It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Uptake scan tomarrow.............

Hey guys-

Just a short post to let you know that I have that uptake scan tomarrow. I do hate it just because I feel like it takes up the whole day. I know it will pay off though to decide my RAI dosage which I am actually looking forward too. I want so bad to start on the road to recovery and healing. I really haven't been posting much one because I did an about face on RAI and I know there are alot of RAI opponets out there. I am looking at it this way. I really don't have any more options than RAI considering I do not have graves and I have to do something to benefit my self and my family. I have just been browsing on here and not saying much but I thought you guys would still like to know how my progress is coming whether or not you agree.

Take Care- Nikki

Old 05-01-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User
Re: Uptake scan tomarrow.............

Hey, Nikki.....We still need all opinions. So keep us posted on how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Hyperkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

Hi Nikki ~ long time no hear much from you! (((((((hugs)))))))

I haven't been here long, but my attitude is: PopularSHMOPULAR !!! A patient needs to do WHAT they FEEL is RIGHT for THEIR BODY, ~ ~ its a personal choice ~ ~ But then, OUR BODY is kind of personal too

few times I've commented on RAI - I wish I had NOT, so to ME!

We want you on the road to recovery & healing too,
Sue

Old 05-01-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Nikki,

I KNEW you were lurking around all the time!!! Just because some people don't agree with you, please don't stay away! I know you are trying to do what is best for you - and you have checked out all possibilites and are well informed. We all have to make our own choices - and we are all different. That's what makes the world interesting!!

That being said, please let us know how it is all going when you feel up to it. Others here that are perhaps going to have RAI can certainly benefit - and those who have been through it may be able to help you. I am praying for you and your family - this is for you and them ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))!!

Wish we lived closer - you could fix my hair soon! It REALLY needs it!!!!

Old 05-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hey Guys-

Thank You for your support. It really does mean alot. I had the 1st scan done at 10:00 a.m. and then I go back at 2:00 for the 2nd and then tomarrow at 9:00. The worst part was NO COFFEE this morning. UGH...........

It is so time consuming. The tech said there was alot of activity this morning. Quite the busy thyroid-BIG SUPRISE- I expected no less because I feel like POO POO.

It is nice to still have my thyroid family. You guys have really been here to help me start on my road to recovery. Thanks again for being here.

(((((HUGS))))) back at ya'

Nikki

Old 05-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi nikNat~

Best of luck on the uptake. You've done your research and made your decision! I'm behind you all the way. Don't stay away........you still need support & you've been a tremendous help to many here, it's your turn.
Thinking of you,
Rachel

Old 05-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
(female)

TEEEB HB User

Hi Nikki,

My husband choose the RAI for his graves. He did this before we were married and he did it because his doctor (PCP) told him it was the best option. He didn't do half of the research or give it a tenth of the consideration you have... and he is fine. I send you (((hugs))). You are a brave and generous woman.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Again Thanks all for your support ..............

So update on how the scan is going. I had my last one done 3 years ago which showed a single "hot" nodule. At that time I had NO idea what was going on in my body, what they were looking for, or what any of it meant. Now is different and I asked the nuclear guy how my nodule was looking and he looked at me kinda strange and said "what nodule". I laughed because of course things have changed and did they ever. He let me sit with him and look at my images. My entire right lobe is lighting up and the left lobe is starting too. I do not want to read into things until I speak with my endo (you fellow hyperT's know what the thyroid lighting up means). Any way I was sure things progressed with it but I did not realize they had progressed to this point. I know my new endo ordered the uptake to get the RAI dosage but it is showing alot more than a nodule. Any input on what you think is welcome good and bad. I would love to hear what you guys think.

Nikki

Old 05-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

It sounds like your thyroid is definitely over producing (mainly on one side). Ask your dr if the left lobe is at "normal" uptake levels. Nodules can shrink and resolve themselves. It just means that your hypert is not coming from a "hot" nodule.

Be sure to ask your dr if RAI is absulutely necessary after these scan results are all in. Would it be possible to have only the right side of your thyroid surgically removed? Just a thought.

Best wishes to you,
Hyperkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Old 05-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hey Kim-

Yeah I was a little shocked to see my thyroid on the scan. I never gave surgery a 2nd thought. When I had the last scan I don't believe the left side lit up at all. Today they were both lit even though the right side more so then the left. There was no nodules just brightly lit thyroid with alot of activity. I am really curious as to what is going to happen now. I have to go back at 9:00 a.m. I will post tomarrow after the last scan.

Nikki

Old 05-03-2006, 05:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hey All-

So I finished the scan yesterday and all went o.k. The nuclear guy said everything was way above normal and was showing alot of activity. I will wait for something from my endo for a few days. I don't know what is going to happen next but I am quite anxious to get the ball rolling.

Take care-

Nikki

Closed Thread