I also had very high levels of mercury and had my 10 amalgams removed in Oct. I worked with a medical institure that was very knowlegeable in the process and I did some DMPS IV's over the next 3 months to help clear the mercury out.
Do your research because if the process is not done properly you can end up a lot worse off than before you started. Mercury is supposed to be damaging to the thyroid. I've lowered my dose some since so I'm assuming removing the mercury load has helped some.
I had alot of fillings removed also about 4 years ago. The dentist you use should put a "dam" inside your mouth to prevent any particles from going down your throat. It sounds weird, like how am I going to breath?!? But you breathe through your nose and they have an airflow going around your face to "vacuum" up any floating particles.
The DMPS IV I had, about 30 minutes afterwards as I was going home, I got a real nervous, jittery feeling. For ME, I know drinking milk calms me, so I bought a bottle of milk and drank it. It helped. Later I read that the treatment not only pulls out the mercury, but other minerals as well. That could explain why I felt like I did.
One more note. I had read to take vitamin C before the dental procedure, as it chelates the mercury out the body. Well, I did. Bad idea. My numbing agents never would take well, and they'd have to give me more. And sometimes it didn't deaden the procedure. I read later that vitamin c interferes with the numbing block!
I hope some of this helps. I did feel a little better afterward, but nothing dramatic.
I mainly did the mercury removal in hopes of helping me beat candida as there is a theory that you won't as long as you are mercury ridden. I can tell it has helped me with that respect.
Yes, my doc is the one who administered the IV's. I know there are some scare stories on DMPS but I did fine. I would feel pretty tired for about 24 hours but fine after that. I did not use a biological dentist as it was going to cost $5,000 with them but opted to use my local dentist. I had all 10 removed at once, got in the car and drove 3 hours to Dallas to the medical institute and did a 2 hour super IV to immediately start pulling any mercury that was stirred up by the removal procedure. Did 4 more IV's over the next 3 months then retested and my levels were in the acceptable range.
As I said, this is not something I would attempt without researching a lot as I've read of people ending up with chronic fatigue when it was not done properly. For me, I was told I had chronic fatigue for 18 months before I finally found the institute I'm working with and found out my thyroid and adrenals were not working.