It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
(female)

mangojunky HB User
supplements?

Hi everyone, I am new to this board, but not new to hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed 8 or 9 years ago, after I quit smoking. Well, I started smoking again, and just quit again, so I am keeping a close eye on how I feel. I notice that I am feeling bloated after I eat, and my nails are peeling, and my throat feels slightly swollen. I will be going in to have my TSH checked soon - like tomorrow morning! My question to everyone here is: have you found any supplements that help your symptoms - in addition to synthroid. I went to the health food store, and got a digestive aid. There are also thyroid supplements out there - does anyone have any experience with those?
I also need to rethink when I take my synthroid - I think it's too close to coffee time.

any and all information is greatly appreciated!
deb

Old 04-30-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: supplements?

Hi mangojunky, welcome to the board
I don't take any supplements, sorry - no experience there.
As far as the thyroid meds take 2 hrs after eating or 1 hour before with a glass of water. I find am is best and drink my coffee right after if it is ready - a lot of others here do this also and I guess have not noticed any problems with it. Calcium does interfere with the thyroid med absorption, so I don't eat any dairy products or take any "One a day" type vitamins with calcium until 4 hrs after the meds.

Last edited by illmakeit; 04-30-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

appleofearth HB User

hello there

I take evening primrose oil and cod-liver oil as they have omega 3 and 6 in them which help general skin condition, I find that my skin isn't as dry when I'm taking them. I usually take my thyroxine as soon as I wake up and then eat my breakfast about an hour later. Then I take my supplements before bed.

I'd be wary of things that claim to just be thyroid supplements - check with your doctor before you take them in case they have something that interacts with your Synthroid.

Becky

Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
(female)

Kharma HB User

When I quit smoking a little over 2 years ago, my TSH skyrocketed. I had been on the same dose of Synthroid for years so it was weird. I knew my levels were off because my hair was falling out, I was soooooo tired and the brain fog was horrible. Firts Dr. I went to said it was in my head, my TSH had just been checked 3 months earlier (before I quit smoking) and it was fine. The next Dr. and the one I've kept said "yep, sounds like thyroid is off, let's test"

My Dr. explained that's it's not uncommon because smoking artificially raises the metabolism and that somehow ties in to TSH and all that... basically for whatever reasons when you quit smoking, metabolism motors down to 'normal" levels and one becomes under medicated.

Also, I've read exsmokers often times develop Graves. I don't understand how it all ties in to what my Dr. explained and I might not be remembering his words exactly, but after living thru that crash I know something happens when you quit. So, yeah getting your levels checked after quitting smoking is a good thing. Do you check free T3's and free T4's also? If not it's a good idea to.

I do take supplements btw. I'm on a multivitamin and fish/flaxseed oils. There was a huge difference in my skin and nails once I added in the oil capsules. I swear by them.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:02 AM   #5
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Thanks for the info everyone. I take my levoxyl in the morning, but have coffee (with half and half) soon after. I wonder if I should try to take my medication at night - if I stop eating a few hours before bedtime - or if I should switch to non-dairy creamer.
I will be having my blood drawn tomorrow morning, and will ask my doctor to put in an order for a full work-up.
It's great to find such knowledgeable people!
deb

Closed Thread