It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User
Need to vent, new Endo is the worst so far.

A new doctor (DO) I saw for severe itching in early January let me switch from Synthroid to Armour. We thought we started slow, but do to pharmacy mistake, I was taking 1 grain from the get go instead of ľ grain and up to 3 grains without knowing. After learning of this we did blood tests and removed Synthroid completely and surprisingly my tests were in range. I was really feeling good, better than in many, many years. Tests kept coming back okay but with room for more improvement and we moved up some more each time, making it to 3 grains for about 4 days. Then on March 20th, I came in a little over hyper on TSH, FT3 and FT4, with the FT4 a lot more than FT3. Had been off Synthroid 8 weeks now. Had almost no side effects, basically some fast heating and fatigue (but used to that), so we reduced Ĺ grain immediately and another Ĺ grain 4 weeks ago and she wanted me to see an Endo because sheís not a thyroid expert. So now I am on 2 grains a day. I really wanted to continue with her, but she was uncomfortable I think because of the hyper side.

She referred me to a doctor that ended up not working with Armour. She referred to another and I called to make sure and his office said yes he did. I couldnít get an appt. until end of June. Since Iím not working right now, I made sure they put me on a cancellation list and I got in this Saturday AM. After waiting 1.5hrs in waiting room, finally saw doctor. Barely talked with me, looked at last results (3/20) and wanted to switch me from Armour back to Synthroid and Cytomel. Doesnít like the natural thyroid due to inconsistent and continued to explain itís unstable and the kicker was made from BEEF, you know, Armour Meat Company. Doesnít think anyone really needs T3, but some patients are persistent, so he will do low dose. As he started to write prescription, never finished, I asked about new tests and he agreed after some pushing and explained I went down 1 grain over a month ago. But he wrote only TSH and FT4, I had to basically beg for the FT3 and mentioned I always get them done. At this point I could tell he wanted me gone and I wanted to be out of there too. I call back on Tuesday or Wednesday for results.

I will post results when I get them and I already know to DUMP him. I just donít know where to go anymore. Many doctors (and have called many) will not prescribe natural thyroid and I only have about 1 month left on them. Do I go back to my sweetie DO doctor that switch me and beg her to try again or try Synthroid and Cytomel? BTW, I never felt better on Synthroid other than some more sleep at night. From the very 1st day on Armour, I started to feel like a million bucks and things keep improving. I do have some lingering issues, which I didnít bring up, but much better than last year. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated. Thank you all for letting me vent here. It's so nice to know I am not the only one. Have a great weekend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Re: Need to vent, new Endo is the worst so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInIllinois
A new doctor (DO) I saw for severe itching in early January let me switch from Synthroid to Armour. We thought we started slow, but do to pharmacy mistake, I was taking 1 grain from the get go instead of ľ grain and up to 3 grains without knowing. After learning of this we did blood tests and removed Synthroid completely and surprisingly my tests were in range. I was really feeling good, better than in many, many years. Tests kept coming back okay but with room for more improvement and we moved up some more each time, making it to 3 grains for about 4 days. Then on March 20th, I came in a little over hyper on TSH, FT3 and FT4, with the FT4 a lot more than FT3. Had been off Synthroid 8 weeks now. Had almost no side effects, basically some fast heating and fatigue (but used to that), so we reduced Ĺ grain immediately and another Ĺ grain 4 weeks ago and she wanted me to see an Endo because sheís not a thyroid expert. So now I am on 2 grains a day. I really wanted to continue with her, but she was uncomfortable I think because of the hyper side.

She referred me to a doctor that ended up not working with Armour. She referred to another and I called to make sure and his office said yes he did. I couldnít get an appt. until end of June. Since Iím not working right now, I made sure they put me on a cancellation list and I got in this Saturday AM. After waiting 1.5hrs in waiting room, finally saw doctor. Barely talked with me, looked at last results (3/20) and wanted to switch me from Armour back to Synthroid and Cytomel. Doesnít like the natural thyroid due to inconsistent and continued to explain itís unstable and the kicker was made from BEEF, you know, Armour Meat Company. Doesnít think anyone really needs T3, but some patients are persistent, so he will do low dose. As he started to write prescription, never finished, I asked about new tests and he agreed after some pushing and explained I went down 1 grain over a month ago. But he wrote only TSH and FT4, I had to basically beg for the FT3 and mentioned I always get them done. At this point I could tell he wanted me gone and I wanted to be out of there too. I call back on Tuesday or Wednesday for results.

I will post results when I get them and I already know to DUMP him. I just donít know where to go anymore. Many doctors (and have called many) will not prescribe natural thyroid and I only have about 1 month left on them. Do I go back to my sweetie DO doctor that switch me and beg her to try again or try Synthroid and Cytomel? BTW, I never felt better on Synthroid other than some more sleep at night. From the very 1st day on Armour, I started to feel like a million bucks and things keep improving. I do have some lingering issues, which I didnít bring up, but much better than last year. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated. Thank you all for letting me vent here. It's so nice to know I am not the only one. Have a great weekend.
Have you tried calling some Drs out of town ? Too bad you didnt live near Florida every Dr Ive ran into here loves dishing out Armour b/c its the more natural approach..Take Care

Old 04-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Need to vent, new Endo is the worst so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInIllinois

Go back to the D.O. I love my D.O., I won't go to an M.D. as my primary doctor. M.D.s don't seem to know how the body works. D.O.'s have a lot more training in body works. That doctor is an idiot. Armour is NOT made by the meat backers. Infact armour is desicated pork...not beef. I would do my research on armour. Also i would search (FDA raises concerns about Synthroid). It is synthetic. The FDA threatened to ban it from the market. Did you say that guy was an ENDO? I have other names for him but endo is not one that comes to mind. Yes people can sometimes ONLY need T3. Armour is both T3 and T4. I think it is time that we start complaining to the state boards about any doctor who treats us like dirt or who is just plain stupid.

Closed Thread