It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

shortybme HB User
Question Could this be a thyroid problem

Hello everyone . I am new to this board and i have some question's that i hope some of you here might be able to give me some advice on . Okay so here's my story . I have been suffering from ppd and panic attack's for about 2 year's now and i have been on all type's of antidepressant's but none seem to work me back to normal . So lately i have been feeling very very fatigue and wanting to sleep all of the time . I probably sleep more than i am awake but even when i wake up i still feel so so tired and drained of energy . I also feel weak and dizzy at time's and i am so hungry all of the time like i can eat a full meal and be starvinfg 30 minute's later . If i don't eat right away when i get hungry then i feel very weak and like i am going to pass out or just fall down . I am gaining weight like crazy and hate it . I also get a sore throat from time to time and feel a closing feeling in my throat as well . I have oanic attack's so i am terrified of blood work in fear that i might pass out so i went to my doctor to address this issue and she said it could be hypoglycemia and told me what to do but she said that if i diden't feel better in 2 week's that i needed to come back and get blood work done to check my thyroid . But i haven't went back to the doctor yet because i am terrified to get blood work done i just have this gut feeling that i will pass out and it has been almost a month since my doctor told me this . I was just hoping that some one could tell me if this sound's like thyroid problem's and if there is anyway of taking care of it with out getting blood work done . I also have to get up in the middle of the night and eat because i am so hungry that it disturb's my sleep .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User
Re: Could this be a thyroid problem

You know, here's the key to having blood drawn - people who pass out do so because they drop their blood pressure. If you insist on lying down while they draw your blood, and stay lying down for a few minutes after, you will not faint, okay?

Ellie

Old 04-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
(female)

shortybme HB User
Question Re: Could this be a thyroid problem

Thank you Ellie i diden't know that . It still scare's the crap out of me but just the fatc of having blood drawn but i believe that i can deal with that just knowing that if i lay down that i won't pass out . I have soem valume for the panic attack's it's kind of like xanax . I wonder if i could take one of those before going in to have the blood drawn .

Old 04-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Ok well you should go back and get blood drawn. Even if you pass out so what. You might think I'm just not understanding but let me tell you my story then you'll understand how important this might be. I was tired all the time if i could i would also sleep more than i was awake. I was very Hypo, Thanks to the fact that i didn't see a doc for around four years, I didn't know i was sick and being very hypo you can't think for yourself I lost four years of my life. Now i have an ENLARGED HEART, I had was carrying around 60lbs of water, I have stretch markes on my body. So if you if have hypothyroidism Do you want to end up like me? Do you want an enlarged heart? I think passing out and your fear of needles, is ok, but it would be well worth it to find out whats wrong.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
(female)

shortybme HB User

WoW Adam i had no idea that thyroid problem's could be that dangerous . I guess i better get my butt to the doctor . My doctor just told me that u needed to get blood work done because i could get tumor's in my throat if i had a thyroid problem but i had no idea other wise . Thank you .

Old 04-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortybme
WoW Adam i had no idea that thyroid problem's could be that dangerous . I guess i better get my butt to the doctor . My doctor just told me that u needed to get blood work done because i could get tumor's in my throat if i had a thyroid problem but i had no idea other wise . Thank you .
Fast poster you are. I wouldn't worry about the tumor thing to much, people with thryroid problems have a slightly higher risk but nothing to worry about. I think he was just trying to scare you into getting blood drawn. I thought hearing some of my story would get you in. It's been a hard 4 years but i'm getting through it. Take care and good luck.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
(female)

shortybme HB User

Thank you and good luck to you to .

Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
(female)

shortybme HB User

Oh man my throat is so so sore today i hope it's nothing serious .

Old 05-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

I have had every one of your problems and have Hashi's.
GL!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi shorty,

I was going to reply with exactly what Ellie had said about lying dwn while having your blood drawn. Passing out is the bodies way of protecting itself, example, B/P drops, you pass out, now your head is at level with your body, B/P returns to normal.
You'll be fine if you lie dwn.........Dont think too much about it. I know that the Xanax should not affect the results (I'm on a similiar) and have never had a problem but double check w/ the Dr.

Another thing is this....perhaps it helps. Most people who are sensitive and scared of getting blood drawn is due to the fact that you see HOW much blood is coming out into All those lil bottles. Fact is, its such a small amount......my Dr once told me people think it looks like so much, commenting on "oh my, how much are you taking". He says its like a tablespoon, same as menstruation goes, looks a lot more than it really is.
So if it helps any, lie down & keep telling yourself, its not a lot of blood!
Relax, get it done, its vital to your health. You'll do fine.
Good luck, we hope to hear good news!'
Rachel

Old 05-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
(female)

MarlaP HB User

I hate having my blood taken, but it seems like it's one of those unfortunate things you have to suffer through sometimes. I find that as long as I breathe REALLY deeply, focus my eyes on anything other than what's going on, and have an intense (ideally funny) conversation in my head, the whole thing goes a whole lot better. Plus it doesn't really take that long, so imagine just a few unpleasant minutes, and then hopefully they'll be able to make you feel so much better. Seems worth it to me.

Closed Thread