It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
any of you WORKOUT? any advice i get tired quick

Hi giuys i wanted to ask you all a question

I go from hypo- to hyper all year long, anyway recently while trying to work out on the body burner trampoline, I got so very tired after just 2 minutes jumping on that trampoline, my heartbeat went up high and i got a bit scared, of course i know that the heartbeat goes up while working out but since last time my labs came back 2 weeks ago i was hyper again, I am not sure if its safe to exercise, i dont feel hyper now since I lowered my meds, but anyway the body burner is super, i wish i could use it since I bought more dvd's for my body burner and on the beginner program i didn' tlast 2 min! aghh.I got scared because of my heartbeat and also got super tired and quit!, anyway do any of you workout? if so for how long each session, let me know if you have any advice for me, i am 40 pds overweight and wish i could lose at least 20, i was thinking of maybe doing 5 min/daily since its pretty intense.thanks all

Old 04-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

mollyann HB User
Re: any of you WORKOUT? any advice i get tired quick

Yes, I do and am just now getting back into the gym. Are you able to go to a gym to do strength training? I've found that while my cardio stamina has never been even close to average - and I was a competitive tennis player forever - that once I began strength training and got stronger, I was able to have much more stamina doing cardio, not to mention I simply felt better.
I'm a huge believer in lifting weights. I'm a girl and I'm 55 but I did strength training all through my 40s and I'll tell you that for the first 6 months at the gym, I only could lift weights. I couldn't do ANY cardio until after that and then it was a slow process. You said you're 40 lbs overweight. Working out (cardio) is a killer at first with extra weight. If you strength train 3-4x/week for just 30 minutes you'll be amazed at how your stamina for everything will improve. Your appetite will decrease and you will lose weight and get in shape. In spite of the thyroid crap.

How much and how long do I work out? I start out going 4 times a week/ Upper body 2x/week. Upper body takes 60-90 minutes for me to do.
Lower body 2x/week. Lower body takes about 45 minutes.

As I start to feel better and stronger (3 or so months), I increase my workouts at the gym to 6x/week but that's just me. Most people only need to strength train 4x/week. And you will not need as much cardio as you think if you lift weights.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi well i do admire you because i am 32 and 40 pds overweight and i cant get through past 2 min of working out, so what your doing is great!!!!

strength training is great and i do have a weight machine in my garage and needless to say it has alot of dust on it, havent used it for years, after i had my 2 kids back to back, i developed this thyroid mess and it has made me gain weight and get depressed so I stopped working out on my treadmill, but i have to start because after moving to florida its pure torture! to see all these pretty people all over the place with nice bodies, and I feel like a big fat blimp among all these girls, even older ladies look better than me

anyway I wanted to add that I found a chart online that tells you what your ideal heart rate should be do a search on this "Training Heart Rate Calculator "

anyway thanks for the advice i will definately have to do at least 30 min of exercise daily and start soon, my mother in law is coming to visit in 2 months and I am dreading the day she seems me, cause I know she will say i am fat, anyway i am 180 and my ideal weight should be about 145 or so, Thanks and good luck

Last edited by jennyVee; 04-28-2006 at 05:19 PM.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

MollyAnn...you are definitely inspiring us! Way to go!

JennyVee, I wanted to add that hyperT causes muscle weakness and muscle loss. Those symptoms effect everyone differently.

I myself don't have much of the heart issues related to hyperT. But my muscles suck. NO joke. But when your muscles are weak it is easier to pull or strain your muscles.

I read somewhere that it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes(?) to recover from exercising (heartrate and breathing to return to normal). At that time it took me about 1- 1 & 1/2 hours to recover from 20-30 min of workout. (Definitely too long.) So I cut back, and cut back some more, and....Anyway, I had to actually quit exercising daily for awhile.

Then I found out about my hyperT last Nov. As my levels have come down, my muscles are sloooooowly feeling better. I can actually take short walks on my street now. Woohoo! Nowhere near where I used to be but....Woohoo! (At one point I was walking approx 3 miles every evening on my street.) It is feeling sooooo good to get back at it!

So my advice is...Be sure to let the trainer you get know your condition. Go slow. Find your tolerance level. Then build from there.

Best wishes and keep us posted
Hyperkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Old 04-29-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
(female)

mollyann HB User

Two things you guys:

1. Remember, I said strength training/lifting weights means you'll add the much needed muscle and I swear you will not look ever like a female bodybuilder. Those women take steroids and many times testoserone to look like that. It's ugly believe me. As you guys know. You'll need to eat more protein when you lift weights.
2. Lifting weights will increase your stamina and make cardio much much easier. I promise. I know.....I was in the most awful condition when I began all this way back in the early 90s.
3. As for explaining your condition to your trainer....you of course should. But believe me, the trainer will not understand nor have the slightest clue about what you really are going through/feeling like. Trainers are kids who are usually in their 20s/sometimes 30s. They don't get it. I promise. I know this after 16 years as a gym rat.
4. A home gym is great. But you have to use it of course.
5. Lastly? I am not a certified trainer but I do train. Whom? Women and some guys but the gym likes me to work with the women who are late 30s/40s/50s and up. You know, the old people.
6. Forgot - remember.....water, water, water...all throughout your workout. Don't drown yourself but it's vital to really hydrate. You want to eat carbos before your workout...not much but a little. Then protein/protein/protein after your workout. And it's vital you take in the protein within an hour of your workout. Just a hint from an old gym rat.
7. Oh and no, I was NOT a size 4 when I started in the early 90s. I did lose weight, get incredibly toned, sleep like a baby, eat healthy without thought as I craved the good foods, had stamina I never dreamed possible, was wonderfully strong - well, at least I wasn't the weaking wussy I had been forever. I was amazed at how easy it was to carry in groceries etc.

Anyway, let me know if you want any other info from former tubby, flabby, weak female. And I love encouraging women to do this and not give up.

Important info once you start strength training:

At 3 weeks, you will notice a difference
At 3 months, others will notice a difference
At 6 months, you won't believe your stamina and your body
At 12 months, you'll be hot and beautiful
(that's to the world who couldn't believe you would do it nor look that good)

Last edited by mollyann; 04-29-2006 at 09:52 AM.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

Thanks for all the info! I am definitely going to print this thread for reference.

Most of my workouts through my life have been floor exercises (situps, leglifts, etc.). About two years ago I bought a set of 3lb dumbbells to include in my time. I thought it was age not allowing my arms to get and stay firmed up. (I was getting grandma's batwings. And I am in my late thirties.) They helped somewhat.

I eventually got very sore in the upper arms. I would lay off of or go light with the dumbbells. Then pick back up. The pain always came back. I have found out that the muscle weakness from hyperT can be worse in the upper arms and thighs.

Are there any suggestions you can make for me getting back at it quicker than the wait and see approach? I miss my exercising. The only thing is I actually am slowly feeling better. Even though I'm not actually exercising. Although right now I am viewing house work as exercise. And that is minimal right now. Any thoughts?

Hyerkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
(female)

appleofearth HB User

I've never been a gym person, mostly because it requires a lot of self motivation and since I've been ill I've found that I'll decide that I've done enough quite quickly

My exercise of choice is taekwondo and has been fantastic, there are loads of other exercise and fitness orientated martial arts type things out there these days like tae-bo and stuff for those of us that don't like hitting things...

My main bit of advice to anyone that wants to get back into exercising though is this: get a training buddy. Someone to encourage you and tell you to get off your arse and go exercise when you're feeling tired and for you to do the same for. My friends that I train with have played a large part in fighting the weight gain, still managed to get up to 13.5 stone though

Becky

Old 04-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hey Becky, good to see another fellow TKD student ! I started in October (my son has been in it for over a year now). I absolutely love it! What rank are you (I'm testing for my green tag in a couple of weeks and my son is testing for his red tag)?

JennyVee,

Swinging between hypo and hyper is rough! It can make exercising seem like a one step forward two steps back process. I don't have any suggestions but I can relate.

Tae kwon do has helped me because it gives me something to continually work towards at my own pace and at my own ability level. It's also an activity that I can do with my kids. It has enough repetition that I know what I'm doing but enough variety that it doesn't become monotonous (I've never been able to stick with aerobics).

Kelly

Old 04-30-2006, 03:41 AM   #9
(female)

appleofearth HB User

hey hey

Kelly: I got my 3rd Dan just over a year ago, been training for about 13 years - hate to think how much I would have ballooned in weight if I hadn't already been a high grade when I got ill, I was already beyond the point where I would have considered giving up. Good on you for sticking to it!

The structure and feeling of making progress is a really good motivator in martial arts, with something that's just a weekly session of the same stuff (like aerobics etc) skipping one doesn't seem like a big deal... with going to the gym it's all too easy for me to say "i'll go tomorrow" or something, my self motivation is shocking :P with my tkd classes if I miss a class I miss out on learning something...

Becky

Old 04-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Congratulations on your third Dan; that is fantastic! I'm encouraged that you're still pressing on.

Good on ya!

Kelly

Old 05-01-2006, 02:56 AM   #11
(female)

mangojunky HB User

I am new to the board, and glad I found this place. I am having hypo symptoms again after quitting smoking for the second time. The first time I was diagnosed, was after quitting smoking - and it was BAD. I tried to exercise, but didn't have the stamina or strength. I walked at lunch, but didn't do much else. I was able to join a gym, and do cardio and strength after my levels were closer to "normal". I would suggest taking walks, and doing some strength training. Exercise helps me both physically and mentally - try not to get too discouraged, if you keep at it, you will see results!
deb

Closed Thread