It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User
Question about Active Graves

Ok the doctors and the people here seem to agree that if TSI is high when you have Graves that means that it is active. So my question is that if TSI is high and you are hypo then does that tell the doctors that it is possiable that TED is active as well? ANYONE??? Just wondering because I would think that if your antibodies are high then you would have things going on no matter what even if you are hypo....and does anyone know if there are other things that go on with your thyroid when you are hypo and have Graves. I am just wondering, because my logical mind tells me that if there is a thyroid problem and they take the thyroid away wouldn't there be some kind of problem when they add the same stuff back that your body was seeming to produce in the first place? I know lots of questions just things going threw my mind that would baffle anyone.LOL I know that the body thinks it's attacking the thyroid because it thinks it's a foreign object or whatever, but why would it think that? whatever makes it think that couldn't it be the hormones that it is producing in the first place??? Ok enough, anyone think they can answer these question please do!!!!!!!

Last edited by lookin4aclue; 05-01-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
(female)

confused725 HB User
Re: Question about Active Graves

Hi lookin,

Just had to say your mind is a lot like mine, hehee
I'm looking foward to the answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

tkopp HB User

From what I understand, the TSI antibodies attack actual tissue....the thyroid, skin (on various body parts), behind your eyes, etc. The hormone replacements they give for hypo just tricks your body into thinking it still has a thyroid so that your other hormone producing entities will continue to function properly. So since it's not actual tissue, the antibodies don't attack. That's what my endo tells me anyway...since she's trying to convince me to have RAI and go hypo. I hope that helps!
Tuesday

Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

TSI is just one of the thyroid antibodies. TSI stimulates the thyroid gland to overproduce thyroid hormone and therefore causes hyperthyroidism due to Graves disease.

There are other antibodies which block thyroid hormone and bind thyroid hormone - these will render the patient HYPOthyroid.

A single patient can have any combination of these antibodies. Their symptoms and their thyroid levels will reflect whichever antibody is dominant (in largest supply) at the time of the blood draw.

I don't know if you are taking ATD's or not, but if you are taking ATD's being on too high of a dose can also make you HYPOthyroid.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

K9mom,

I think Lookin4aclue had RAI two years ago. In the last few months has developed eye symptoms. I think she posted her story in with the regular threads. You might be able to do a search for it. (The stories thread was closed because of length.)

Good to see you back
Hyperkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Old 05-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4aclue
Ok the doctors and the people here seem to agree that if TSI is high when you have Graves that means that it is active. So my question is that if TSI is high and you are hypo then does that tell the doctors that it is possiable that TED is active as well? ANYONE??? Just wondering because I would think that if your antibodies are high then you would have things going on no matter what even if you are hypo....and does anyone know if there are other things that go on with your thyroid when you are hypo and have Graves. I am just wondering, because my logical mind tells me that if there is a thyroid problem and they take the thyroid away wouldn't there be some kind of problem when they add the same stuff back that your body was seeming to produce in the first place? I know lots of questions just things going threw my mind that would baffle anyone.LOL I know that the body thinks it's attacking the thyroid because it thinks it's a foreign object or whatever, but why would it think that? whatever makes it think that couldn't it be the hormones that it is producing in the first place??? Ok enough, anyone think they can answer these question please do!!!!!!!

I had RAI 2 years ago. For a few months after RAI, my eyes became very red, dry, blurry vision.Also had to have stronger lens for my glasses. Had extreme heart palpitations while on PTU and beta blockers. They didn't do much good for me, but without them there is no telling what would have happened to my heart.

Now I am taking .1 mcgs of levoxyl. Been on it for 6 weeks, am having very red dry eyes. My left eye seems a bit larger then the right at times.

My left eye also has a thick layer of corneal fluid on the left corner. It seems to cause my vision to be blurry. I do have allergies to pollen, and this time of the year it really acts up.

I did have proptosis in the active part of Graves(what an awful time I have to say). My eye doctor noticed a tear in the corner of the eye where the corneal fluid is thickest.

When I use the allergy eye drops it tends to clear the redness out of my eyes for most of the day.

I did go to an opthamologists at the time of graves diagnosis, and he said my eyes looked good.

Honestly, there are people that do have TED show up a few years after RAI.I have talked to them.

Closed Thread