It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

riesloan HB User
Question Thyroid Regrowth?????

Had thyroid (total) removed in 1991 and Radiation due to cancer. After my body scan in 1997 that came back clear. I was told to follow up with endo as needed. Now, recent thyroglobulin tests indicate thyroid tissue activity. I cannot find any information on a thing such as this. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I guess my worry is whether or not it will be cancerous if it is regrowing and all the while, my endo is not the least bit concerned. Any input, information sources would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by riesloan; 04-28-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Thyroid Regrowth?????

Hi! I had papillary last year, so I don't know as much as you. But, I think that thyroid tissue can regrow, and that's why they do the RAI to ablate all remaining tissue, and then keep your TSH suppressed, because if your body needs Thyroid hormone, your body just may create it, and if your TSH is suppressed, it hopefully doesn't grow back because your body has all it needs and then some.

So I would think that the regrowth would be considered a "recurrence" (any thyroid tissue is considered a "recurrence" healthy or cancerous is a danger to become cancerous)----is your endo now sending you for scans? You might have to do that to see where it is and what they should destroy?

Also----was your TSH maintained at a suppressed level all along? Were you "hypo" when the thyroglobulin was done? Just curious.

Hopefully, your endo knows what to do next.......my best wishes to you, ---if the doctor isn't worked up about it, that's always a good sign

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread