It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

lfr HB User
Post sugery question/advice please

I had surgery last Friday - all thyroid removed except for one sliver that was surrounded by nerves that the surgeon felt it was better to leave. I started Synthroid the following morning - a very low dose (25 mcg.) which I've been worried is not high enough. I was told to follow up with my doctor in 2-3 weeks. I also experienced a drop in calcium and stayed an extra night in the hospital. Calcium seemed to level off and I was able to come home.

My recovery has been going well so far....as expected. But, last night I began to have leg pain, crampy feeling in my thighs and calves. I have experienced leg pain in the past I chalked up to hypoT symptoms. These pains feel similar. Today my legs still hurt and also feel like they're twitching a bit.

Is it the beginning of more hypo symptoms because my meds are too low? Could it be low calcium levels? In the hospital, when my calcium levels dropped, I had tingling in my face, lips, nose. I don't have any tingling now. My hands are a bit achy too.

I put a call into the dr. too - just curious what you all think.

Thanks, this board's been a big help so far.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
(female)

MATYA HB User
Re: Post sugery question/advice please

I didn't have any of these symptoms after my TT, but it is best to check with your Dr. I saw my Dr. every day for 2 weeks after my surgery to check my calcium levels. I started at 50 mcg of Levothyroid, now I'm up to 150 which may still need adjusting, since I still feel so tired.

I would check with My Dr. on this one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

lfr HB User
Re: Post sugery question/advice please

Thanks.

Yes, I definitely checked with the dr. I went in for bloodwork, I should hear something back this evening. Also, my one calf seems to be measuring a bit larger than the other, so the dr. is concerned about blood clot so I have to go in for a dopplar on my leg too. Both legs are aching, so I don't think that's it, but better safe than sorry.

I guess I was just wondering whether it's too soon to feel hypo aches and pains or 6 days post op is around when you start feeling them. I'll know whether it's calcium or not tonight I guess.

Again, thanks for your response. Interesting that you were sent for calcium follow up daily - mine was low when I was discharged, and I wasn't even told to follow up on it unless I had what the dr. called "horrible" cramps.

Good News though! The surgeon just called - and my follicular adenoma (despite showing atypical cells during surgery) is BENIGN! Yippee!

Last edited by lfr; 04-27-2006 at 05:01 PM.

Closed Thread