It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
(female)

hashischic HB User
stressed to the max!!!!!! please help

I have been so exhauseted lately. Lately I eake up every morning feeling like my eyes are swelling shut because of all the puffyness in my face and I am ALWAYS thirsty...I last went to the dr. in Frebruary for blood work and my tsh was 5.93, FT4 was 1.13..the doctor decided NOT to up my medication which was .75mcg Synthroid...This suprised me but I supposed it shouldn't have because back in February the TSH was 4.02 and she did nothing. I miss the endo I saw last summer while I was home. She upped me when my TSH was 3.38 saying that I needed it to get down to around 1.5...I think she was good because she has Hashi's. But now since I am in college and money is scarce I have to go tot he college health services which is not always the best but it is free. Also, since January I have had what I thought was congestion in my throat..like somthing stuck in there but as much as I coughed I could never get anything out. I finnally made the connection that it could be my thyroid getting bigger. Today I woke up and took my Temp. it was 96.4...it has been lower before though. I am just really stressed becasuse my finals are in 2 weeks and I have all of this end of semester stuff to do and I am ALWAYS tired. People ask me why I dont go out and just have fun on the weekends but one night out even if I get in by 12 will ruin the whole next week for me. I feel like I can never get enough sleep. Are there any natural ways to help with hashi's if a doctor wont increase meds? Do you think that I am on enough?...any help would be apreciated...I just feel like such a hypochondriac somtimes because I complain about never feeling good but there are no visible symptoms. I think people treat thyroid problems..especially hypoT like they do Chronic Fatigue Syndrom..they act like it is all in your head and just do not understand...I have to show people research on it to get them to take it seriously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 06:49 AM   #2
(female)

SoManyFeelings HB User
Re: stressed to the max!!!!!! please help

Hi Hashischic, sorry to hear you're sooo exhausted and am sure others in here will be able to help you more than me when it comes to meds.

But, I just wanted to comment on your statement of "there are no visible symptoms" excluding how exhausted we look. In fact, that's pretty much the situation with so many conditions/diseases out there. What I'm getting at is, I remember yrs back when I was with my ex-husband, I was in so much pain with my back, etc. etc. etc. and he couldn't comprehend what I was saying or feeling ... whereas, I remembered asking the neurologist "is there anyway you can make me a body cast so my husband can understand I'm in pain?" ... of course he laughed and said yeah "that's pretty much how most people would only understand you're in pain".

So now, what I do is if I get the feeling that anyone gives me the sluggish back-off from what I'm saying of how I'm feeling ... then I pretty much back away, of course it does depend on who it is. But, with you being in college is very hard, as mostly everyone is so young and full of energy ... but, your most closest friends will understand and be there for you. I wish you the best, bye for now, Marty P.S. I'm sure you're do great on your finals!!

Old 04-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Oh my, hashischic, I do feel for you (((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))) from a grandma of a college student (I think she is hypo but hasn't been proved yet) Have you been tested for diabetes? The thirst is a clue to be tested for it. Until you can get an increase in meds (and that is one thing I think you need - maybe some T3) you might try avoiding some foods and adding selenium if you don't take it.
See our suggestions –I TRIED to put together a list of the long thread of foods – don’t know if I got them all, though. The MAIN problematic foods are listed, however. Selenium is something that may help you also.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=386261[/url]
A long thread:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=363081[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashischic
I just feel like such a hypochondriac somtimes because I complain about never feeling good but there are no visible symptoms. I think people treat thyroid problems..especially hypoT like they do Chronic Fatigue Syndrom..they act like it is all in your head and just do not understand...I have to show people research on it to get them to take it seriously.
You are NOT a hypochondriac!! You have real issues going on. I have fibromyalgia and was told by a number of docs it was all in my head and to see a shrink!
Is there another doc at the clinic you can see? I think an ultrasound of your thyroid should be done, and increase in Synthroid OR add Cytomel, OR change to Armour. However, a lot of docs don't believe in Cytomel or Armour.
Hopefully this will helpl you get through your finals!
Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I would recommend contacting your endo and getting her to write a letter to the school health clinic explaining why you should get more medication.

And you are very undermedicated.

I remember when I was at my MOST hypo - I always thought I was choking on something.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

SarahF - good thinking! I would never have thought of that.
Meanwhile, hashischic, you might try diet and selenium to help since you only have 2 wks til finals.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User

Here's what I would do:
- go to student health right away and have them check your blood sugar. Excessive thirst can be a sign of Type I diabetes, and people with autoimmune thyroid disease are at a slightly higher risk of Type I diabetes. This could be dangerous so get it checked out now.

- Between now and when you get home after finals, why not take an extra 1/2 tablet twice a week of your Synthroid? That would be a small increase in your dose (averaging just 7.5 mcg per day, increasing your dose from 0.075mg to 0.088 mg). Making that small an increase on your own won't hurt you, and it may just tide you over until you can get to see your endo at home after finals.
- also take a good multivitamin, an extra iron pill, and one selenium tablet a day for now - may help you use the thyroid hormone you have better. And make sure you are taking your Synthroid on an empty stomach to get the best absorption - one hour before meals or two hours after (I take mine first thing in the morning, then wait an hour to eat breakfast).

This summer, get your endo to adjust you properly, then see if they will consult by phone about your lab results and any dosage changes needed during the year. College is hard enough without brain fog too!!!!

Ellie

Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie342
Here's what I would do:
- go to student health right away and have them check your blood sugar. Excessive thirst can be a sign of Type I diabetes, and people with autoimmune thyroid disease are at a slightly higher risk of Type I diabetes. This could be dangerous so get it checked out now.

- Between now and when you get home after finals, why not take an extra 1/2 tablet twice a week of your Synthroid? That would be a small increase in your dose (averaging just 7.5 mcg per day, increasing your dose from 0.075mg to 0.088 mg). Making that small an increase on your own won't hurt you, and it may just tide you over until you can get to see your endo at home after finals.
- also take a good multivitamin, an extra iron pill, and one selenium tablet a day for now - may help you use the thyroid hormone you have better. And make sure you are taking your Synthroid on an empty stomach to get the best absorption - one hour before meals or two hours after (I take mine first thing in the morning, then wait an hour to eat breakfast).

This summer, get your endo to adjust you properly, then see if they will consult by phone about your lab results and any dosage changes needed during the year. College is hard enough without brain fog too!!!!

Ellie
Normally i would never self dose , except with supplements...but i have been in your position with finals. I think taking the extra synthroid is an excellent idea...It won't hurt you. I still think (no i know) you must have a Free T3 test. I also think you are low in magnesium... Until u have that tested...take a magnesium supplement. At least 200-400 mgs of elemental magnesium... Watch for diarreah... if you get it cut back a little on the magnesium... When your finals are over...search (low magnesium and thyroid)..also (symptoms of low magnesium0... Your picture is there too... good luck on the finals.. (Doctors are not always right...in fact they rarely are)

Closed Thread