It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

The2ofUs HB User
Sick and tired of being sick and tired!!

Two years since being diagnosed with hyper thyroid due to Graves. I have been given anti thyroid medication PTU, then RAI, now again I'm on medication Tapazol. I have short periods of time where I feel OK then bang, I'm not. I'm feeling really crappy lately, teary, unable to sleep a full night, hot, cold, hot mostly. I have been thinking of asking my Dr. to put me off work until this levels out...I have a job that really requires me to be focused on the client, not to mention the other dozens of parts to the job. I have stopped performing some of the other duties, waiting to feel better. I don't want to take time if this is as good as it gets. Is this it? Do I learn to just suck it up?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
(female)

tawnyjade HB User
Re: Sick and tired of being sick and tired!!

I'm hypo, so I don't know just how you are feeling. If it is as bad as I feel many days, I do understand that! I do also understand not wanting to be less than the best you can be at work. I just took 6 months off Temporary Disability Insurance due to a TT and voice issues from it. My company would not let me return to work until I could do so with no restrictions, or light duty. Went back to work yesterday. Man am I tired!
If you can get by on a partial paycheck, and you have the benefits available, definitelty you should take care of yourself!
Actually, you should ask for the time off if you are even considering it. You have to care for yourself before you can do a good job with other people's affairs. Do what you need to do for you!
Best health to you!!

Tawny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

Its funny that you say you are sick and tired of being sick and tired. I too have written the exact same post as you not to long ago. I am hyperT due to a "hot" nodule at one time but my uptake just showed differently. I really do understand where you are. I have not had treatment as of yet but will probably go the route of RAI. I am truely sorry your dr.s are not getting your hyperT under control. The rollercoaster gets quite old fast. Sometimes it does help just to vent here and get out your feelings. That is what we are here for. Have you been expressing your concerns to your dr? I don't think you should just suck it up but keep on your dr. about how you feel.

Nikki

Old 05-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

oh boy do i hear you. though i'm hypo, the issues of not feeling well for long periods of time is the same. also the issue of trying different treatments and still not feeling well, having to wait a long time to see if things improve, etc.

i've also considered that if i had a regular 9-5 type job there is NO WAY i could be dealing with this while working. fortunately i was able to start working more from home. not everyone has that benefit though. i would certainly be on disability otherwise. i think its a good idea you're considering it - the stress of trying to work at 100% when its physically impossible is not helping you.

if you think you've hit a dead-end with your current doctors, maybe start looking around for someone else? i'm sure you can feel better than you do, given the right treatment and time. dont give up hope!

Old 05-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
(female)

The2ofUs HB User

Thanks for the responses. I will be in to see my Dr. again soon. I do believe he is doing all that he can and it is just the nature of this illness, difficult to get under control. If I was sleeping better I would probably be able to handle the rest of it, but not being rested really interferes with ones ability to cope. One of my concerns about taking time off right now is that my Dr. says I will eventually go hypo, I am worried that I will be even more exhausted then and require time until stabilized...I am one of those individuals that does not function well when tired. Currently I have something like 6 weeks sick time (I've worked at this place a long time) but I really can't afford to take it all and need time later. Plus no one covers my job when I am not there. I will seriously look at the options with my Dr. when I go in to see him. Again thanks for the responses.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
(female)

Tammyshell HB User

I'm hypo as well as the others who posted, but I do get what you are saying! I've said the same thing many times over again. I'm always telling my mother and dad and my doctor the same thing. I don't cope well when I don't get enough sleep either, unfortunately lately, I've been so tired all I have done is sleep, but I have been in the position where I've been so sick that I can't sleep. And it's awful.

I'm fortunate enough too, where I don't have to work. I get SS for my son who is disabled and we are on welfare because my two children's father doesn't believe in child support. So I don't work and I like that better, because I can watch my children grow up. But I do sleep a lot. I don't think I could work now if I even tried it. I put in quite a few years at McDonalds because that was the only place that I could work "mommy hours". and I think it would kill me now. I was a CNA before then, and I couldn't lift then, either.

Keep hanging in there Darlin. Keep buggin the doc till he does something to help you. I bug the crap out of mine all the time so they will do what they need to do just to get me off their backs. It works if you do it enough too!

Take care and hugs,
Tammyshell

Closed Thread