It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User
Taking temperature to monitor dose?

Curious if anyone is doing this, and if so, what are your temps throughout the day.

I used to be in the high 97.s in the morning & going up into the low 98's in the afternoon.

Recently, my temp has increased & looks like I'm heading into hyper......

Thanks for any feedback......................carole

Old 04-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
(female)

confused725 HB User
Re: Taking temperature to monitor dose?

Hi carole,

I will say one thing. I was in a horrible hyper stage not long ago & altho I dont make an attempt to monitor my temps (perhaps i should) I did note a few occassions out of curiousity.

Yes, when I was hyper my temp was normal, 98.5-99.0.

I started reading about how the body temp drops a degree or so when hypo and just for the heck of it, when all the hyper symptoms were gone I checked it out a few times and it was 97.2-97.6. Interesting.

I would tend to think that it would make a difference. You could very well be going into a hyperstage. How do you feel otherwise? Any other hyper symptoms? When is your next bloodwk due? Perhaps you'll see a correlation.
Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

It makes a huge difference. You can tell how well your body is carrying out metabolism. Most doctors don't agree with taking temperature. It has been proven by medical researchers at washington university in st. louis, that low metabolism is a cause of heart disease if not the cause.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

I've had hyper symptoms for two weeks now, and so dropped my dose l5 mg, which is what I've always been told.

Tests rarely show what's "real"...........Hashimotos needs special testing.

Thanks for that feedback; helpful to have that perspective.

carole

Old 04-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
(female)

Carolynnm HB User

Hi. I've been monitoring my temperature too. I am hypothyroid and I take levothyroxine. My doctors look at my blood tests and tell me that they are really looking good. My temperature is 96.3 in the mornings first thing. The other day it was 94.6 while I was at the doctor's office. 96 something seems to be my normal temperature now. I am currently being tested by a rheumatologist for lupus, but I think that I probably am dealing with hashimotos disease as well. I have the symptoms of both. My primary care doctor never bothered to check to see why I am hypothyroid.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynnm
Hi. I've been monitoring my temperature too. I am hypothyroid and I take levothyroxine. My doctors look at my blood tests and tell me that they are really looking good. My temperature is 96.3 in the mornings first thing. The other day it was 94.6 while I was at the doctor's office. 96 something seems to be my normal temperature now. I am currently being tested by a rheumatologist for lupus, but I think that I probably am dealing with hashimotos disease as well. I have the symptoms of both. My primary care doctor never bothered to check to see why I am hypothyroid.

You might want to search (broda barnes and thyroid).....he has done a lot of research into temperature and thyroid. 96 is still low. Doctors are still undereducated in the area of metabolism and heart disease. low metabolism has been found to induce heart disease.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I am a regular temp taker myself. Right now it has been around 97.6, which is still a bit low. Threw all my digitals away, because the 2 of them were not right on the mark. The mercury is the best to use.

I check mine in my mouth, as far under the tongue as it will go. Leaving it there for 5 minutes, before getting out of bed.

While being hyper, my temp was 98.6 as soon as awakening(of course didn't sleep well being hyper). So that was way too high for morning temp.

Also, your temp should be up to 98.6 by the afternoon. Just my opinion anyway.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
(female)

Sandy624 HB User

I don't take my temp I usually take my bp and pulse. I'll have to try the temp suggestion. My bp is always low but I knew when my pulse got low (40-43) that I was going hypo and had to quit the atenolol. Now my pulse is up to about 64-72 and I'm taking 20 mg of methimazole.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Speaking of methimazole doseages, my 17 year old cat was just diagnosed as hyper and the prescription is for 5mg tablets which I am to break in half, then give morning and evening.

Are you taking 20mg once or twice daily? If once it sure sounds like my cat is getting a huge dose based on comparative weights, that is unless you weigh about four times what my 6lb cat weighs.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
(female)

Sandy624 HB User

Actually I take 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. Hopefully it is helping your cat as well as it is doing so far for me!

Closed Thread