It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

Hammy5 HB User
Strange Swallowing Question

I think that I am having a really hard time swallowing when I sleep. I don't have a sore throat or anything like that so it is not that. I do know that with my hypo problems I always feel like I have a something stuck in the back of my throat. It seems to sometimes be better with my medication but I always know when my medication is not working because I get this feeling back. But I will literally startle myself awake because I am not swallowing. Does anyone know what this might be?

Kristine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User
Re: Strange Swallowing Question

You mentioned yourself the different feelings in your own throat when hypo compared to non-hypo periods. So I lean toward your instincts that it is thyroid related.

Could it be a type of sleep apnea? Possibly as another symptom that comes on when your levels are not right? Just a thought...
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
(female)

Hammy5 HB User

Could be. I really think that I need to go in for a sleep study anyway.

I am so sick of this thyroid crap. My Dr.'s are so darn slow at upping my dosage! I started at 25 mcg in JANUARY and they have only upped me to 50 mcg so far.

Kristine

Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

I have Hashi's and have been on all different Synthroid doses (.50 to .100). Last TSH was 3.84 with .05mg and I still feel crappy. My levels have been from 0.01 to 8.34 since September (my RE took me off Synthroid for a month after I went hypo...I don't go to him anymore). I started having throat problems in the fall of '04. I remember pulling at my t-shirt thinking it was choking me but it wasn't around my neck (real loose). I get that off and on, sometimes in a 4-5 day spurt. I also get a feeling of a raw throat-lump thing going on, plus a pressured feeling on my throat. I often feel short of breath. Sometimes my tongue feels really thick and I can't speak correctly.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i've had recurring throat troubles for over a year. 'tight throat' 'lump in throat' 'slimey throat' 'pressure throat'. all of it. endo's tell me i may just have a sensitive throat that responds greatly to any inflammation of the thyroid. i dont know. it comes and goes. i find it very annoying and uncomfortable and sometimes scary. when it really bothers me, i try putting moist heat on it but i'm not sure it really helps. usually i cant stand any pressure on my throat - no matter how light.

i also have gerd, so that doesnt help. i take nexium for that.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
(female)

mcbeth54 HB User

I have days where I keep swallowing trying to get that "lump" to go on down, then other days are fine. Wonder if something could be triggering it stress maybe. Hypo symptoms come and go though don't they.

Last edited by mcbeth54; 05-04-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Closed Thread