It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User
Test results + ?s re Hashi's

Would someone please give me an idea of what my situation is based on these results? Thanks.

FT4 2.1 (told was high)
T3 uptake 35 (told was borderline high)
TSH 4.99 (told was borderline high)
TgAB 105 (told was high, s/b <20)
TPOab 18 (told was OK, s/b <35)

I have been on different Synthroid doses since this panel was done (Sept)and been all over the map with TSH (0.01 - 8.34) and am still trying to feel right. My RE and new endo both go by the older higher TSH levels (even though the endo was on the AACE website which suggests under .5 - 2.5 s/b normal). I know that docs shouldn't go by TSH alone, and that everyone feels different at different #s, blah blah blah.
My last TSH was 3.84 and I still feel crappy, although nowhere near as bad as when I was 8.34 in February.
The new endo told me I had Hashimoto's and it was good the RE caught it early. However he only ran a TSH test (I've heard this is normal if I recently had one done?) and said I was fine @ 3.84, even though he knew my whole history and knew how horrible I felt
I had to beg for .075mg Synthroid (was on .05mg) and am on that for 5 wks til he wants me tested again. I'm not even sure Synthroid alone is going to work for me.
The RE first tested me in Sept and I was @ 6.34 TSH, then he ran the full panel (ttls above). He was testing me every 2 wks and started me on .100mg Synthroid. I went to 0.01 TSH. Then 2 wks on .075mg had me @ 0.03 TSH. Thennnn, 2 wks on .05mg had me @ 0.03 TSH still. Thennnnn he took me off for 2 wks and I was @ 0.22 TSH. Another 2 wks off I was @ 8.34 TSH. He put me back on .05mg for 2 wks and I was 3.15 TSH. I was on that for over 2 months and was @ 3.84 TSH.
Has anyone had throat pressure, and the choking feeling even being in the "early" stages?
Also, have you read that people with Hashimoto's do not convert T4 to T3 well?
I read that if FT4 and T3 uptake are high that means there is a binding problem - is that true? Wouldn't that make sense if I have elevated TgAB?

TIA

Last edited by ttc1asap; 05-02-2006 at 07:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Re: Test results + ?s re Hashi's

Post the lab ranges in ( ) beside your test results and that will help. Also he didn't test your Ft3. That is very important and can make a big difference in how you feel if it is too low or too high or just out of balance with your Ft4. Also, it will tell if you are converting your T4 toT3. Your TSH is still way too high. It seems you do have hashimoto's since you have the TgAB.

What does the abbreviation "RE" stand for?

Also I think he is testing you too often. You should wait at least 4 weeks between testing and really most test every 6 wks until meds are adjusted. You don't get a true picture because it takes the t4 meds longer than 2 wks to level out. Both your FT3 and FT4 need to be in the upper 1/3 of the normal range.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

I don't have the lab ranges, sorry. I would have to call them up. I just had these numbers written down.
One reason I didn't go back to that RE (reproductive endocrinologist) was b/c I had read he tested me too often, and that he shouldn't have started me on .100mg. He also had me OFF meds for a month to see what was going on, and I was terribly sick and gained weight
Both he and my new endo go with the higher range, and even though I told them my symptoms they weren't willing to help me further, saying I'm "normal". I asked the endo to let me try .075mg again and he gave me the OK, surprisingly, after saying I should stay on .05mg and that I was "normal". I wonder if they would like to stay feeling how I feel. Grrrr!!!

Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc1asap
I wonder if they would like to stay feeling how I feel. Grrrr!!!
All of us who have dealt with doc's like that feel the same way!! I also sometimes wish it on their spouse - that is very mean sorry.

Closed Thread