It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Question Is reducing T-4 really necessary when starting Cytomel??

Hi everyone,

My endo was nice and agreed last week to let me try Cytomel, (Synthetic T3) to see if it might help with a few lingering and annoying symptoms I continue to suffer with. I was on Levothroid, 125 mcg's, and for the most part, most of my hypo symptoms were gone, only a few remained. My energy levels were pretty good too.
Anyway, my TSH was O.5 and my Free T4 was 1.6, (range was .8-1.7) and my Total T3...I can't remember...I think 160, with 2OO being the highest.

Anyway, she dropped my Levothroid from 125 mcg to 112. Is this what they usually do? Will the 1O mcg's of Cytomel I'm taking make up the differance? Does anyone know what adding Cytomel does to your T-4 levels???

I'm taking the CYTOMEL 2 times a day, (5 mcg's 2 x). Is it necessary too to take it twice a day, rather than once? I know it's short lived and all, but it is a hassle doing empty stomach meds twice a day, as I take a lot of supplements, and some other meds too.

Thanks for any advice or help in advance...
Deda

Last edited by Deda; 05-01-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User
Re: Is reducing T-4 really necessary when starting Cytomel??

10 mcg of cytomel is roughly equivalent to 37 mcg of Synthroid, so you will more than make up for the small decrease in your synthroid dose.

I take Cytomel and Synthroid, and I really feel it if I don't get that afternoon dose in. The half-life is short, so if you only take it once a day, you will probably find yourself getting tired in the evenings or afternoons.

I tend to eat frequently during the day and also have trouble getting that second dose in on an empty stomach - so if I've forgotten and eaten something too close to my dose, I take my dose sublingually (under the tongue) to maximize absorption.

Ellie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: Is reducing T-4 really necessary when starting Cytomel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie342
10 mcg of cytomel is roughly equivalent to 37 mcg of Synthroid, so you will more than make up for the small decrease in your synthroid dose.Ellie

Thanks Ellie!! I'm so glad to hear this!!

No...I was wondering if I could just take the whole 1O mcg's in the mornings...oh well, guess not. I'll just take it sublinguallly like you do, if I have eaten anything.

I was also wondering, how long before you noticed a differance in the way you were feeling?? So far I've been on it about one week and haven't really noticed much in the way I feel, really. I did read of one lady once saying that it took her 3 months before she noticed a differance with Cytomel. Can anyone answer that for me? Thanks

Deda

Closed Thread