It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

stephanie867 HB User
New Here-Thyroid Cyst

Hi everyone, I'm new here, so bear with me.

I've been reading lots of posts but can't find anything like what's going on with me, but maybe someone can help.

My doc found my thyroid was enlarged in March. I've had a thyroid scan, a radioactive uptake scan and finally a biopsy. They've determined I have a complex cyst, but it's not cancerous. My endocrinologist, who I just saw this past Wednesday, gave me a prescription for synthroid, hoping that it will shrink the cyst. I believe she said it was about 3cm, which seems pretty big to me.

I also have difficulty swallowing sometimes, esp. if I'm concious of it, and also sore throat and ear pain that comes and goes.

I hate medications and don't do well on them. I also have bad anxiety issues and have read that synthroid can make them worse.

I'm going to see my naturopath on Monday to see if there is a natural way to shrink this thing.

Has anyone had any luck with shrinking a mostly fluid-filled cyst?

I trust my endocrinologist...she's great, very helpful, and received a couple of awards and has been doing this for 27 years. I know she wouldn't give me meds if she didn't think I needed them. She told me to stay on the synthroid (25mcg for the first 2 weeks, then 50mcg after that, assuming my body adjusts well and I don't wind up in the ER, again, thinking I'm having a heart attack).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stephanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Re: New Here-Thyroid Cyst

Hi Stephanie Welcome ~

My thyroid was enlarged, so I had ultra sound, then Nuclear scan, also non-cancerous. It kept enlarging, so they ended up removing right lobe of Thyroid last fall. Synthroid & Zoloft were NOT a good combo for me. Honestly, I don't think Syn & my body were a good mix anyway , , ,

wanted to reply in the hopes that someone else could give you more info

good luck,
Sue

Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Welcome Stephanie
Your anxiety problems may be due to your thyroid problem. T4 meds are what your body normally produces, so they are not like some other meds. Some people have a problem with synthroid and they switch to levothyroxine or armour.

Are you taking anything for your anxiety? Those drugs can interfer with thyroid drugs. 25 is a very small dosage of synthroid. Do you have any test results for the thyroid? TSH, T4, T3, FreeT4, FreeT3, or anibodies tests? If so, post them with the ranges.

My nodule was 3.2 cm suspicious of cancer, so removed whole thyroid. I have heard of some people shrinking them the way your doc is doing it.

Hopefully someone who has been there will jump in here!
Take care.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

stephanie867 HB User

No, I don't take anything for anxiety. I try to stay away from medication, since I don't do well with it. I take extra B-complex vitamins, stay away from caffeine, but do have Xanax in case of emergency (1/2 a .25mg pill is enough to calm me down - and I haven't even taken that in a couple of months).

I don't have my results handy, but my bloodwork came back fine...I'm not hyperthyroid, nor hypothyroid. The synthroid, she said, is specifically so that my thyroid won't have to work and maybe the cyst will shrink.

Thanks for your replies. I'll post my bloodwork soon.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
(female)

be blessed HB User

I have been on synthroid for about 7 years now to either shrink or keep a nodule from growing. The nodule did initially shrink some but not all together. I have not had any noticiable side effects of the synthroid. All my labs also came back normal. I do sometimes have both symptoms of hypo and hyper. The nodule is somewhat smaller than it was to begin with, but has been about the same size for the last 5-6 years. I hope things go well with you.

Last edited by be blessed; 05-09-2006 at 04:59 PM.

Closed Thread