It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

LeighJ HB User
Throat really sore & can barely swallow. Advice please

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 2 years or so ago. I was taking Synthroid and then about 2 months ago was switched to Armour. A couple of weeks ago I had blood test done and my TSH was 5.4, so they increased my dosage of Armour. Anyway, for awhile now, every time I have gone to the doctor I have complained about my throat being sort of sore. They say, it is just symptoms of an enlarged thyroid. I am not so sure though. I almost feel like one of my vocal cords is not functioning, in particular on the left side and I am not sure thyroid problems would cause that?? My voice has gotten so bad that it sometimes cracks and seems lower or hoarser. I have had some acid reflux for awhile (in fact had that diagnosed before thyroid problems and wonder if it is not a symptom of it). In the last 3 weeks it has gotten really bad, even though I am taking medicine for it.

At this point my throat hurts so much I can barely swallow and is now making my left ear hurt. It feels like every time I do swallow, it isn't really going down correctly and that it leads to reflux. It is weird to describe it, but almost like the right side of my throat is where everything is going down and the left side is blocked. I am not sure if it is my thyroid though that is the only problem. It hurts especially bad right below my thyroid, right on the left side where I guess would be my voice box or vocal cords are.

Do you think this sounds like something a nodule could cause or is it simply that my throid is enlarged?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User
Re: Throat really sore & can barely swallow. Advice please

Hard to say. It could be any of the things you have talked about. I lost my voice when i was hypo and not treated for it. Mine was inlarged also, that was my problem. I also snored very loudly, also because of the large thyroid, but they went away with time.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

I chatted with someone resently on another board that said something about there vocal cords being blocked and that it was due to the thyroid. They had to have surgery and then stated that they put in an implant to help them. Other than that I haven't heard of it before.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your enlarged thyroid may indeed be responsible for all the throat discomfort. It could also be the nodule. Have you ever looked at a diagram of throat anatomy? Google one up and take a look. The thyroid sits just below the voice box. Naturally, any enlargement or lump can press on the vocal cords or windpipe.

Your high TSH is evidence that you have been undertreated. Your acid reflux might be the result of that. The thyroid enlargement might be as well. Give the Armour a chance to work. You must have a better doctor than the one who prescribed Synthroid. Most - but of course, not all - Armour prescribers are better at thyroid treatment than those who won't Rx it.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-28-2006 at 05:54 AM.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Hi, I was diagnosed with hypo and hashimoto's about two weeks ago. My throat has been slightly sore and has been aching too for the last month. When I swallow my ear hurts as well. As of the last two days I have had a hoarse voice as well. I think it is due to my thyroid being enlarged. I understand your pain, it is an awful feeling, I'm getting so sick of it. Carisa

Closed Thread