had been telling him from the beginning of our relationship about my symtoms and I don't think he listened and/or believed me. I know my body and know when I am not feeling like normal for me. I feel like things are going a mile-a-minute inside of me. Doctors need to open their ears and listen to what we are telling them. Symptoms are as important as signs and test values.

Thanks to the Thyroid for Dummies, my persistence, and my husband sitting in the room with his arms crossed and a very serious look on his face, the Doctor agreed to give the medication route a shot. Today I received a beta-blocker Propranolol (Inderal) 20 mg t.i.d. and Methimazole 10 mg, o.d. I took my first Propranolol at 12:30 and could feel a slight difference by 2pm. Just that little bit helped the nervousness, tremors and rapid heart rate! Hopefully, things will only get better.

Thanks for all of your posts, they have really helped educate me and have gotten me through the hard times.

Best of luck to all of you. I hope this helps someone who is "boarderline" hyperT like me.

I feel better so far with meds although still having anxiety and heart palp at least once or twice a day, but not all day long like before. I go to a new endo/holistic doc in May to get a second opinion. I too am about 60 lbs overweight. I'm somewhat worried about going into hypoT, but right now it is so nice not to have the symptoms. But the weight thing is a bummer!

Best of luck to you.

Melissa

Closed Thread