It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Exclamation HELP going crazy over thyroid meds, cant find right dosage"

Hi Guys I Am So Tired, I Dont Know What Else To Do Been To 2 Tops Docs And A Few Endos In Just 1 Year And I Still Get No Help, I Was Put On 150 And I Went Hyper--then From 100 Mcg And Go Hypo--- And At 125mcg--137 Mcg, And 150 Mcg And I Go Hyper Ont Hose Doses, I Am Thinking That I Need Soemthing Like 105 Mcg, Or So, I Am So Confused Because These Doctors Cannot Find Seem To Find The Right Dose,100 Mcg Is To Low For Me Yet When They Have Put Me On 112 Its Too High Andi Go Hyper? I Have Hashis Also But I Also Recently Started Birth Control Pills, And I Have Noticed That I Become Hyper Very Easily, I Am Wondering If Now That I Am On Birth Control Pills I Dnt Need As Much Synthroid, Anyway I Hope I Knew I\if Synthroid Has A 105 Mcg Pill For Me To Buy Online I Am So Sick Of Doctors That Dont Know What There Doing And They Are Supposively Top Docs, These 2 Seem To Think Nothing Is Related To The Thyroid, Chest Pain Etc.. Until Of Course The Blood Tests Come Out And Then They Are Convinced, I Am So Sick Of This Let Me Know What You Guys Think Thanks

Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: HELP going crazy over thyroid meds, cant find right dosage"

you might try armour....synthroid is know for going from one extreme to the other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2006, 04:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, actually i have tried armour and in my case it was a complete nightmare, definately did not work on me, i had RAI done and also had myxedema coma a few years ago, and have been on armour/synthroid and both at the same time, I think i will try to find another thyroid med, because synthroid isnt doing much at all. and armour was horrible on me,thanks for your response

Old 04-28-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I know what you are going through. It has been hard for me to find the right dose after RAI. I am 2 years post RAI, and taking .1 levoxyl. Not sure if it is the right dose for me yet.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-26-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User

Do you have any of the 112mcg and 100mcg left? Try splitting them in half and you will then have 106mg daily, which is around what you are looking for.
Since you only take T4, you could play around with a weekly dose of 735-750mcg divided by 7. Ex. every other day 112mcg and the other day 100mcg. Or 112mcg 3 days, 1/2 of 112mcg 1 day and 112mcg another 3 days.
Just a thought. Take care.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, and thanks for the advice that is a great idea i do have 112 mcg and also 50 mcg pills which i used to take 2 a day for a while, the advice sounds great, i will try to see what i can do since i dont have 100mcg tablets, i can just use a 50mc and spli a 112 and it equals 106, THANKS SO MUCH, i never really thought about that. i just want to avoid going to another useless endo, I am so sick of these lousy attitudes and charge us so much for nothing and at the end we are the ones that have to figure everything out, thanks god for these boards and for all you great people!

Last edited by jennyVee; 04-28-2006 at 09:30 AM.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi lady50, and thanks for the advice, i think it is right about the 100mcg, i was on that for about a year after rai/myxedema coma and was doing well, but then for some reason i have had trouble finding the right dose, my doc put me on 150mcg 2 years after rai,and also on cytomel, and i felt as if i were going to die, my chest hurt so bad,i was so out of breath i ended up in a cardiologist office getting all sorts of heart tests, and i went very hyper, so 150mcg was way to high for me, then on the 137 i went super hyper too,its been roughly 3 years after rai and i am as confused as ever, i have tried armour and it didnt work it was horrible,i tried the armour/synthroid combo and it was useless also, from what i have noticed i think i need somewher around 105 or 106 mcg, because on 112 i go hyper also, but then as i mentioned 100 mcg gets me hypo, aghh oh well hopefully i can split pills as someone mentioned and get the 106mcg, thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 06-26-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
(female)

riesloan HB User

I have read recently that birth control and thyroid suppliments to not work well together (been on both for 9 years now, first I've heard) but any way, supposedly bc is supposed to interfere with your body's absorption of the synthetic hormone.

I have been on synthyroid/levoxyl for around 15 years now and have NEVER been able to get it regulated, but recently my endo added 25mcg Cytomel to my 150 mcg and I feel better than I have in forever and my levels are CLOSER to normal (at least T3, T4 and TSH). I think there is just a different fix or happy medium for everyone.

The best of luck!

Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
(female)

mzjazz2u HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie342

- when you did take Armour, how did you start? I'm considering switching (from my current synthroid/cytomel combo) and have been advised to start at about half of what my "calculated" conversion dose would be, and increase slowly from there to minimize problems. Did you do that or just switch straight over?

Ellie
Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards. Ellie, I know you didn't address the above to me but thought I'd throw what I'm experiencing right now as far as med change. I was on 200 mcgs of synthroid for years and recently started on Armour. My doctor started me out on 120 mg. I'm not sure how that is working yet as it's only been about 3 weeks.

I see folks talking about starting Armour at a low dose and gradually increasing. Does anyone have any articles etc. on the advantages of that (or the disadantages of starting out on a higher dose?) I'm very interested in this topic.

Last edited by mzjazz2u; 04-28-2006 at 05:12 PM.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyVee
Hi Guys I Am So Tired, I Dont Know What Else To Do Been To 2 Tops Docs And A Few Endos In Just 1 Year And I Still Get No Help, I Was Put On 150 And I Went Hyper--then From 100 Mcg And Go Hypo--- And At 125mcg--137 Mcg, And 150 Mcg And I Go Hyper Ont Hose Doses, I Am Thinking That I Need Soemthing Like 105 Mcg, Or So, I Am So Confused Because These Doctors Cannot Find Seem To Find The Right Dose,100 Mcg Is To Low For Me Yet When They Have Put Me On 112 Its Too High Andi Go Hyper? I Have Hashis Also But I Also Recently Started Birth Control Pills, And I Have Noticed That I Become Hyper Very Easily, I Am Wondering If Now That I Am On Birth Control Pills I Dnt Need As Much Synthroid, Anyway I Hope I Knew I\if Synthroid Has A 105 Mcg Pill For Me To Buy Online I Am So Sick Of Doctors That Dont Know What There Doing And They Are Supposively Top Docs, These 2 Seem To Think Nothing Is Related To The Thyroid, Chest Pain Etc.. Until Of Course The Blood Tests Come Out And Then They Are Convinced, I Am So Sick Of This Let Me Know What You Guys Think Thanks

You know you hormones could be out of wack. Also, did they ever do a free T3 test? You might need to cut back on the synthorid, and add more of the T3. Also t3 doesn't last as long as the T4. You need to take the T3 twice per day (split dose). Also armour really should be taken twice per day (split dose). Especially true if yu have "afternoon crashes"

Closed Thread